i havent changed my strings on my acoustic for two years alreaedy, and i was wondering what kind of strings i should get. any suggestions?
get some of thoes elixir strings that last for ages. chances are, you aint going to be changing them any time soon
*Enter Sig Here*
I agree, d'addario. The might not last as long as whatever elixers you're talking about, but I know that they have a much better sound, and personally I really don't like the feel of elixers.
i dont know what they are, but i know there made by elixir, so suss out there website and see what im talking about.

changing strings is awesome, your guitar is going to sound so different when you so, its really going to come alive.

IMO, if you really dont wanna change strings, you should still do it like, monthly
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by jm12sl
I agree, d'addario. The might not last as long as whatever elixers you're talking about, but I know that they have a much better sound, and personally I really don't like the feel of elixers.

if your going to go d'addario, you might as well get ernie balls.

both these brands would together be the mid range of guitar strings.

the strings are fine, (i use EB's) but you can get cheap crap strings, and you can get
some platinum plated strings that cost a billion $, or other fancy stuff etc.

IMO, still get the elixirs.
*Enter Sig Here*
ehh. just whichever, lol. they'll be fine.

My personal favs are Martin SPs. Always get great, consistent tone from those.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
d'addario's dont sound better.. ernie balls feel/sound better than addario's IMO, and a strings a string, they dont really feel different (majorly, its not as if ones barbwire and the other is silk)

it comes down to you really, get something, if you dont end up liking it, get something else next time.
*Enter Sig Here*
there might be something on sale, dont get it unless its ernie ball, or daddario.

in saying that i used some gibson strings on my electric a while ago, they retail for like $25AUD, and they were decent.

ask someone at the shop, they sell them for a living so would prob know more about them than the pit
*Enter Sig Here*
yeah ill just do that then haha oh and by the way i have that 10% off coupon haha so ill use that.
I actually don't like D'addarios at all. The tone has always been very plain sounding. When choosing strings, you have to remember to be very open to different brands. Each set of strings sound different on each guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I use Ernie Ball strings, because I'm attracted to bright colours.

Besides, the EB packet has a whole lot of famous guitarists listed so if I use their strings then logic dictates that I should be able to play like artists listed right... no?
Quote by DespisedIcon
D'addario.

Phosphor Bronze. Either lights or mediums, whatever you prefer. But these strings sound AWESOME
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I personally favor the Elixir strings, but prefer the nano-web variety rather than the poly-web. The gauge is a matter of what your guitar is built to accept, and personal preference, in that order.

In terms of gauge, I often hear players swear by heavier strings because they have "more tone", however, depending on the guitar, if it's strung too heavily, will simply stop the top from resonating as it should, due to the additional tension. If the guitar can take heavier gauge strings, it will at the least sound "tighter" with more punch and less sustain and "bloom" in the tone...better for slammin flatpicking, less so for detailed fingerstyle or big chordal styles.

Elixirs aren't as bright and full-sounding as un-coated strings when brand new, but they're pretty close, and their tone doesn't roll off for a long, long time.

I'm one of those people with corrosive fingers that can degrade strings very quickly; I've found that, with uncoated strings, even very high-end ones, they start to sound like rubber bands, and lose volume and depth after only a couple hours of playing, whereas the Elixirs sound good for a month or more, which more than justifies the difference in price, IMO.

In terms of the way they feel, these are a bit slippery compared to uncoated, but I like that....reduces string noise, especially when recording. The nanos are more like uncoated strings than the polys in the way they feel and play, which is the perfect compromise for me.