ok well i didnt know where to ask this so i guess ill ask the pit

im lookin at getting a computer for college studies and audio recording and ive decided i want a macbook. Now im looking at the 2.0 ghz model which im thinking about getting with a 250 GB hard drive but im wondering if the proccessor will be good enough for audio recording through gearbox into programs like logic express or garageband.

i know it should handle it but would i ever get slowdown when im running gearbox and logic studio and recording? (just with these 2 programs open cuz thats what i would be doing when recording)
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
I would actually say don't go for a Mac for recording unless you go the whole way and get a MacBook Pro with a 7,200rpm hard drive.

That's just my opinion, but despite my preference for Mac OSX over Windows, you can save a lot of money by going for a PC with the same spec.
Quote by blue_strat
I would actually say don't go for a Mac for recording unless you go the whole way and get a MacBook Pro with a 7,200rpm hard drive.

That's just my opinion, but despite my preference for Mac OSX over Windows, you can save a lot of money by going for a PC with the same spec.

Quoted for truth, also it would depend on how much RAM you have, you'd probably want at the very least 2 GBs, probably closer to 3 or 4 if you can get it.
it would have 2 gigs of ram but thats easily upgradeable

im not looking for like the ultimate recording rig college work and prtability is more important to me but will it do a good job? it doesnt have to sound absoluteley perfect i would just like to record some demos and jams ya know?

cuz at home i have a pentium 4 3 ghz which is weaker than the core duo. and 1 gig of ddr2 ram and my recordings on that sound reasonable so sureley they have to sound fine on a macbook with 2 gigs of ddr3ram and a core 2 duo right?
I'm doing a Music Technology degree and use my Macbook for recording all the time, I did get an upgrade to 2.4GHz, but it handles things fine with the standard 1Gb of RAM, I've recorded 8 tracks simultaneously into Pro Tools before without any problems. Logic does occasionally run out of resources if you have something stupid like a different Space Designer reverb running on every track but most computers wouldn't be able to handle that.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Yeah, macbooks are sweet, I own one, and I strongly reccommend you save a couple bucks and get the white macbook and not the new aluminum ones. Some of their features like the buttonless trackpad is sort of a hassle, i was playing with the new one before at best buy, and you sometimes click when you don't want to, altogether, anything apple (besides ipods) are a great buy... Don't hesitate, man...

EDIT: there's been an epidemic where some macbooks crashed because they were unable to handle garage band... I'd check the specs of garage band really quick and compare them to those two programs and see if there's anything you should be worrying about...
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Last edited by tjbhdeath squad at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by Tombe
I'm doing a Music Technology degree and use my Macbook for recording all the time, I did get an upgrade to 2.4GHz, but it handles things fine with the standard 1Gb of RAM, I've recorded 8 tracks simultaneously into Pro Tools before without any problems. Logic does occasionally run out of resources if you have something stupid like a different Space Designer reverb running on every track but most computers wouldn't be able to handle that.

How did you get an upgrade for your processor??
Mine's 2.1 Ghz and they don't sell the 2.4 ghz model anymore (for white macbooks) and I have top everything in specs (250 gb hard drive, 4 gb ram) except the CPU and can't find where to get compatible intel processors...
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
my macbook works fine. I only use garageband, because i dont have the large hard drive, but its a white one of the last generation, and it works fine. I'm not sure of the specs, but i know they've upgraded everything from the old ones

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by conquistador
it would have 2 gigs of ram but thats easily upgradeable

im not looking for like the ultimate recording rig college work and prtability is more important to me but will it do a good job? it doesnt have to sound absoluteley perfect i would just like to record some demos and jams ya know?

cuz at home i have a pentium 4 3 ghz which is weaker than the core duo. and 1 gig of ddr2 ram and my recordings on that sound reasonable so sureley they have to sound fine on a macbook with 2 gigs of ddr3ram and a core 2 duo right?

Yeah for practice and demos I imagine it'd be fine, basically if you think it sounds alright, it should be fine. Just make sure you don't run stuff in the background, you don't want digital clipping or pops or anything like that.
Quote by tjbhdeath squad
How did you get an upgrade for your processor??
Mine's 2.1 Ghz and they don't sell the 2.4 ghz model anymore (for white macbooks) and I have top everything in specs (250 gb hard drive, 4 gb ram) except the CPU and can't find where to get compatible intel processors...

You used to be able to customise it on order... bear in mind I bought mine nearly 3 years ago so they might have stopped doing it a while ago.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by st.stephen
Yeah for practice and demos I imagine it'd be fine, basically if you think it sounds alright, it should be fine. Just make sure you don't run stuff in the background, you don't want digital clipping or pops or anything like that.

yea thats the way i intend to do it.

i had popping issues on the old computer man that sucks when you lay down a nice track and then you play it back and everytime you get a bit loud it sounds like a campfire