PreSonus Firebox

Samson CL8

Acoustica Mixcraft.

The only thing I'm unsure about is Mixcraft. I really like it, but should I go with a big name product for the sake of learning one of them? (Compatability is not an issue, this will just be my solo work. I go elsewhere for the bandito).

I'll be using a midi keyboard, and I'll probably eventually pick a dynamic for the geet and such.

I have an XP comp, which I'll upgrade to 3 gigs of RAM.

Are these the best options?

EDIT: Oops, forgot that this computer doesn't have a Firewire port. Is it worth installing one, or should I just get a USB interface? By the time I'm ready to upgrade, I'm pretty sure I'll have a new computer, but even so I don't see myself using more than two mics at a time right now.
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by KetchupLad14
PreSonus Firebox

Samson CL8

Acoustica Mixcraft.

The only thing I'm unsure about is Mixcraft. I really like it, but should I go with a big name product for the sake of learning one of them? (Compatability is not an issue, this will just be my solo work. I go elsewhere for the bandito).

I'll be using a midi keyboard, and I'll probably eventually pick a dynamic for the geet and such.

I have an XP comp, which I'll upgrade to 3 gigs of RAM.

Are these the best options?

EDIT: Oops, forgot that this computer doesn't have a Firewire port. Is it worth installing one, or should I just get a USB interface? By the time I'm ready to upgrade, I'm pretty sure I'll have a new computer, but even so I don't see myself using more than two mics at a time right now.

If you are only using two microphones at any given time, then don't bother with Firewire. You should probably get something less expensive than the Firebox...the Presonus Audiobox has MIDI as well and is half the price. When you later upgrade, you can ditch it for a higher end interface like the Firestudio Project (or RME Firewire 800 if you're well-equipped).

Mixcraft, Reaper, Tracktion are all fine. I'd try a demo first to see if it's what you want. There's also limited versions of Cubase and Sonar that are worth a look into.

And the Samson's solid. I've heard good things about the cardoid only CL7.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Thank you for that, t'was very helpful.

EDIT: Any opinion on the different softwares you recommended? I'll obviously check them all out, and I'll have Cubase LE which comes with the Audiobox, so I have choices, but I think I'm still set on Mixcraft.
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at Nov 23, 2008,
Well, if you like and know how to use Mixcraft, by all means do so. Cubase LE is good software though, and uses many of the same principles as it's more expensive counterpart, Cubase 4. When using recording software, the key isn't so much as to leanr one type of software, but to learn the basic rules that can be implemented to all of them, so don't worry too much about not using 'industry' software.
There is poetry in despair.