A Jazzy/Rocking Roll lick I can go up and down the nick in tab,anyone got a link.
Last edited by Brenda D Smith at Nov 18, 2008,
learn the blues scale... i think that may be what your looking for
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
I try that and so far it sounds like I am playing scales,not music.Do any ony know the lick Brain S, uses for I gonna rock this house.
Just takes practice until you learn how to utilize a scale in a more musical fashion. Get comfortable with your phrasing before playing all over the place. Just takes practice honestly.
I agree this the big problem, I have been playing for over 30 plus years,off and on.But mostly covering songs,I just get into taking my guitar to the next level.I get so stuck, I heard songs in my head,but when I try to play them nothing. I hope this mean I am getting there,

I have been leaning the caged/modes,getting into more blues?
Quote by ruiner999
Just takes practice until you learn how to utilize a scale in a more musical fashion. Get comfortable with your phrasing before playing all over the place. Just takes practice honestly.

Developing licks is more creative when YOU do it. Take the Am pentatonic scale (blues scale that you know?) and practice every position over and over until you can play it fairly fast. Then start doing scale exercises.

(Numbers refer to the order of notes played in a scale. I.E. 5TH position 6th string, 1st finger = 1, 5th position 6th string, 4th finger = 2.)
Some of them are: 3 note groups: 123, 234, 345, (Play up and down)
Another: 1234, 5432, etc.

Start developing your own licks by just playing around on the scales. Incorporate the roots for ending a certain lick. Develop your basics, don't jump into things.

Edit: Also add emotion by using slides, vibrato, bends.
Last edited by Rickjames730 at Nov 18, 2008,
Pattern of Thirds sounds good when descending...

|---------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------5-----|
|---------------------------5-----5-7---5-7-9---7-9-|
|---------5-----5-7---5-7-9---7-9-----9-------------|
|---5-7-9---7-9-----9-------------------------------|

this, but starting at high E and working your way up.
But thats just for Am Aeolian. It can be applied to any scale with 3 notes per string.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
I heartily suggest after some practicing on your scales, inviting a friend that plays to a jam session and you guys just improvise in whatever key. It's more fun to learn what works in a setting like that, at least for me.