Page 1 of 3
I was reading the comments on the GnR article about the 3 new songs that you can listen to. Someone mentioned in there something I thought would make a cool topic.

So how long does a band actually stay that same band? How many lineup changes can you go through before you are hearing an entirely different band altogether? What members do you think shape a band the most? Who are the most replaceable?

What were some bands that were never the same after losing (so and so) member? Or what bands shined once (so and so) joined up?

Okay pit, discuss!

*edit*

To kick things off, I think that after Dave Grohl joined up with Nirvana, he helped their sound immensely.
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Nov 18, 2008,
Everyone in the band makes the band. Take one person out, and it will NEVER sound the same. GnR aren't even GnR; they're like Axl's solo project. >_>
Really, it depends on who the main songwriter is. Iced Earth has not changed drastically throughout their career, yet they've gone through as many lineup changes as Megadeth.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
GnR aren't the same band anymore, in fact any sort of lineup change changes the band. Sometimes awesomely (like Iron Maiden) or sometimes not so awesomely, (Like GnR.)

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
When all the original members are gone or the one member that is the soul of the band leaves.
I'd say the guitarist and the singer make up the sound of the band. So, losing either of those key members, I'd say it's time for a name change.

But, of course, there are a few exceptions. Alice in Chains is not necessarily a different band. If you've heard Jerry Cantrell's solo albums, you can tell he plays a very big role. Losing Staley may have lost the bands distinct voice, but the "evil" guitar will still be present, which was AiC was known for.

Now, Queen? Freddy Mercury WAS Queen.

It all matters on the bands situation. Like you said, if the sound changes, the band name should change along with it.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Quote by Black Star
Really, it depends on who the main songwriter is. Iced Earth has not changed drastically throughout their career, yet they've gone through as many lineup changes as Megadeth.

True enough, though from The Glorious Burden onwards, the sound has definitly changed.

Some bands change their sound without changing members.

Mastodon hasn't had any lineup change (other than the very early loss of their first singer) and every one of their albums so far has had a different sound than the previous ones.
Quote by Black Star

i agree w/this and megadeth is still the same as well
Most of the bands I like are made up half the original members and then replacements for other members.

I'd say it's when the iconic bandmember, the member you all go crazy for, leaves, that's when the band is not the same band/=.
Quote by foob85
Everyone in the band makes the band. Take one person out, and it will NEVER sound the same. GnR aren't even GnR; they're like Axl's solo project. >_>

I couldn't agree more
Quote by Pedalboard
I'd say the guitarist and the singer make up the sound of the band. So, losing either of those key members, I'd say it's time for a name change.

In most cases yes, but not always.

Look at Tool, you take any of them out, and it's not Tool anymore.
Quote by M.P.A.Guitarist
really depends iidk,,, the singer

not nececelery...

Aerosmith, when Joe Perry left, they changed totally

AC/DC,

got a new singer and they were even better
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I'd say it's when the iconic bandmember, the member you all go crazy for, leaves, that's when the band is not the same band/=.

This. Mustaine is Megadeth, Iommi is Sabbath and... um... Vikernes is Burzum.

Quote by Corruption

got a new singer and they were even better

I disagree.
it begins and ends with guns n' roses.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
the new GNR is just called GNR cus axl couldnt think of a new name(or new songs for that matter)
besides it took him like 13 yrs for a new album
slash left gnr and started slashs snake pit almost immediatly
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
When singers leave, bands usually get worse. Examples: UnderOATH replacing Dallas Taylor with Spencer Chamberlain, Saosin's Anthony Green being replaced by Cove Reber, John Nolan leaving Taking Back Sunday, and Blessthefall getting the singer from Escape The Fate.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by M.P.A.Guitarist
really depends iidk,,, the singer

AC/DC, Nightwish, Escape The Fate, Scar Symmetry (which might fail), Black Sabbath...

It depends how it happens, how defined the sound was, when it happens, who started the band, whether a key member is left...

Like, if the whole band left, and the drummers just found new members, the band would be a different band really.

Edit: And Iron Maiden, shouldn't have forgotten them... =\
Last edited by Regression at Nov 18, 2008,
If you take out any member from Iron Maiden, its not the same band, except for maybe Janick Gers. Even Steve Harris, the bassist that's written almost every song. :O
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
when the main creative force leaves, thats when the band becomes a different band. like when timo left stratovarius. or when everyone left gnr.

think of it this way: what would have a bigger impact on iron maiden? a new singer or a new bassist?

theyve been recorded with three singers: paul dianno, bruce dickinson, and blaze bayley. while sometimes the sound did change, they always had steve harris, the main creative force behind the band. so the band itself never changed.
Quote by Trefellin
This. Mustaine is Megadeth, Iommi is Sabbath and... um... Vikernes is Burzum.

Haha...burzum doesn't have many options for a lineup change.
Quote by shut_up_n00b
When singers leave, bands usually get worse. Examples: UnderOATH replacing Dallas Taylor with Spencer Chamberlain, Saosin's Anthony Green being replaced by Cove Reber, John Nolan leaving Taking Back Sunday, and Blessthefall getting the singer from Escape The Fate.

You mean vice versa?
It depends if the main songwriter is still in the band. And by songwriter than includes composing and arranging instrumental parts of the song too. Even if they get all washed up and totally lose all their greatness, if the songwriter is still the same, it's still the same band. Motley Crue and GNR are the perfect examples.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
I think the bands that really arn't the same band without the original members are a lot of 3 piece bands. Muse for example, If you took out a single one of them, it wouldn't be near the same sound.
When the mastermind(s) of the band leave (like Mikael Akerdfeldt leaving Opeth).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Black Star

I would like to add "whoever is/are most musically present" in the band. Megadeth has gone through several lead guitarists yet are still essentially the same because Dave Mustaine is the force behind it. Metallica also make a good example for the reverse - after Burton's passing, the difference in the compositions became extremely apparent (Newsted was more linear in terms of basslines compared to Burton's fleet-fingered rhythms, and Trujillo has definitely more "bounce").

The new GnR are a poor example though - they didn't play any new songs right up until this latter half of the decade, so new GnR sounded EXACTLY like old GnR because they were still playing the same songs. To that end, though, you can REALLY feel how much Velvet Revolver and GnR were once the same band - Axl without his slamming rhythm section just becomes annoying, and VR's sparkplug songs were hampered by Scott Weiland's drone.
Quote by bigredbeast
how much is 15,000 PHP? I didn't know they played guitar in the Phillipines. I thought they played ukelele or something.

Because, of course, we're too far away from places with guitars and all that stuff so we play ukelele...
Quote by jetfuel495

theyve been recorded with three singers: paul dianno, bruce dickinson, and blaze bayley. while sometimes the sound did change, they always had steve harris, the main creative force behind the band. so the band itself never changed.

It didn't change a huge amount between singers. Some songs, I can't even tell the difference between Dickinson and Bayley.
Quote by pataldo
Sepultura. They don't even have one original member left.

+1
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
It depends on the band. Without a key member, the band is different.

Guns N Roses is perfect example here. Slash, Duff and Izzy were key. Steven Adler wasn't really. He was replaced, no big deal. Izzy got replaced, it wasn't the same.

Black Sabbath without Tony Iommi or Ozzy isn't really Black Sabbath. I guess Geezer could be there too.

Metallica without Lars or James wouldn't be Metallica.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Rocker_94

Black Sabbath without Tony Iommi or Ozzy isn't really Black Sabbath. I guess Geezer could be there too.

Ozzy isn't Sabbath. Black Sabbath lives as long as Iommi does.
Quote by Regression
You mean vice versa?

Not sure really. I'm not a fan of any of the bands. Besides for Blessthefall's older songs.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Yet most of the albums after Ozzy and Dio sucked. Iommi couldn't do it all himself.
Usually when a key band member leaves, i.e. Wilco has always been Wilco despite only 2 of the original five being left. Then again, Shannon Hoon was the main songwriter for Blind Melon, and they remained the same band, albeit in a somewhat different form.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung
Quote by dark&broken
True enough, though from The Glorious Burden onwards, the sound has definitly changed.

Some bands change their sound without changing members.

Mastodon hasn't had any lineup change (other than the very early loss of their first singer) and every one of their albums so far has had a different sound than the previous ones.

TGB was a change, but they came back with Framing Armageddon. Different, yet still reminiscent of the old material. Anyways, the point was that they didn't change sound because of lineup changes, especially since TGB was written while Barlow was still in the band.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Page 1 of 3