My friend lent me a starter bass guitar and an amp
I really liked playing and since Christmas is coming soon i was thinking of getting a new bass guitar and amp but i don't know which ones to get.

Price range is around 100-200 dollars for a bass and the same for an amp

Im into a Rock/punk style of music
Last edited by jophez at Nov 18, 2008,
acoustic b100 or a b50 amp, and a Ibanez Gsr200 for the bass
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
well i was thinking of getting one of these
Rogue LX200B $119.99
Ibanez GSRM20 $169
Rogue LX205B Series II 5-String Bass Guitar $169
GSRM20 aint bad.
Rogue isn't so hot though.

the AB50 is great. so is the B100, or B20, but that isn't as great of a deal. but if you want to save money, it isn't bad at all.

read the FAQ definitely though. for punk, a P-bass may be the thing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
is the GSR200 a better bass than the Rogue LX205B?

a 5 string guitar sounds like fun
The 4-string rogue necks are horribly wide and have terrible string spacing. I can't imagine how bad a rogue would be with 5 strings--unplayable IMO. THen again maybe they just slap the same neck on everything to save money and the five would feel normal.

Rogue's passive electronics are also absolutely attrocious. I have a passive rogue fretless, and not only were the stock pickups absolute crap, the tone pots have seemingly random capacitors on them and are wired poorly. I have a rogue acoustic electric guitar and got a real gem for cheap, but stay the hell away from their basses-at least the passive ones.

if you really want a 5 string and like the ibanez, get a gsr205 instead of a gsr200. Problem solved. I had an ibanez sr305 and and the neck was ibanez thin, and very very playable.
its just i was thinking of a price around 150 more or less becuz i dont think my parents will give me a 250 dollar present for my bday XD
Quote by dullsilver_mike
The 4-string rogue necks are horribly wide and have terrible string spacing. I can't imagine how bad a rogue would be with 5 strings--unplayable IMO. THen again maybe they just slap the same neck on everything to save money and the five would feel normal.

Rogue's passive electronics are also absolutely attrocious. I have a passive rogue fretless, and not only were the stock pickups absolute crap, the tone pots have seemingly random capacitors on them and are wired poorly. I have a rogue acoustic electric guitar and got a real gem for cheap, but stay the hell away from their basses-at least the passive ones.

if you really want a 5 string and like the ibanez, get a gsr205 instead of a gsr200. Problem solved. I had an ibanez sr305 and and the neck was ibanez thin, and very very playable.

Rouges are essentially made by people who take dumps on the assembly line and shape the fecal matter to resemble bass guitars. Thats why they are so "s h i t t y"
Quote by jophez
is the GSR200 a better bass than the Rogue LX205B?

a 5 string guitar sounds like fun

definitely, Rogue amps aren't too awful, they don't poop out on you unusually often and can summon clean tones when politely asked, but the basses fail miserably.

get the Ibanez. and 5 is fine.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by dullsilver_mike

can you tell me about the ibanez 5 string?
Quote by jophez
can you tell me about the ibanez 5 string?

I know this isn't quoted for me, but I also have the Ibanez Sr305. Fantastic mid priced bass, probably the best for the money (in terms of 5 stringers). The necks is thin and very fast, the width at the nut is only 45mm. Has a wide range of tones, you wont be getting the BEST tone, can sometimes sound a little hollow. Very light basses, good fret access, well constructed. Granted that I am an Ibanez fanboy though lol.

The only negative can be the tone, not much mids in there.
Quote by Micehorns
I know this isn't quoted for me, but I also have the Ibanez Sr305. Fantastic mid priced bass, probably the best for the money (in terms of 5 stringers). The necks is thin and very fast, the width at the nut is only 45mm. Has a wide range of tones, you wont be getting the BEST tone, can sometimes sound a little hollow. Very light basses, good fret access, well constructed. Granted that I am an Ibanez fanboy though lol.

The only negative can be the tone, not much mids in there.

Thanks alot, what do u think is a good price for the ibanez GRS205?
Quote by jophez
Thanks alot, what do u think is a good price for the ibanez GRS205?

Being from another country, I couldnt say. But having checked a few American websites, $249.99 seems the average price. Which ain't bad at all.
Get a used Squier Vintage Modified bass, they are great for the money (even if you are a snob).

ampwise I would get a used Peavey TKO115
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.