So I made a mandolin in my ceramics class...but I didn't want to make a neck out of clay, I thought there would be too much room for error because clay shrinks when it's fired. I planned to make one out of wood, but enter decision making.

I have a low-end Fender mandolin that im not particularly fond of, got it off of a friend for about 30 bucks. I was thinking of smashing the thing, and using the neck for my ceramic mandolin.

And yes, it would fit the cerandolin because I based all the measurements for the neck heel from the Fender, with room to allow for shrinkage (~1/16")

Does the pit think I should bash the Fender and use the neck or just make a new neck?

spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3
Try a making a new neck. It's quite difficult I believe. If you can't, then you should smash it.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
It would sound like **** and you would fail.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I really don't see a ceramic instrument lasting very long or sounding very good but I'm not going to stop ya!

I have a mate that made a ukulayly(excuse my poor spelling) out of plain ol' mild steel & it still sounded alright! it weighed more than a standard les-paul though
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Smash. And tell us how it sounds. I wonder how much sound difference there would be in a wood neck and a ceramic one...
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
Quote by lespaul#1
It would sound like **** and you would fail.

Have you ever heard a ceramic instrument?
spaghetti-etti-etti
It look nice so far.
All I've managed to make in my pottery class is a reverse flying v.
and it sucks.
maybe you should make the neck out of the same clay you used for the body? So it shrinks about the same
unless you added the 1/16 (not fair, mine always shrinks 1/4)to the neck measurements.
I don't think a ceramic mandolin would work, you need to put a bridge into the body, which undergoes an enormous amount of pressure from the tightening of the strings, meaning the body has to be very flexible (like how wood is right?). Trust me, I'm sure when the first luthier decided to make an instrument, he thought these things through and decided on wood for a reason.
Sorry to shatter any hopes you had, but I wouldn't break a real mandolin to salvage its neck for an art project that you wouldn't be able to play music from. I would just go with making a clay neck.
Quote by not wisniewski
Have you ever heard a ceramic instrument?

No, but it doesn't sound worth it. Like a Basswood guitar.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
****ty cell phone pic but its done. it plays and sounds nice, but the tuning pegs are horrible and wont stay in tune for more than 30 seconds. Gonna get some new ones from stewmac and i'll be in business
spaghetti-etti-etti
Quote by not wisniewski
****ty cell phone pic but its done. it plays and sounds nice, but the tuning pegs are horrible and wont stay in tune for more than 30 seconds. Gonna get some new ones from stewmac and i'll be in business

That looks really nice. Well done.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt