Hello everyone! I just joined and wanted to see if anyone had some good opinions.

I'm fixing up my first guitar which is a Danelectro Danoblaster Hearsay for sentimental reasons and just needed some advice.

I have already stripped the cheap sparkly paint job and it's down to a super smooth finish ready for paint. I'm debating on whether to refinish the neck as well. I've never done a neck so I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

My ideas for pickups would be a GFS lipstick in the bridge and don't really know what to do for the other two.

I still wanted to hook up some sort of effect to utilize the space of the previous on board distortion chip. Does anyone know of any chips from pedals that would fit the cavity?

My last question would be: Would it effect the guitar at all if It originally came with a tremolo but I wanted to just put a top mount hardtail bridge?

Thanks for all the suggestions and sorry for the long post!
Why would you refinish the neck? Is there a particular advantage to doing so? Unless you wanted to paint it an actual color, or put on a different tint of lacquer, or you wanted to re-shape the neck, there is really no need to. Also, GFS sells a handful of interesting pre-amps, you might as well look into those as long as you'll be buying a pickup there. Lastly, I'm pretty sure you will be able to get away with the hardtail idea, so long as you can A) match up the holes from the last bridge with the new one or B) get one that has holes in a completely different place and drill new holes. Either way, you should be able to do it so long as you get one that's big enough to cover all that routing for the original trem.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

EDIT: and welcome to UG, and more importantly, the best forum on the entire site, the GB&C forum!
1) Refinish your neck with oil. What kind is up to you, I suggest tung oil, and I've heard linseed oil works just fine too.

2) If you really want it to sound good, assuming you have a good amp, put in some good pickups. RockMonkey, Bare Knuckle, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, EMG, TDM.

3) An on-preamp might me cool. Or just rip the guts out of a stomp box and put then in your guitar.

4) Fill the cavities left by the trem with wood, then mount the hardtail. Tutorial here:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
barknuckles right in the same list as Dimarzio and Duncans...

Good suggestions though Otter ( yeah, I don't know how to make the "o" with the bar through it or the upside down "e"... )

EDIT: that's a jammin tutorial. Do you know if you can use any old kind of wood for the plug? I'm actually about to do something similar to this on an old strat body of mine, and I didn't wanna go out and buy maple/ash if I could use like....pine boards that I have in my garage.
Last edited by lumberjack at Nov 19, 2008,
I love Danos, so...

Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)