I was just wondering how long should somebody be playing for before they should start upgrading their gear?
How long was it before you upgraded from your starter gear?
What to you go to (price range-wise)?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
I went for a guitar from target to a $250 Ibanez RG within the first three months I started. I progressed very quickly. Thats why I got it so early
I started with a peavey raptor, and within a few months I "upgraded" to a BC Rich bronze warlock. I still think it was a good idea, because despite sounding like a pile of garbage, the warlock actually was set up nicely and played much better than the peavey.

After about three or four years, I bought my Schecter. I would say if you're going to upgrade a few months after you start playing, don't spend more than $300. If you've been playing for a few years, move up to the $500-700 range. When you feel that you're entirely comfortable and that you'll be playing for the rest of your life, start spending all of your money on musical gear and get treble clefs tattooed all over your body.

Really, though, I do have a guitar tattooed on me. I've also spent a few grand on all my gear. I don't regret it at all.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
The only real reasons you'd need to upgrade, are either you really believe that your current gear is holding you back, or that you just have money to burn. If I'm being honest with myself, most of my gear purchases fall into the second category.

I spent a little under $300 for my first setup. I bought an Epiphone SG special for $150, saved some more money and bought a Laney 15 watt practice amp a couple weeks later. Looking back, I really had no need for anything better until I started playing live. Did that stop me? Nope, I "upgraded" to a used Behringer GMX210 or something (terrible mistake) about 6 months later.
It's time to upgrade when you find something that fits you well. Then go and buy it.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Well I kind of feel as though I should wait to get a new amp.
I've been playing for two years but only got a Spider III 15 W practice amp for Christmas last year, so it's 1 year old. And I was thinking of upgrading to something in the $500-700 range.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Mayne it should be based on skill level and not time playing?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Yeah, that makes sense.
Never listening to my friends regarding gear again!
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater