I have finally got a band together and I'm looking to write my own lead guitar parts.

My favorite guitarist is Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy.
I want to get play very similar to his style of playing.
Here are some examples of his sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKsJA1h3OfA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw7cOPVCej8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5-YYNKdPJU&feature=related

So theres a little bit of how he sounds.

I don't want to replicate his tone or anything, but I would like to have a really similar playing style. I don't what scales he uses or anything though.

Anyone know where I can start?
Quote by mikemangone
Anyone know where I can start?

Learn Theory.
Learn all his music.
Combine the two so you understand his music.
Start writing.
????
Profit.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
As far as my experience is with music. You cannot ever force yourself to play like someone else. Even if you love that persons playing oh so dearly. Just like with lots of other things, say you want to grow your hair out long and have it be super straight, but instead your hair is super curly and doesn't straighten well. You'll still want your hair to be straight, but you will always have your own unique hair, just as no matter how hard you try, you will always have your own unique playing style that cannot be forced to sound like something else.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
As far as my experience is with music. You cannot ever force yourself to play like someone else. Even if you love that persons playing oh so dearly. Just like with lots of other things, say you want to grow your hair out long and have it be super straight, but instead your hair is super curly and doesn't straighten well. You'll still want your hair to be straight, but you will always have your own unique hair, just as no matter how hard you try, you will always have your own unique playing style that cannot be forced to sound like something else.

Actually once you understand someone elses playing and have a grip on their mannerisms it's quite easy to play like someone else; you do have to think about it and you can't just "go with the flow" but it's definitely doable.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
just start playing random stuff and therefore you will find a riff
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually once you understand someone elses playing and have a grip on their mannerisms it's quite easy to play like someone else; you do have to think about it and you can't just "go with the flow" but it's definitely doable.

both of you are right to a certain extent, but its true, no one can play exactly as someone, but you can play a style similiar to it.

My advice is (to TS) is to learn the bands song, i liked the band a while ago as well, The guitarist plays pretty fast so you might want to learn to alternate pick, its also very melodious so you might want to learn some nice scales (such as the Major scale)

good luck
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.