I'm going to the 20th anniversary concert of the pumpkins tomorrow!! anybody else going!?
I've heard quite a few bad reviews of their recent shows. Something about going off on 40min jams that aren't very good. I didn't pay much attention though. Hopefully you have a great time and the put on a kick-ass show.

Have fun.
I love the Pumpkins but I hate Billy now, he's such a dickhead. He doesn't care about putting on a good show at all, plus this isn't The Smashing Pumpkins. This is Zwan 2.0 I'll even put it out there and say I liked Zwan's album rather than the new Pumpkin's album.
No I'm not going.
Quote by BerryTree
its not 1996, but yes, they still exist, and their best album was better than most of the albums from your fav bands list, so stfu

Everybody has their opinion on music.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
ive heard from numerous ppl who have attended that they have been stinking up the place. hope you have a more pleasant experience
Quote by BerryTree
yea but to say "they still exist?" as a means of sounding funny is a pretty stupid comment altogether....its not like they are totally irrelevant now, because sadly, alot of bands are.

I was surprised that they were still around, because it's been so long since I've heard anything about them. Don't make assumptions about my tone and fly off the handle. I wasn't trying to be funny.

No need to be so touchy.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
the pumpkiins have never been that great live. When I saw them in 1996 they sucked, they did the 40 minute jam thing, and still do it now. And considering they were relevant and arguably the biggest band in the world at the time, thats saying something when half the people left during the jam when I went.
Quote by BerryTree
yea but to say "they still exist?" as a means of sounding funny is a pretty stupid comment altogether....its not like they are totally irrelevant now, because sadly, alot of bands are.

i think they are pretty irrelevant.
Quote by Gibson06
I was surprised that they were still around, because it's been so long since I've heard anything about them. Don't make assumptions about my tone and fly off the handle. I wasn't trying to be funny.

No need to be so touchy.
They released an album and an EP last year and have been touring ever since...
Quote by Gibson06

No need to be so touchy.

I just reread my last comment and I think I came across as that. Lol I dont even care about the band all that much so I dont know what made me say that but everythin is cool man.

To the op, just remember to bring some ear plugs...just in case.
Quote by freedoms_stain
They released an album and an EP last year and have been touring ever since...

Thousands of bands release music and tour, I apologize for not knowing about this specific one.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
My friends went to their show at Mohegan Sun. They liked some of it, but hated the jams. Also Billy was a douche at the show too I guess. He took the mic stand cause nobody was cheering and threw it on the ground... stage hand went up to pick it up and set it up, but Billy took it again and slammed it on the ground, so the stage guy walked off in disgust I'm assuming, where another stage guy had to fix it.

I really think they gotta just stop. It's not the same without James and D'arcy.
It's debatable that they still exist since it's only half of them.

I was never a big fan of them, but a friend took me to their show last friday and I have to say it was quite good. They didn't play any of their hits, well, they played three of them, but for a two+ hour concert, you'd expect more. It was quite good though. I appreciated it. Aside from ending in the strangest way possible. The jam was obnoxious because it had no musical stylings whatsoever. It was just noise. But the show, overall was good.

Edit:
Quote by guitarkid2113
My friends went to their show at Mohegan Sun. They liked some of it, but hated the jams. Also Billy was a douche at the show too I guess. He took the mic stand cause nobody was cheering and threw it on the ground... stage hand went up to pick it up and set it up, but Billy took it again and slammed it on the ground, so the stage guy walked off in disgust I'm assuming, where another stage guy had to fix it.

To be fair, that was all an act. He's done something like that at every show. It's to play up to his "asshole" image. That's what the whole encore is all about.

Also it's a radically different setlist every night. So no one can tell you what to expect. When I went it was no singles, but the next night when my friend went it was, like, all of their hits. Even the acoustic portion changed songs.
Last edited by merfsullivan at Nov 18, 2008,
i was at both nights of their 2 night set.
I'm not a huuge smashing pumpkins fan, so i wasnt disappointed when they didnt play every single single. Though i overall really enjoyed it, there are gonna be those moments where you're like '...ok.'
like when they cover 'set the controls for the heart of the sun' for like 20 minutes. or when billy plays all of the acoustic songs off of american gothic EP. or when they play the new Heavy Metal Machine. or... basically the entire last 30-40 minutes of the first night and the occasional part of the second night.

overall second night is a lot cooler btw.
Quote by guitarkid2113

I really think they gotta just stop. It's not the same without James and D'arcy.

yea, they never really help write the music but they were key for just the foundation of the band creatively, because they were never too scared to tell billy what was working and what wasnt, unlike the two new no names.
I wish I were going!!!!!
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
lucky
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by guitarkid2113
1 My friends went to their show at Mohegan Sun. They liked some of it, but hated the jams. Also Billy was a douche at the show too I guess. He took the mic stand cause nobody was cheering and threw it on the ground... stage hand went up to pick it up and set it up, but Billy took it again and slammed it on the ground, so the stage guy walked off in disgust I'm assuming, where another stage guy had to fix it.

2I really think they gotta just stop. It's not the same without James and D'arcy.

1 man i just dont see how billy doesnt see why some people get a little bored at these shows (at times). He said at the end of the first night in toronto that he doesnt wanna just go out there and play all the band's singles, but that he wants to challenge the audience a bit- but i dont think he's doing it in the right way necessarily.
It's kinda fun sometimes when he breaks off into a lengthy solo, but to play those 20 minutes of noise (if you havent heard it yet, beleive me, it's 20 minutes of noise ) and then to play 3 or 4 solo acoustic songs off of your last EP that aren't bad, but arent the loud frontal assault that the crowd was prepared for, and be surprised when most people are sitting and calmly and quietly applauding... i just dont get what hes thinking

2 the stage doesnt feel completly pumpkins like you're used to, but to say that they have to stop i can't agree with. i think billy just needs to rethink what theyre doing
i saw the first show of their most recent tour. it was good. not exactly what i expected but still great. it was one of my if not my favorite shows ive seen. the band was just doing good that night i guess i duno. smashing pumpkins also is my favorite band. old stuff is a ton better, im only 16 so i wasnt lucky enough to see them live back then. oh well.