are there any programs similar to Boot Camp that will allow me to dual boot Vista and Mac OS X on my new PC im getting?
here are the specs, BTW:
DELL INSPIRON 518
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q6600 (8MB L2, 2.4GHz, 1066FSB)
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
4GB1 Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (2 DIMM)
640GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB supporting HDMI
20" LCD wide/flat monitor
Upgraded Dell speakers w/ sub

all for around $750 with my dad's work discount for Dell computers.

so basically, i need Boot Camp for a PC. any help?
Bootcamp? You want to do basic training over a computer. Wow, even the army lets you work from home.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I thought this was about attending some sort of internet Boot camp for the army or something

hahahaha same

i bet half the people who click on this thread is thinking the same thing
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
You're not legally allowed to install Mac OSX on a PC. There are hacked versions, but they're not worth the hassle.

And as for booting multiple operating systems on a PC, it's something you have to manually set up, which means manually installing the operating systems and finding and installing the hardware drivers for each operating system.

If you don't know how to do this, get a computer savvy friend to set it up for you.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
just make sure you havea free partition on the drive, if not get a small cheap drive and then install the operating system there.
the motherboard will handle the rest allowing you to choose what OS you want at start up
I dual boot XP 64, vista 32 and vista 64 believe it or not
Quote by GaijinFoot
just make sure you havea free partition on the drive, if not get a small cheap drive and then install the operating system there.
the motherboard will handle the rest allowing you to choose what OS you want at start up
I dual boot XP 64, vista 32 and vista 64 believe it or not

3 OS's is called a tri-boot.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Mac makes Parallels, which perfectly emulates Windows, but you're gonna need a Windows CD. You can get a free trial which actually works without restrictions for a month, or you can buy it. Or you can... well... you know, although they might be hard to find.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Mac makes Parallels, which perfectly emulates Windows, but you're gonna need a Windows CD. You can get a free trial which actually works without restrictions for a month, or you can buy it. Or you can... well... you know, although they might be hard to find.

...why would you go through the hair pulling hassle of installing a modded OSX on a PC to run parallels to run Windows, which originally runs on PC in the first place?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
...why would you go through the hair pulling hassle of installing a modded OSX on a PC to run parallels to run Windows, which originally runs on PC in the first place?

Because then you could simultaneously run Mac.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I was under the impression it's possible, but you have to go into the BIOS when you start up in order to choose which HD you want to boot from.

To boot more than one OS in general, you don't need to go into the BIOS. You set up the OSes in such a way that there is a primary OS which embeds a boot manager onto the hard drive, and you just select the OS you want to boot in when your computer initially boots up to the primary boot manager.

As for booting OSX, it doesn't apply either. It's the same deal, but most likely you won't even be able to successfully install the OS to begin with.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Sonicxlover
Because then you could simultaneously run Mac.

I bet 9/10 it wouldn't work on a modded OSX. They have extremely limited hardware support to begin with and all distributions of the mods are "trial" versions, which means the OS does not work in many functions.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
if i bought a legit copy of OS X, could i install it on a clean harddrive without any problems?
im pretty computer savvy, but not an expert. i could figure it out i bet..
Quote by clearchaos
im pretty computer savvy

Clearly, you are not.

A perfect copy of OSX cannot be installed on a PC, period.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Clearly, you are not.

A perfect copy of OSX cannot be installed on a PC, period.

well i've seen it done, they just had problems with sound, networking, etc.
patched versions can, so i guess i'll go that route.
Quote by Xiaoxi
To boot more than one OS in general, you don't need to go into the BIOS. You set up the OSes in such a way that there is a primary OS which embeds a boot manager onto the hard drive, and you just select the OS you want to boot in when your computer initially boots up to the primary boot manager.

I shall have to look into this. Vista is being a pain with some applications and programs (For some things it tells me that the syntax is incorrect when installing, when it clearly isn't). I figure making an XP partition will help with that, considering I have a spare HD just lying about in me comp.
Quote by clearchaos
well i've seen it done, they just had problems with sound, networking, etc.
patched versions can, so i guess i'll go that route.

...which is why I said a perfect copy can't be installed.

You're talking about modded versions, which like you said, barely function. I often set up multiple OS's, including OSX on a PC and I'm telling you now that it's not worth it. You won't be able to do anything in it and it'll just take up hard drive space.

If you want to use OSX that badly, buy a Mac. Otherwise, don't bother if you have any common sense at all.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You don't need bootcamp to run multiple OS's on a PC. I am pretty sure that I shouldn't link you the modded version of OS X that works on non-apple hardware. Use google.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I shall have to look into this. Vista is being a pain with some applications and programs (For some things it tells me that the syntax is incorrect when installing, when it clearly isn't). I figure making an XP partition will help with that, considering I have a spare HD just lying about in me comp.

Check out my thread on a quad boot I attempted...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=927236&highlight=quad+boot

You'll get some info there.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
ughh.
mac's are so expensive, why can't they just make OS X for the PC?
besides the fact that nobody would by mac's then...
Quote by Masonpwiley
You don't need bootcamp to run multiple OS's on a PC. I am pretty sure that I shouldn't link you the modded version of OS X that works on non-apple hardware. Use google.

you could PM me, though..
Quote by clearchaos
you could PM me, though..

Fine, you wanna be stupid? Here are your options:

Kalyway, OSX86, iAtkos.

Don't come crying when you can't do jack shit on it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by clearchaos
ughh.
mac's are so expensive, why can't they just make OS X for the PC?
besides the fact that nobody would by mac's then...

Sure, fanboys would.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Sure, fanboys would.

Pssh. Macbook Pros are superior.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Pssh. Macbook Pros are superior.

They are nice, but overpriced.
Quote by Masonpwiley
They are nice, but overpriced.
Not really, considering their technical design.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
anyone else think Xiaoxi is being pretty arrogant? i know he knows what hes talking about.. but why do you have to be so condescending when TS is just looking for some answers?

im curious how this works on a PC, because Parallels runs windows horribly on my mac, but thats just because i have the low end macbook. Anyway, good luck with whatever this guy is advising you to do, and post results

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by clearchaos
are there any programs similar to Boot Camp that will allow me to dual boot Vista and Mac OS X on my new PC im getting?
here are the specs, BTW:

all for around $750 with my dad's work discount for Dell computers.

so basically, i need Boot Camp for a PC. any help?

you can't boot OS X on any computer other than a mac. it's in the terms of service for every mac operating system. sorreh.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by chipmunksurfer
anyone else think Xiaoxi is being pretty arrogant? i know he knows what hes talking about.. but why do you have to be so condescending when TS is just looking for some answers?

I wasn't condescending to begin with, but he obviously just does not listen. So if he wants to be stupid, I'll treat him like one. And if anything, he's arrogant for not taking no for an answer when it clearly can't be done correctly.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
I wasn't condescending to begin with, but he obviously just does not listen. So if he wants to be stupid, I'll treat him like one. And if anything, he's arrogant for not taking no for an answer when it clearly can't be done correctly.

maybe im mistaken. wait but how do you treat someone like a stupid? but is it really not possible at all? or it just wont run smoothly if it does work

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
If you want Boot Camp, get a Mac
they are PCs as well.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by chipmunksurfer
maybe im mistaken. wait but how do you treat someone like a stupid?
By being condescending. And yes, I purposefully used stupid as a noun.

but is it really not possible at all? or it just wont run smoothly if it does work
Like I said already, a fully functioning copy of OSX will not work. The modded versions work BECAUSE they have so many functions disabled that OSX can't detect that it's not running on native hardware.

Not only that, but because these mods are illegal, very few people work on the projects, which means very little hardware support. The programmers painstakingly try to accommodate various hardware that PCs have, but there are so many different models and makes that it's impossible for them to cover even a decent amount of grounds. So chances are that after you installed OSX on your PC, it won't recognize the video card, or the sound card, or the network card, and so on. And even if you've lucked out and have no hardware issues, which is probably a 1/20 chance, you're still running a disabled OS for reasons above.

The kicker here is that TS acknowledges that they don't work, yet he still wants to install it and he thinks he's "pretty computer savvy."

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 18, 2008,
bit off topic but I am now quad booting! I have Vista business 32, Vista business 64, XP 64 and Ubuntu.
I can't tell if Ubuntu is 64, I got it from some strange program called wubi that downloads it and installs in on a windows partition in a folder, you can even uninstall it just like a regular program.
I might just get XP 32 just to be completely smug in the most geekiest way possible!

If you wonder how I pay for all of this, I'm a student of computer science and microsoft give us free everything!
I asked my tutor why, is it limited? cut down? he said 'It's called weaning you onto the drug'
it's called OSx86. It's a pain in the ass, (technically) illegal and useless... why would you buy a perfectly functional PC only to put a useless OS on it?

And actually, once installed, OSx86 runs fluidly on almost any hardware configuration. AMD Athlon 64 1.2ghz CPU, 512 ram, Geforce 5200: ran 10.4 superbly, 10.5 was ok.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I installed Ubuntu on XP. Easy as hell. Pop in the disc and let it do its thing, then when you turn the computer on it asks which OS to boot with. I had been wondering whether my Intel OS X discs would do the same, honestly...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
I had been wondering whether my Intel OS X discs would do the same, honestly...

Well you can stop wondering now. It won't.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana