Ok, so like most people here I am trying to attain that "perfect" technique. And to be honest, I think I'm actually decent. I've changed the way I play a lot in the 15 months I've been playing, and it seems like every time I go from doing something "my way" to doing it the proper way I improve by leaps and bounds.

One little thing though is that I tend to tuck my pinky when I play, unless there's some pinky heavy riffage ahead. I notice like Shawn Lane (perfect technique IMO), Steve Vai, and many other guitarists with great technique never tuck their pinky (shame on you yngwie! )

So I started trying to fix the problem. Naturally - because the pinky is the most underdeveloped finger - it's awkward, to say the least. So I was thinking, why not try to develop strength on it all day? You know, like work it out, even when I'm at school and have a break? What exactly would be a good tool for this? I'm NOT buying a "shreadneck".

I was looking at this. Has anyone used one? Was it beneficial? I know the best way to improve on it is to just play, but when I'm at school not doing anything I don't see why I couldn't be building finger strength to help me. Or would this even help?

Thanks for all helpful responses
I have that grip thing, its worthless to me.

For finger strength and control my guitar teacher told me to practice playing 4 frets at a time all the way up the strings (so like 1-4 frets on all strings) and for each fret, push with just enough strentgth to make the string sound, and then instead of lifting your finger off, just let the string push your finger off. Then go all the way back down once you go to the top (you might have to move your finger a little so the it doesn't mute the string on the way down)

That helped me develop control over all my fingers and stop mashing the neck when I play. As a result of that my pinky just started to hang around with the other fingers, rather than tuck under my fingers (I also use it for some powerchords and things to keep him in use)
I tuck my pinky too lol, but thats because i broke it, never got it checked out untill it was way to late and it didn heal rite
Hold fingers relaxed, touching flat surface as if to type on it - tap fingers 1 and 3 and then 2 and 4 off the table, focusing on a strong "bounce" off the table. This drills both muscles sets and doesn't require a guitar.
Quote by Freepower
Hold fingers relaxed, touching flat surface as if to type on it - tap fingers 1 and 3 and then 2 and 4 off the table, focusing on a strong "bounce" off the table. This drills both muscles sets and doesn't require a guitar.

Ok cool. Thanks guys

I still may pick up the grip thing, just because tbh I get bored at school (I'm a junior, I take college classes, have a 3.8 and I guess I'm "gifted" or whatever), I sit through lectures that I really know everything about (yay no child left behind...), so it might just give me something to focus on rather than being totally bored .

But I'll try to do the tapping more often. I do it sometimes (that order too) but just never really frequently.
I do the finger tapping/lifting thing as well. It can be quite maddening at first with all kinds of other fingers wanting to join in on the action.

When you're on the guitar, I've found that any short phrase that uses the pinky twice is very helpful with getting your dexterity improved. So for example, patterns like 1-4-2-4 and 1-4-3-4. Use that pattern and apply to some scales you know, etc, etc.

For example, ascending through E minor would look like this:

|------------------------------------------8-12-10-12----|
|-------------------------------8-12-10-12---------------|
|---------------------7-11-9-11--------------------------|
|-----------7-10-9-10------------------------------------|
|-7-10-9-10----------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------|
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Hmmm my pinky sticks out a lot and flops around.

Freepower's videos will cure that in time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.