I have finally got a band together and I'm looking to write my own lead guitar parts.

My favorite guitarist is Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy.
I want to get play very similar to his style of playing.
Here are some examples of his sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKsJA1h3OfA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw7c...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5-Y...

So theres a little bit of how he sounds.

I don't want to replicate his tone or anything, but I would like to have a really similar playing style. I don't what scales he uses or anything though.

Anyone know where I can start?
Last edited by mikemangone at Nov 18, 2008,
Play it by ear. If you can't do that, wait for someone that knows the answer to reply. Make sure you wrap your own style around his, though. You don't want to end up a copycat.
Use Dissonance. Minor Second. Tritones.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by mikemangone
I'm just trying to use his sound as a foundation for my own.

have you tried learning any of his songs/riffs?

One of the greatest sources for uncovering the mysteries of a particular style is the music itself.

You certainly can utilize some of the same concepts (such as dissonance), but those kinds of superficial aspects alone won't guarantee that you will truly be utilizing his style.

- learn his music
- learn what it feels like to play his music
- learn about his music
- be inspired and enjoy playing his music
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 18, 2008,
Erak is one of those virtuoso guitar players who is just impossible to emulate. I've never seen anyone who can be EVERYWHERE on the neck at once and sing and scream at the same time. Especially since his rhythms are so weird. But as the above people said, use lots of dissonance to get haunting tones. His favorite thing to do is hit power chords, then play a super fast riff on the upper register. I think he usually uses minor scales.
Quote by drewfromutah
Erak is one of those virtuoso guitar players who is just impossible to emulate. I've never seen anyone who can be EVERYWHERE on the neck at once and sing and scream at the same time. Especially since his rhythms are so weird. But as the above people said, use lots of dissonance to get haunting tones. His favorite thing to do is hit power chords, then play a super fast riff on the upper register. I think he usually uses minor scales.

I've never heard them before, but regardless: as a general rule, learning to play the actual music will get you in touch with a particular style. I'm pretty sure there is more than one person in the world that can play the style.
even if you only learn parts of his music, it will still serve the purpose.
shred is gaudy music
Bump, cause Thomas deserves it, and yeah, one other thing I noticed about their songwriting is the transitions between parts. They're usually done in the form of a split-second pause. Well, not USUALLY, but quite a few of these in their songs. So they're not proper transitions, they're just like "Part A -> 0.3 seconds of silence -> Part B in another time signature". Not that I mind =)
for rent
Quote by GuitarMunky
have you tried learning any of his songs/riffs?

One of the greatest sources for uncovering the mysteries of a particular style is the music itself.

You certainly can utilize some of the same concepts (such as dissonance), but those kinds of superficial aspects alone won't guarantee that you will truly be utilizing his style.

- learn his music
- learn what it feels like to play his music
- learn about his music
- be inspired and enjoy playing his music

bingo. math rock can be a hard genre to emulate, though. do let me know how that turns out.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I've actually spent a lot of time learning Erak's music. It was a way for me to develop my playing by learning guitar work that complex.

Having done that i'm able to play 3 of his albums back to back.
I started out getting the hang of Ghostship part 5 then Act One, Scene One.
After that it was like a snowball effect and it all fell into place in a few months.
I think if you would like to use Erak's style as a starting point i'd just launch straight in using tabs from UG and in a while you'll find yourself coming up with all sorts of crazy riffs that Erak would be proud of!
Quote by mikemangone
I'm just trying to use his sound as a foundation for my own.

If you want to do that, then you have to achieve his sound 1st.

Learn his guitar parts.
shred is gaudy music
I'm also a hug fan of Thomas Erak. His songs are fun as hell to play, though they're a little tough at times because he's a beast of a writer. You definitely picked a good guitarist to emulate.
Quote by Zycho
You wanna sound like Thomas Erak? Pull off. Lots of em.

There's FAR more to his style than just pull offs.
Nice and chaotic sounding. Cool
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.