So I got a job and I've been at it for two weeks now and I gave it a go but have decided that just in the short time I have been there that I really dislike it.

It's the first proper job I've had and the pay is very bad compared to what my friends who work in other places get. (£4.50 an hour is about $6.60)

I really want to quit but how does the job quitting process work? Do I have to give notice?

Help pit.

EDIT - For those enquiring, I work at Sainsburies.
Last edited by MH_Worshipper at Nov 18, 2008,
$6.60 is under minimum wage in NJ, that sucks pretty hard. just approach your boss and tell him you want out.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
What job is it?
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Baha I was in the exact situation a few months back. I just sucked at my job on purpose and got the sack. Was pretty good haha
Quote by Brian 1.0
Don't listen to him, he likes rap.

Quote by napalm_monkey
i like to drink washing up liquid, it makes my throat feel fresh and smell like plates.

Quote by thomaserak
kill yourself, that'll show 'em.
completely different then me im tryin to find a job ...my first one
I SAW YOUR MOMMY AND YOUR MOMMYS DEAD
Written notice depends on your terms of employment, if you are full time perm it is usually a month's written notice (from you), for part time it is usually a few weeks.

Check the contract my furry friend.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
You could just stop turning up but then it would be hard to get a reference, for futures sake i'd try and go about the proper way by talking to your boss etc. where do you work btw?
Just tell your boss you're giving him two weeks notice, although I'm in North America, and I'm not sure if it's different in Britain.
no, the pound is week at the moment, if your not gettin trainin thats bad pay, how old are you? you usually have to write a letter giving a weeks notice,
i started on £3.25 an hour but it was an apprenticeship
=---Can't stop addicted to the shindig!!
£4.50 is closer to $9 USD and you must be under 18 cos thats way under minimum wage, dont expect much better untilyou are over 18 either, most decent jobs wont even take you unless youre over 18.
Also... very few people like their jobs, just suck it up, life after school doesnt get any better.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Depends how old you are too. When you hit 18 it should go up by a good couple of pounds.
find another job...and just walk away, but pee in your boss's coffee before you go
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
its your first job, it has to suck, just stick with it for like 3/4 months, itll look good on your CV then you can give your 2 weeks notice
I Won't Let This Build Up Inside Of Me

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
Quote by alkalineweeman
£4.50 is closer to $9 USD and you must be under 18 cos thats way under minimum wage, dont expect much better untilyou are over 18 either, most decent jobs wont even take you unless youre over 18.
Also... very few people like their jobs, just suck it up, life after school doesnt get any better.

I disagree I love my job . Anyway basically you tell them that this is your two weeks notice and then you work for two more weeks and you never have to work there again.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Just be thankful you didn't work in an amusement park at the age of 15 during the summer with a wage of £3.50(!) an hour.

From that day on I vowed never to have kids, if I did, then I wouldn't spoil them like half the little shits that went there
I think you only have to give a weeks notice as you haven't been there long enough, put it in writing and basically just say you don't want to work there any more, or just don't turn up again.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Check your contract, it should say the notice period you have to give in it. If it doesn't, then you will have to give reasonable notice. Usually you will have to give at least a week's notice (though your boss will probably say 2) if you have been employed for one month or more. But you could just leave and never go back if you've been paid (and don't want a reference). But i would suggest handing your notice in in writing.
Quote by chrismetal86
Reporting threads is for lame-ass backseat modders
Last edited by double douche at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by tomisfatt01
Baha I was in the exact situation a few months back. I just sucked at my job on purpose and got the sack. Was pretty good haha

dumbass
the word reference mean anything to you.
potential employer "hey were calling about "insert name" "
past employer "yes that guy was the worst employee weve ever had"
potential employer "oh yea im not going to hire him whats his mother look like"
past employer "oh yea bob i aint gunna lie to you that was one piece of ass whyd you think we hired him"
Normally I'd advise you to give notice as its never good to burn bridges, but being that you've only been there 2 weeks, then I would just quit. If it's a job where you're not really gonna be missed, then I just wouldn't show up the next day.
Somewhere in a handbook or something there should be something that tells you what the company expects in terms of resignations. Over here in the States its normally two weeks. I would talk to your boss and tell him/her that you're really not enjoying it and see if there is anything else you can do. If not stick it out a month or two and then turn in a notice and resign. That way it, to your future employers, it won't look like your completely unreliable. Coming from a hiring manager, if I found out someone quit after just two weeks I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to hire them.
Umm stop complaining?

My job is horrible, not only do I stand there and scan stuff on a till like you, but I also get yelled at and do hard physical work too. That and when I started 6 months ago I was making 6.00$ and hour and now I'm to 6.55$ and hour. And I can guarantee that there are A LOT of UGers who have worse jobs than both of us.

Something tells me you're one of those people who's had everything handed to them throughout their lives...

/minirant

EDIT:

Quote by thomaserak

Shut the **** up... Suicide isn't a ****ing joke.

EDIT AGAIN:

Quote by lipscombaaron
Normally I'd advise you to give notice as its never good to burn bridges, but being that you've only been there 2 weeks, then I would just quit. If it's a job where you're not really gonna be missed, then I just wouldn't show up the next day.

Don't do this... It really makes things worse for the other people who work there... Details if asked, but I don't really feel like typing if no one cares....

But if your job really is horrible (maybe I made too many assumptions before) then I would do what the other guy suggested (stick it out for about a month) because it really doesn't look good at all. And don't burn bridges or anything, because the next time you apply for a job, they like it a lot when you give them permission to call your previous employer, and if I was the previous employer of someone who just didn't show up or of someone who did something stupid (i.e. telling customers to **** off and what not) then I really wouldn't think twice before ripping up the application and picking up the next.
UG's HIPPIE
Last edited by ~G{}{}BER~ at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by the agony scene
dumbass
past employer "oh yea bob i aint gunna lie to you that was one piece of ass whyd you think we hired him"

This thats why you need to quit jobs the right way thats how I got my second job was because of a good reference from my first one, I actually got the job that I love now from volunteering there for school to career.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by the agony scene
dumbass

Dumbass.
The word "grammar" mean anything to you?

Seriously though, this guy's right (in a way), don't just bomb it, it will affect future jobs
Quote by the agony scene
dumbass

Haha, blow me. I was 13, it was at a local pub, and I worked 2 shifts. No need to bring mothers into it.
Quote by Brian 1.0

Quote by napalm_monkey
i like to drink washing up liquid, it makes my throat feel fresh and smell like plates.

Quote by thomaserak
Quote by tomisfatt01
Haha, blow me. I was 13, it was at a local pub, and I worked 2 shifts. No need to bring mothers into it.

ahh different circumstances.
in the OPs situation though bad idea
Quote by the agony scene
ahh different circumstances.
in the OPs situation though bad idea

Haha yeah man. Sorry.
Quote by Brian 1.0

Quote by napalm_monkey

Quote by thomaserak
wow man. my best friend (who lives in england) works in sainsbury's aswell doing the exact same job, he hates it too, but think about it, at least you have a job, there's plenty of people out there with no money coming in who would give loads for that job...
also you get a rise after 3(or 6) months there. can't remember

im doing pretty much the same thing, but in penny's. i've been there 3 months, and the only reason i'm still there is because i'd just be idling around the house if i didn't have the job, and also im selling thongs bras etc. to hot girls that i know, which is pretty cool...
however, my starting pay was(and still is) €8.63 i'd say that's almost £7 maybe more now, and im expecting a pay rise soon.

only serious downside to having a job, is my grades are bombing since i started.
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

EDIT AGAIN:

Don't do this... It really makes things worse for the other people who work there... Details if asked, but I don't really feel like typing if no one cares....

But if your job really is horrible (maybe I made too many assumptions before) then I would do what the other guy suggested (stick it out for about a month) because it really doesn't look good at all. And don't burn bridges or anything, because the next time you apply for a job, they like it a lot when you give them permission to call your previous employer, and if I was the previous employer of someone who just didn't show up or of someone who did something stupid (i.e. telling customers to **** off and what not) then I really wouldn't think twice before ripping up the application and picking up the next.

Agree with this as well, I had someone at my second job who just quit and never came back and I had to work a few double shifts to cover for that ass.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
dude

i used to work there for like 2 years. i hated it to. but if you want to leave just find out how long your probation period is (i think thats what they call it, a sort of trial period if u must) which is usually 3 months. you only have to give 1 weeks notice within this period. 4 weeks afterwards usually. so if you hand in your notice tomorrow, you'll have left by next thursday!!!
but no job means no money,
no money means........erm, herpes.

plus what with the credit crunch shizznet, it'll be tough finding a new job and getting money