I've been practicing my lead work a lot lately, using Children of Bodom as inspiration.

Their rhythm parts aren't too hard and I can get those easily. But the solos are killing me. I have yet to get one perfect.

I've been doing everything I can think of.

Practicing scales with a metronome
slowing down licks until I can play them cleanly.

But I still can't seem to pull it off. I either can't pick fast enough or my fretting hand gets all twisted up.

To anyone who can play Bodom well....what practice routine did you use to do it?

Any advice I can get would be great.
You're already doing it essentially right, how slow are you practicing and how long have you been doing so?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You're already doing it essentially right, how slow are you practicing and how long have you been doing so?

Good to know I've got the right idea at least.

I've been practicing scales with a metronome for about 6 months. So far the fastest I can get is triplets at 120 bpm.

I've been focusing on the Bodom songs for about a month now. And sometimes I can't play a certain lick cleanly unless its played at 60 or 70 bpm (the song speed is around 100)

It just seems like I'm not making much progress
Quote by yearzero
Good to know I've got the right idea at least.
I've been practicing scales with a metronome for about 6 months. So far the fastest I can get is triplets at 120 bpm.
I've been focusing on the Bodom songs for about a month now. And sometimes I can't play a certain lick cleanly unless its played at 60 or 70 bpm (the song speed is around 100)
It just seems like I'm not making much progress

Well if you honestly can't make it any faster then you need to stop focussing on speed and start looking at your technique, slow right down again and start speeding up very gradually and focus very carefully on what you're actually doing, try and spot where you start introducing imperfections into your technique and spend time at that speed or just below it trying to work out those imperfections.

OR..or rather AND

Slow right down to 25bpm or less and work on playing with absolutely perfect technique; loose, economic movements, tonal consistency and all that kind of thing. If you do this for 20 minutes a day your technique WILL improve, it'll be gradual but it'll work.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I will definitely do that.

I don't care how long it takes as I long as I'll be able to at some point.

Thanks for the advice man.
Quote by yearzero
I don't care how long it takes as I long as I'll be able to at some point.

And that's why you will succeed. Good luck man, come back if you need help again

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Bodom has been my favorite band for a long time now, and I practice Alexi's solos/lead work all the time. And the basic truth of the matter is what Zaphod has laid out, which you seem to already know. My biggest improvements happen when I'm not focusing on gaining that 1 or 2 more BPM and instead working on technique in general, without speed in mind. Perhaps go watch a Steve Morse clinic and give Bodom a rest for a bit Particularly his advice on picking through arpeggios. That seems to help my playing in all aspects, which eventually equates to speed gains due to fixing technique flaws at slow speed, which will then help playing some of Alexi's fast stuff. Good luck fellow Hate Crew
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Nov 19, 2008,
Thanks again for the advice guys I really appreciate it.

I'm going to take a couple of days off so my hands can rest up and then I'll start working with the metronome again.
My best advice for building speed is a mixture of what has already been said but also practice in bursts.
This means that for 10 minutes or so at the end of your routine practice the licks aiming for your fastest possible speed. Now the key is to attempt to keep using loose economic movements and get it as good as you can. You WILL make mistakes and you definately wont be able to play it clean but the point is that you get your brain out of its 'glass ceiling' and let it know that " hey, I can actually pick faster". But ermember to keep loose throughout and you don't want to spend a whole lot of time doing it or you will then ingrain bad habits into your technique.
The point behind it is that, whilst practicing uber slow and getting your technique perfect is 150% essential..your brain can get locked into a sort of routine whereby its getting use to practicing really slow. Also, its harder to keep entirely focused on something that is easier(although you should try and be totally focused all the time and keep reminding yourself of this when your mind wanders) than it is to focus on playing much faster than you already can whilst trying to incorporate those same economic movements.
Another point I may add is it is good to gradually add a note every so often to the sequence you are playing.For example, say you have an 8 note sequence. First play maybe 3 notes of that repeatedly and when you are getting more comfortable add a note and continue this until you are playing all 8 notes.
Again, do not practice in bursts for your entire routine or for any extended period of time for that matter. But do incorporate it as it is a great method of building speed when used alongside slow perfect practice
Andy