Hey Folks -

I used to record guitar on my computer by running my guitar into a Mackie mixer. The mixer would then go out via the rca out jacks to a stereo rca -> 3mm adapter and into my sound card. I used SONAR 6 Producer Edition to digitize the input.

I was never happy with the sound quality out of the Mackie so I got rid of it. I was planning on getting a Prosonus which would give me USB and enable multi-channel recording.

Right now $$$ is an issue for getting a Prosonus. Also, since I have a sweet Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, I would lose the sound if I ran my guitar straight into the computer.

So...

What is the simplest way to use a microphone to record the amp into my computer? Specific brands as well as adapters or whatever that get the mic into the line in or mic in on the sound card would be appreciated.

Is this a good permanent solution for capturing the sound of my amp?

Thanks!
I'm using an M-AUDIO Fast Track for recording right now and am very happy with it. Works well for plugging a guitar or mic into it. Supports ASIO drivers which is nice.
when recording guitar.......... use a line 6 pod , they rock . producing the last 6 years and i find they quik , clean, handy, and sounds pro
Hey Folks -

I appreciate the input but I'm looking for recommendations on what microphone to use. I just reread my original post and the misunderstanding is my fault. It does look like I'm asking about a recording device.

My computer will continue to be the recording device. I'm looking for a recommendation on what microphone (type of mic or actual make/model) to mic my Fender amp into my computer. Also, I'm looking forinfe on how to make the actual physical connection. Most microphones will have an xlr connector while a 3mm or usb is needed on the computer end.

Thanks!
Quote by MrWannabe
Hey Folks -

I appreciate the input but I'm looking for recommendations on what microphone to use. I just reread my original post and the misunderstanding is my fault. It does look like I'm asking about a recording device.

My computer will continue to be the recording device. I'm looking for a recommendation on what microphone (type of mic or actual make/model) to mic my Fender amp into my computer. Also, I'm looking forinfe on how to make the actual physical connection. Most microphones will have an xlr connector while a 3mm or usb is needed on the computer end.

Thanks!

Well usually the basic setup is you mic an amp up with a dynamic like a Shure SM-57 then connect that up via XLR to an interface such as the M-Audio fast track as previously mentioned. This allows you to record guitar directly to the computer and the fast track is hooked up to the computer via USB.

There are such things as USB mic's but in my opinion don't go anywhere near them. If the pro's don't use them you shouldn't really be using them. An experienced tech geek will be able to explain more about why USB mic's suck but basically the only way to solve the problem of crap quality recordings is get a better interface or a better mic in this case.
The problem out of your previous setup was not your Mackie, but your soundcard. That determined the quality. In this case, these interfaces are like external sound cards and plug in through USB or Firewire, so there's no problem. The best way to get a good sound with your Fender is an SM57 or condenser (if you really want the clean sounds) connected to a Presonus Audiobox/Inspire 1394. That'll connect to your computer, change a few settings in Sonar to record off the device, and that's it.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101