What could I do to improve my vocals? At this point, my range looks like this:

Very low - specialty (comes naturally, without effort)

Low - Same as above

Low mid - okay

Mid - Ew.

Upper mid - Kill me.

High - Ugh.

Very High - I can reach it, and even sing along with "Micro Cuts" by Muse if I'm feeling like it, but it just doesn't sound natural for some reason

So, basically, low notes are no issue. Low mid crackles sometimes, but sounds good when it's working (which is not very often). Mid, upper mid, and high, however, is pretty much non-existent. When I try to sweep through (very low to very high and back down again), there seems to be a "gap" there and instead of a gradual progression it's more like a switch that instantly goes from low to high. I used to be able to sing everything in between, and I want to be able to do it again. How could I train myself to be able to do this again? I could sing those notes about a year ago, and I'm fifteen. It could be puberty, but how could I have just completely lost the middle of my range? Some tips on how to help my upper range sound more natural would be nice, too.

This guy is pretty much my inspiration (acoustic guitar/vocals) at this point, and even though I'll probably never be able to sing like him, I'd at least like to be able to sing along without sounding horrible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV9yPc_EYw
His name is Matthew Santos.

Please help. This has been really pissing me off lately, and I'd like to start working on it now rather than wait until it's gone for good.
expand your range a bit at a time, eventually youll get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeTheSKA
So was listening to Elysia's deathcore stuff in my car. and every time there was a bass boom my speakers would just make sounds like the fireworks at the end of levels in Mario Bros. So I cranked it.
Are there any exercises to help me do this? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Those "gap" notes I was talking about, literally make no sound. It's just air.
the no sound is the space between your range and your falsetto
the only thing you can do it just work on it ... it took me like a year to be able to go up a semi tone comfortably
and then a week to destroy my vocal chords at camp
What's happening is that you're jumping from your natural chest voice to your "falsetto" which is why it doesn't sound natural. Cuz its "false". So you're gonna have to work from the mid up. Just try singing the notes that are just out of your most natural range until they feel more natural, and slowly you'll work your way up.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
First off, do you have a vocal teacher? If not, get one as soon as possible. It's amazing how easy it is to hurt yourself if you don't sing properly.

Well it sounds to me like you are probably using falsetto for the higher notes and not full voice which would be why they sound unnatural. To increase your range takes a lot of time and effort. Go as high as you can without using falsetto and without hurting yourself and practice that as often as you can for a week or 2. Then in the next week try to raise it up by a half step. Rinse and repeat. Slowly but surely you will notice an improvement.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
What do you mean by "hurting yourself"?

EDIT: Also, is it bad to start working on it when I have a cold? Because I do right now.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Nov 18, 2008,
You can strain, or possibly tear your vocal cords (although tearing is relatively rare if you don't do "scream" type vocals). If you've ever gone to a football game or a concert and shouted so loud that your throat hurt the next day and you couldn't talk right, that's like straining your vocals.

And you probably shouldn't sing with a cold. It'll throw you off, and you won't get much done.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Okay, so you don't think I might have already caused permanent damage or something, somehow? My mom always tells me I have a really loud speaking voice, could that be doing it? Should I try to tone it down or something?
No, no, if you had done permanent damage you'd know. Your voice I'm sure is perfectly healthy, unless it hurts all the time or you CAN'T speak very loudly. Hurting your voice doesn't just happen, and if it cracks that doesn't mean its damaged either, especially when you're in your teens.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
If it is naturally loud and doesn't lead to straining, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Otherwise, all good advice in this thread so far, which is rare. Most people know screw all about vocal production, and the amount of 'bad' information out there is staggering.

Expanding your range takes time. A semitone a year is really in the ballpark, unless there is something fundamentally wrong with your technique in the first place, causing your range to be severely limited by it. Learning some good technique with a teacher will work the trolls out quickly at first, but like anything else, getting good takes time.

Your vocal cords don't as much 'tear' as they do almost blister. When you speak or sing, your vocal cords are vibrating together to produce sound. Vibrate them together too hard or too fast, and the body will begin to try to protect them... the same way your body will try to protect your ankle when you are wearing shoes that don't fit right and rub up against them. Blisters! On your vocal cords, they're called nodes. In most cases they need to be surgically removed, and often times, have long term (if not permanent) effects, regardless of what kind of treatment is pursued.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
you'll get those notes in time, you don't even need training (although it helps)

you'll grow out of it probably.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Well, looks like I REALLY need a job now. Vocal lesson and guitar lessons are going to run me dry. Of course, I could keep teaching myself guitar, but progressing faster is always nice. Maybe I'll just take a few guitar lessons until I know enough to properly teach myself, then take only vocal lessons.
Sing, hum and scat scales (you can sing ahhs or mmmnnns or laaas or do be da dewbi da do's). Start on the low E (as that's your easiest range, you dirty bass) and sing (or hum or scat) to an E major scale, than do the same for an E# major scale than do the same for an E## major scale and so on.

Just sing scales. I swear I got a semitone within a month.