Page 1 of 2
what is the least costing way of quenching GAS?
Ive got a HUGE case of gas and its driving me nuts.
There is no cure.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Lock yourself in a basement with a repeating recording of "you have no gas, you have no gas" and hopefully it will go. Youre not aloud to eat by the way until its gone. It's the only way.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
People here should be more about playing your bass, learning music and becoming greater musicians and having fun instead of 'collecting gear", which seems to be the main focus alot around here. GAS is something that exists in your mind because you got bored playing or hit a slump, not because you actually need to get anything. Its funny seeing bedroom bass players with SVT stacks and Warwicks, who don't even play in bands, yet will drop $1000 on a new bass or amp.

Just learn to love what you got. You are in this for the music right?
^Tone and feel are just as important in a bedroom setting as they are in a band.

The only ways are to save your money and buy it, find something else, or wait it out.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by jb_reborn
what is the least costing way of quenching GAS?
Ive got a HUGE case of gas and its driving me nuts.

Dont go on ebay.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
GAS will never go away.

No matter what you do, you'll always want that extra pedal.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by IndianRockStar

And +1

I can honestly say that since I started dating this girl, I don't think about gear as much.

didn't work for me. now I'm wasting double the money.

but hey, i got a girlfriend!

honestly? try playing the thing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity

didn't work for me. now I'm wasting double the money.

but hey, i got a girlfriend! )

Also +1, though I have a fiancee instead of a girlfriend.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
People here should be more about playing your bass, learning music and becoming greater musicians and having fun instead of 'collecting gear", which seems to be the main focus alot around here. GAS is something that exists in your mind because you got bored playing or hit a slump, not because you actually need to get anything. Its funny seeing bedroom bass players with SVT stacks and Warwicks, who don't even play in bands, yet will drop $1000 on a new bass or amp.

Yea, I have terrible terrible Gas.

and If you are really in it for the music, wouldn't you want to do that music the most beautiful Justice you can?

Like, 67' Fender P with a maple neck Justice?

or Carl Thompson justice?

Or just something else amazingly cool... and Justifiable.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Homestar Runner and Video Games usually do it for me. Those are my solutions to almost eveything I want to avoid.

-GAS
-Term Papers
-Work
Quote by Pizza The Hut

Says the man with the thread on which $2000 bass to buy. jk, i agree, it should be all about the music, but some of those basses are just so darn pretty...
Read all The Negative Reviews on whatever you are GASing for, and All the Positive Reviews on What you Have.
Quote by mooselord
Says the man with the thread on which $2000 bass to buy. jk, i agree, it should be all about the music, but some of those basses are just so darn pretty...

Says the man who plays semi pro in a band and earns cash for doing it.
Quote by Pizza The Hut

mate i just pulled you up for GASing for a bass you want in 7 months time! Pah!

But i couldnt agree with you more. Its ridiculous around here, every thread is "what bass can i buy", "Christmas is here, what shall i get", "what do you think of my amp", "Whats the best bass.." blah blah blah. it is such a joy to get the odd post that is actually about playing.

I dont want to rant, but people.. music is not about what bass you have, or how many you have, or how loud your amp is, or what is costs. forget all that ****. its about playing and making music. Most of you wouldnt even know what to do with a high-end bass, hell i bet you cant even name the notes on your neck without working them out.

Stop this stupid GASing and start playing more. if you stopped making stupid threads about what bass to get in five years time, your playing will improve considerably, trust me.

It never ceases to amaze me how much some people on here know about every bass manufacturer, every pedal etc.. how can you know all that **** without wasting hours and hours reading online and comparing? **** that! play the bass you have already. who cares if its from Walmart? you have one dont you ?

And while i am here.. who cares how you get "his" tone, worry about your tone ! how many hours have you wasted trying to get the Hysteria tone, when you could be working on your own?

Stop concentrating on things that have no relevance to your musical journey.

Now, all of you, go play that bass for an hour!!!
Quote by Applehead
get a girlfriend.

she left me, and she was expensive, took up all my free time, all my practice time............

i play everyday. the more i play, the more i notice the imperfections in my tone and get pissed off by it.
and knowing what each brand is like isnt a waste of time, its being knowledgable.
Quote by Applehead

But i couldnt agree with you more. Its ridiculous around here, every thread is "what bass can i buy", "Christmas is here, what shall i get", "what do you think of my amp", "Whats the best bass.." blah blah blah. it is such a joy to get the odd post that is actually about playing.

I dont want to rant, but people.. music is not about what bass you have, or how many you have, or how loud your amp is, or what is costs. forget all that ****. its about playing and making music. Most of you wouldnt even know what to do with a high-end bass, hell i bet you cant even name the notes on your neck without working them out.

Stop this stupid GASing and start playing more. if you stopped making stupid threads about what bass to get in five years time, your playing will improve considerably, trust me.

It never ceases to amaze me how much some people on here know about every bass manufacturer, every pedal etc.. how can you know all that **** without wasting hours and hours reading online and comparing? **** that! play the bass you have already. who cares if its from Walmart? you have one dont you ?

And while i am here.. who cares how you get "his" tone, worry about your tone ! how many hours have you wasted trying to get the Hysteria tone, when you could be working on your own?

Yeah that is all very true. People can get carried away with the whole "I've got Teh BesZtis GeARzzz" ideology.

Honestly if i was just a bedroom bassist i would be happy with a crappy starter bass and amp, because if you don't play in a band, there is no need to go beyond that as it's merely a hobby. I just laught when i see people who have three + basses and highend bass amps/stacks/sound equipment who don't even play in bands as a job.

For those of us in actual bands (right here), yes we are allowed to GAS and buy the big stuff because it's our profession and we BETTER have the best **** out there so we can get the job done and give the best sound for our band and the audience. The audience payed for their ticklets so they deserve to see and hear a highend professional bass and not some RHCP fan slappin' poppin' hoppin' and droppin' on his Ibanez starter pack bass.
Call me ignorant, but what does "GAS" stand for? Gear acquisition syndrome?
Quote by Applehead

I find asking UG about gear and asking UG about technique are seperate entities. it is much harder to learn how to slap on UG than to learn what gear is nice for funk.

if i have a technique or theory question, I'm going to someone who can show me. I got it pretty well down usually, but still.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Applehead
rant

Because we're bored and like to mess around with different sounds. Tool wouldn't be the same without effects.

I like being able to get that perfect tone when I play. When it sounds exactly like it does in your head, you don't have to battle to get that sound. When I stomp on my Fulltone, I love the overdrive I get.

Personally, I think you are just immune to GAS because of the quality of your gear. For you, getting the perfect tone happens. For those without good gear and overly attentive ears, those little flaws in the tone can annoy you.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Yeah that is all very true. People can get carried away with the whole "I've got Teh BesZtis GeARzzz" ideology.

Honestly if i was just a bedroom bassist i would be happy with a crappy starter bass and amp, because if you don't play in a band, there is no need to go beyond that as it's merely a hobby. I just laught when i see people who have three + basses and highend bass amps/stacks/sound equipment who don't even play in bands as a job.

For those of us in actual bands (right here), yes we are allowed to GAS and buy the big stuff because it's our profession and we BETTER have the best **** out there so we can get the job done and give the best sound for our band and the audience. The audience payed for their ticklets so they deserve to see and hear a highend professional bass and not some RHCP fan slappin' poppin' hoppin' and droppin' on his Ibanez starter pack bass.

What ur sounding like right there is that "only professionals who get gigs are allowed to GAS and have good gear"
Wanting and having are different things, theres nothing wrong with people wanting better gear and tone. As a musician the sound is very important, theres nothing more annoying than playing good music with horrible tone.
Quote by gm jack
Because we're bored and like to mess around with different sounds. Tool wouldn't be the same without effects.

I like being able to get that perfect tone when I play. When it sounds exactly like it does in your head, you don't have to battle to get that sound. When I stomp on my Fulltone, I love the overdrive I get.

Personally, I think you are just immune to GAS because of the quality of your gear. For you, getting the perfect tone happens. For those without good gear and overly attentive ears, those little flaws in the tone can annoy you.

Understand, but when you are sitting in your bedroom learning , does it really matter? I do know what it is like to want something i cant have, but there i just think people get carried away with having to have something that they blatantly dont need. they just want it.

If you took all my gear away and gave me some ****, i would still love it as much as i love my expensive stuff.

Sometimes i think people want new basses just to put up a damn pic in the "show off your bass" thread and get kudos from an online forum!

Quote by jb_reborn
...theres nothing more annoying than playing good music with horrible tone.

id rather play well with **** tone, than **** with good tone.
Last edited by Applehead at Nov 19, 2008,
Also, for everyone here, todays bass heros all started out on dog s h i t gear and honed their skills. Then then they got in bands, started giging and making money THEN bought the big stuff.

See how it works?
Quote by Applehead
Understand, but when you are sitting in your bedroom learning , does it really matter? I do know what it is like to want something i cant have, but there i just think people get carried away with having to have something that they blatantly dont need. they just want it.

If you took all my gear away and gave me some ****, i would still love it as much as i love my expensive stuff.

Sometimes i think people want new basses just to put up a damn pic in the "show off your bass" thread and get kudos from an online forum!

Agreed on the some people have it too much, but I don't see anything wrong with occasionally lusting after enough effects to buy a car.

Admittedly, I do know one line. My amp is perfectly fine at the moment. No need for a Genz Benz stack (yet).

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
There is no set path though dude. If someone can afford to get a nice bass, get one. I know people who had a Stingray for their first bass because she "liked the shape". her father could afford one no worries, so she got one. she was about 11 and could barely hold it.

My issue is with people who cant afford one but sit and drool when they could be playing. Playing is what is important. By all means have a dream bass, but dont get too carried away with the dreaming thats all! Everything you want will come one day, and when you save up its all the more sweeter!
Quote by Applehead

im in 3 different working bands........
id rather play good with good tone.
Quote by Applehead
^ well duh, obviously.

exactly! stop trying to take away my right to GAS.
I dont want to be GASing, but i still want to keep the right to.
The whole point of this thread was so that i could stop GASing.
Quote by jb_reborn

Stop being fussy and quit your winging.

Applehead had some good points. A bit of GAS for nice gear isn't too bad. However, if it replaces actually playing, then it's a problem.

Saying that, I'm a massive hypocrite, and probably talk bass about as much as I play. If I don't feel like playing, I don't play, so I don't compensate for my procrastinating with a strict practise routine. Then, for a week or two I may get the bug and spend 3 hours a day running scales (I am currently doing 8th notes at 200+ bpm, so it isn't all slacking).

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by jb_reborn

were you GASing while you were arguing about your right to do so?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I have a half stack and 3 very nice basses and damn right I'm a bedroom player. Why did I get a half stack? Because now I will never have to buy another amp again, unless something happens to mine. GKs are built like tanks so I don't see that happening.

People that aren't in bands shouldn't have good gear? Because people in bands need good gear right? To please other people? **** other people, I play music and have the gear I have to please myself.

But back on topic, I don't have GAS.
Last edited by Miss G at Nov 19, 2008,
Quote by the humanity
were you GASing while you were arguing about your right to do so?

i was trying very hard not to.......
Page 1 of 2