I may or may have not posted a thread with this topic before, but whatever.

My band and I have always had troubles finding a regular practice space. We can't use my house as there's no room, we can't use the bassist's house as he lives like an hour away and we don't feel like lugging the drummer's sh*t that far 2-3 times a week, and we can very rarely use the drummer's house due to conflicting work schedules and the fact that his parents are complete douchebags and don't want us practicing when they're home. We don't want to spend money on renting a space, and we don't know anyone else who'll let us use their place.

So what should we do about this problem?
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Do you have any friends who are in bands? Maybe they'll help you out?

EDIT: Also, do you have any good friends that live alone/not with their parents? Maybe they'll let you practice at their house sometimes or while they're at work or something.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Nov 18, 2008,
By "we cant practice at the bassists because we dont want to lug the drummers stuff back and forth", I'm guessing you mean you'd be able to practice there, it's just too far?

I'd say find a crappy drumset, and put it in your drummer's house for him to practice on by himself, then move your drummer's curret kit to the bassist house, and practice there. You can still move cymbals, kick pedal, and the drum throne back and forth, so you'd just have to find a cheap-ish kick/toms/snare/hihat combo.

you'd still have to go quite a way to get to your practice space, but it'd be an alright last resort option...
Seriously, If you want a practice space, These day's you almost have no other option then to pay.

We where looking for a free place aswell but in the end we took for granted to have found a place where we could jam an hour for 2€

(That's like what 88 dollarcents or whatever ? :P prolly not dunno what the rate's are atm)

And why don't you guys just let the drumkit at the bassist so you don't have to drag it all the time ?

EDIT: Lol cents afcourse
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Well we mostly don't want to have to drive an hour each way for practices, especially lugging all that crap with us, but it's mostly because he doesn't really have any room either. The drummer and I live less than 10 miles away from eachother.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
I used to go to a professional rehearsal place, it was only like a 20 minute bus journey and it cost £20 for 2 hours, less if you have a smaller room, between four of us it was like £5 each.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
you can hire really good places for cheap, like everyone else has said. look out for function rooms or just hire rooms. My band personally hire the scouts hut which is only £2.50 each and that works out awesome
Most of the places around me that charge to let you practice there cost an arm and a leg, like around $20-$50 a month (that's split between each band member).
That's not really an arm and a leg...that seems pretty reasonable. I mean, it doesn't feel good to have to shell out the cash, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by Helloween_rox
Well we mostly don't want to have to drive an hour each way for practices, especially lugging all that crap with us, but it's mostly because he doesn't really have any room either. The drummer and I live less than 10 miles away from eachother.

well, then...

I was thinking it was somewhere closer...

it's always easiest to practice where theres a drumset, moving one around even short distances is a real pain...

so unless you know someone with a drum kit and adequite space, I think you might have to find a place to rent out...
Last edited by james4 at Nov 18, 2008,
does any of you have a garage? We curently practice in one of the mebers garage. The drummer also keeps his drumkit there (basicly, that means he doesnt practice at home, but he says hes gonna buy a new one). You can probably rent a garage quite cheaply i think, but if you are gonna rent, get something bigger. And lugging a whole drum kit around realy isnt a good option, its just gonna take too much time and effort.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Rent one of those bulk storage units. Just run a splitter off the lights, so that you can plug in your amps, and jam in there. From what I understand, there used to be a small collective of bands in Chicago that had a setup like this in the same storage company.

The good thing about a lot of those places is that your stuff is insured by them, so if it gets swiped, its paid for.

Find a local community center, ask if you can use it, they would also most likely charge u like 3-5 bucks an hour, dead cheap eh!
Quote by Freunleven
Rent one of those bulk storage units. Just run a splitter off the lights, so that you can plug in your amps, and jam in there. From what I understand, there used to be a small collective of bands in Chicago that had a setup like this in the same storage company.

The good thing about a lot of those places is that your stuff is insured by them, so if it gets swiped, its paid for.

Hmm, just thinking about that. That's an amazing idea. They're what, 10 a week?
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Quote by djmay71
solution
-find a big parking lot

Stupid answer. How would yo practice in a parking lot where there's NO ELECTRICITY?
Quote by Freunleven

This is a pretty good idea....but what about heating? There are plenty of climates where playing in an unheated storage space can get pretty chilly.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by alex0203
Stupid answer. How would yo practice in a parking lot where there's NO ELECTRICITY?

you could bring a batery pack and hook everyone up to that.. haven't seen one with an outlet yet but I'm pretty sure its out there.

you say there's no room at your place.. perhaps by that you meant inside. You could try going outside in the back. I'm sure there's a plug back there or a long extention chord you can get.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Quote by alex0203

a generator, duh.
my old band did that once.
good times.
Quote by djmay71
solution
-find a big parking lot

The world doesn't work like a Good Charlotte film clip :P
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Ok so I talked to a few bands who've had the same problem as me, and the consensus seems to be that a climate controlled storage space with electrical outlets would be the best and cheapest route to go if we can't find anywhere to practice at for free.
probably a good idea to use one of them
tama swingstar bass drum
tama rock-star floor tom
tama stage star snare
tama rock star tom
pdp double bass pedal
tama boom stands
generic hi-hat stand
zildjian scimatar hi-hats
zildjian ZBTcrash
chindal ride