seankellyultgtr
Banned
674 IQ
does john petrucci play only 7stringed guitars, or does he play 6 string too? cause i wanna get into his stuff but i dont have a 7 string. also, reccomend a song if you can that uses 6 string
seankellyultgtr
Banned
674 IQ
er, yea, i forget how to do the edit, but also keep in mind that im not that good yet, as in ive been playing for a year. and i dont have a wah... i know that he uses wah in some songs

EDIT: found it!
griffRG7321
Theory buff
999 IQ
he uses 6 strings in most songs, although quite a few songs are on a 7 string, some on baritones aswell. A good song to start with would be root of all evil.
mitch311
UG's only guitarist
513 IQ
Glassgow kiss, damage control, wishful thinking all use 6 strings so I presume he mostly uses 6 strings. i dont know though i dont listen to dream theatre
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
seankellyultgtr
Banned
674 IQ
oh okay cool. thank you, also, is root of all evil like "mathy"
i cant listen to it til later so help me out?

mathy means like stops and starts a lot. dissonet comes to mind.
professorlamp
2,231 IQ
Dream Theater probably arent the best band to learn a year in but i suggest an easier song like Space Dye vest, From the 'Awake' album
seankellyultgtr
Banned
674 IQ
i know that petrucci is crazy, haha, i just wanna get into his stuff. i would like to at least be able to learn from his playing style until i get to petrucci level
seankellyultgtr
Banned
674 IQ
Quote by professorlamp
Dream Theater probably arent the best band to learn a year in but i suggest an easier song like Space Dye vest, From the 'Awake' album

does space dye vest have an intense solo? is that why you're concerned?
The Shroom420
UG Member
443 IQ
Beyond This Life is a really sick song by Dream Theater that's played on a 6-string, and isn't hard to play at all
bangoodcharlote
Fractal
855 IQ
Quote by The Shroom420
Beyond This Life is a really sick song by Dream Theater that's played on a 6-string, and isn't hard to play at all
That opening riff isn't hard, though odd time is likely to confuse a fairly new musician for a bit. Have you listened to the rest of the song, though? I would hardly call it a easy song.

Edit: Much of their stuff, especially the older stuff, is on a standard-tuned 6-string.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Nov 18, 2008,
21Fretter
Tab Contributor
414 IQ
Dance of Eternity was written on a 7 string but has been tabbed to a playable level for 6 strings (7 to 6, sometimes the notes are simply not in the right positions to make it work if you know what i mean). The intro is great for learning picking accuracy imo.
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,530 IQ
Dream Theater (When Dream and Day Unite) - All in E standard
(Images and Words) - All in E standard
(Awake) - All in E standard, except 'Lie', 'Mirror' and 'Caught In A Web' which are in B standard on 7-strings and 'Space Dye-Vest' which is in Drop D tuning.
(Falling into Infinity) - All in E standard except 'New Millenium' and 'Just Let Me Breathe' which are in B standard on 7-strings.
(Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory) - Used E standard on all, used a 7-string in B standard on the 'Dance Of Eternity' and a 6-string in Drop D on 'Home'.
(Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence; Disc 1) - Used B standard 7-string for 'The Glass Prison'. E standard on all others, except on 'Misunderstood', where Drop D was used. Also, on Blind Faith used a detuned Ernie Ball Silhouette six-string bass guitar, simulating a baritone guitar tuned to Bb standard.
(Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence; Disc 2) - Used E standard on all
(Train of Thought) - C standard on all, except 'This Dying Soul' where B standard on 7-strings was used and 'Stream Of Consciousness' where 6-strings in Eb standard were used.
(Octavarium) - E standard on all except 'Root of all Evil' where Eb standard is used, 'Panic Attack' where a detuned Ernie Ball Silhouette six-string bass guitar, simulating a baritone guitar tuned to Bb standard is used and 'These Walls' where a detuned Ernie Ball Silhouette six-string bass guitar, simulating a baritone guitar tuned to A standard is used.
(Systematic Chaos) - Used E standard on all except 'Forsaken' which is in D standard, 'Repentence' and 'The Dark Eternal Night' which are in B standard 7-strings.

Enjoy .
LucasGtrGod
Wishes he was Mahler
527 IQ
What did you expect from the proprietor and runner of the Metal Tunings Thread?