well, this is my n-th thread about changing gear ideas... here it goes, again.

I am [hopefully] selling my semi-hollow guitar (appraisal thread) and definitely selling my BOSS DS-2 (I don't use it at all, it's absolute ****).

I am guessing $240-$260 (alongside the $200 for Christmas) to play around with in store credit? The store can order stuff...

I was thinking:
-new pickups for GRG (I'd keep the old ones in case I ever buy a new guitar and want to sell it) (Dimarzio Breeds, Duncan Customs, GFS?)
-delay pedal (possibly even a POD XT [or something] and use the 4-cable method for the effects if it sounds alright, does it sound good or does the entire signal get digital and not tube-ish?)
-cheaper tuner pedal (maybe?)
-a longer cable
-new tuners and more springs for GRG, as well as a setup
-new preamp/poweramp tubes

and then some things not related to guitar...

The POD sparked my interest because it would be several effects pedals in one, as well as a tuner. And from what I have read, the 4-cable method lets me use my amps overdrive to combine it with the effects without being extremely not-tube-sounding.

tl;dr

Read it, you lazy bastards.

*HERE is the previous thread I had if you want some background information, please do not post there, but post here.

Last edited by dudey5691 at Nov 19, 2008,
Quote by dudey5691

I was thinking:
-new pickups for GRG (I'd keep the old ones in case I ever buy a new guitar and want to sell it) (Dimarzio Breeds, Duncan Customs, GFS?)
--new tuners and more springs for GRG, as well as a complete professional setup

Putting new pickups in an Ibanez GRG is like putting one chrome spinner rim on your volvo - it looks new but doesn't really do any good.

I'd say sell em all and buy new stuff. Or save up and do the same.

IMO.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
This is not the starter's pack guitar, it's not complete ****. Upgrading this is essentially no different than upgrading a Squire or a MIM fender. This guitar sounds better than the MIM Strat my neighbor has by a **** load.
I'm not trying to argue, but I do think that new pickups would do a substantial amount of good for this guitar. Which is why I also included GFS pickups as a choice

Also, I have considered selling both of them... I do love the feel of the Schecter 006 Elite, but I do not know if it is as versatile as I need it to be. I may as well get both appraised... but I can almost guarantee that the max from both of them would be $350, and that's basically buying less than one-step up from this. And even with $100 extra (enough to get the other things), I probably could not get a guitar in that price range with a tremolo that isn't an FR [or copy], and has good humbuckers and single coils.
Quote by Highwaytohell
What Fx do you want to use

I mainly want a delay right now, but I am guessing I could always use a flanger/phaser, chorus, or reverb.

Remember, that whole POD thing is hypothetical right now... if anything I'd try to get a G-sharp, but it doesn't offer reverb and delay at the same time
Last edited by dudey5691 at Nov 18, 2008,
New Pickups for sure.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I stand by my original statement. Having played GRGs and then playing other Ibanez - even low end ones like an RG321, there is an enormous difference.

However, if you really love the guitar, which is fine - it's yours, and that's what counts - Then I'd say a DiMarizo Evolution. I put one in my S series a year or so back, and I've loved it completely. Best pickup, IMO.

If not that, check into a Seymour Duncan JB/59 set.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I stand by my original statement. Having played GRGs and then playing other Ibanez - even low end ones like an RG321, there is an enormous difference.

However, if you really love the guitar, which is fine - it's yours, and that's what counts - Then I'd say a DiMarizo Evolution. I put one in my S series a year or so back, and I've loved it completely. Best pickup, IMO.

If not that, check into a Seymour Duncan JB/59 set.

I respect your opinion, I didn't mean to come off as a prick, but for some reason my hands don't really like the higher end RG or ARC necks... I can believe that they'd love the S-series, but I haven't been lucky enough to play those. I can handle the neck on this one and it feels better than most guitars [for me], and I was seriously considering a Schecter 006 Elite (if I got the money around) because that guitar felt amazing.

I am not saying I won't sell the guitar, but I'm keeping that opportunity open for now...
The Evo's are a bit too articulate for me I was thinking the Breeds since they go excellent with basswood, but then again the cost may outweigh the benefits...which is why GFS is sounding a lot better (financially, not literally), despite my slight hesitance from them.
Quote by dudey5691
I respect your opinion, I didn't mean to come off as a prick, but for some reason my hands don't really like the higher end RG or ARC necks... I can believe that they'd love the S-series, but I haven't been lucky enough to play those. I can handle the neck on this one and it feels better than most guitars [for me], and I was seriously considering a Schecter 006 Elite (if I got the money around) because that guitar felt amazing.

I am not saying I won't sell the guitar, but I'm keeping that opportunity open for now...
The Evo's are a bit too articulate for me I was thinking the Breeds since they go excellent with basswood, but then again the cost may outweigh the benefits...which is why GFS is sounding a lot better (financially, not literally), despite my slight hesitance from them.

Check out Rockfield Pickups, some of the best around for the price. They blow GFS away IMO.

Two of my fav of there's:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rockfield-Fat-Ass-Humbucker-Pickup-300098-i1169867.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rockfield-Mafia-Humbucker-Pickup-300097-i1275659.gc

They have awesome sound clips on their website of each of their pups too.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Pod.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by dudey5691

Nah man you didn't come off as a prick. You like your guitar and that's good.

I don't have much experience with breeds except on a 7 string, and that changes it a bit. Try maybe a ToneZone?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Nah man you didn't come off as a prick. You like your guitar and that's good.

I don't have much experience with breeds except on a 7 string, and that changes it a bit. Try maybe a ToneZone?

I have been told the Tone Zone numerous occasions, do you know how it sounds? I've heard some clips, but they're hard to find (well, good quality ones at least). Pretty versatile?

^^Necro, I've never heard of those pickups before, but I'm going to take a bit further look at them... they seem to be pretty close to what I'm going for. The ones that seemed for me were the "Turbo" i both positions, since I seem to like a more aggressive PAF tone.

Thanks for suggesting those!

*Taking a second look at Rockfield, the SWC's seem to be more versatile, and have the coil-tap capability. They seem really good, know anything about them?
Last edited by dudey5691 at Nov 20, 2008,