Poll: MESA MARK III VS. ORANGE AD30HTC
Poll Options
View poll results: MESA MARK III VS. ORANGE AD30HTC
Mesa Mark III GREEN STRIPE - Vintage
18 43%
Orange AD30HTC - New
24 57%
Voters: 42.
OK...So I have around 1200.00 to spend on an amp right.

Here's the line up:
ORANGE AD30-HTC amp head

VS.

MESA BOOGIE MARK III GREEN STRIPE

Both are friggin bad ass...yes, I know...I play prog, rock, metal, ambient, eclectic music. I love Thomas Eraks tone and I know he uses the AD30, but Ive played a mesa mark iii and...omfg...the distortion is AMAZING! (The clean is iffy..but who cares ).

HELP ME PEOPLE!
He doesn't use the drive on his amp though, he uses pedals.

I say go for the Boogie. Much more versatile.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
the ad30 has such a beautiful overdrive....so many harmonics, so much fun feedback. and then you get that great chimey clean channel too?!
the orange. no contest in my opinion.
Yeah he uses the big muff by eh, on top of the AD30's distortion. It sounds SOOOO full and rich and beautiful. But man....have you played the mark iii? its like friggin intense.
Quote by ModulatedSignal
Yeah he uses the big muff by eh, on top of the AD30's distortion. It sounds SOOOO full and rich and beautiful. But man....have you played the mark iii? its like friggin intense.

Yes I have.

Different kind of amps.

The Orange is a lot more 'full' sounding. Chords ring out and notes sustain quite well. The Mesa is a very focused and percussive amp. If you aren't practicing enough, it'll shine through if you get the Boogie.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Thomas used a JCM900 to record their first album, and an Orange AD140TC on their latest. Live it seems he's got two tubescreamers, and a big muff, so I don't know if he boosts his sound. Either way, I really want an Orange AD140TC. :[

And honestly, if you played the Mark III and were really impressed, go for that. Not sure if you'd like the Orange if you really like the Mark, but still, try an Orange and see if you like the Mesa more.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Thomas used a JCM900 to record their first album, and an Orange AD140TC on their latest. Live it seems he's got two tubescreamers, and a big muff, so I don't know if he boosts his sound. Either way, I really want an Orange AD140TC. :[

And honestly, if you played the Mark III and were really impressed, go for that. Not sure if you'd like the Orange if you really like the Mark, but still, try an Orange and see if you like the Mesa more.

Are you sure that he uses the AD140TC? I really REALLY digg the tone that the second album has. It's amazing. When they play live, the tone is definitely more twangy and high pitched. The album sounds rich and full, thats what I want. I also like the Mark III green stripe. I am going tomorrow to try out an AD30HTC from this guy I talked to on Craigslist; but now that you're telling me this maybe I should seek out an AD140TC instead!!!!
The Fall of Troy is awesome, but the Mark III will cover more sounds by itself and be much better for the metal on your list imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I am far too biased for this, because I love Orange amps, and Thomas Erak is my favorite guitarist.
And then Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, who uses them too.

But, most everyone is right, the Mesa IS more versatile, but I love that Orange tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'd get the Mesa, the Orange is fairly low gain for those tones and won't be tight enough.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by OceanofNoise
I am far too biased for this, because I love Orange amps, and Thomas Erak is my favorite guitarist.
And then Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, who uses them too.

But, most everyone is right, the Mesa IS more versatile, but I love that Orange tone.

Dude same here. Thomas Erak, and Omar Rodriguez are pioneers. They're tone is so amazing. And yes, generally speaking the mesa does have more versatility on tap...however....if you listen to all of The Mars Volta's albums omar has so many diff sounds coming from his amp. YES I know he has a million dollars worth of pedals but that dynamic isn't only coming from the pedals...oranges are pretty damn versatile too!!!!!
Fanboy much?

Haha I would personally recommend the Orange, but both amps are amazingly versatile.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
yea, both those dudes use the AD140TC. Look online for pictures of Thomas' rig, and in the newest issue of GP, they have Omar's rig (he uses four AD heads :p ). I asked in the Orange thread differences between the AD30 and 140 heads, but I haven't checked to see if they answered that question yet.