I went to guitar center a few times now to test this thing out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0dUwcGlz-U&feature=PlayList&p=7712E7BB04B78589&index=16

After seeing Brad and Chris get this amazing tool tone out of their b52 I must say I'm impressed with it. While I was able to get a similar tone right on the spot with a hellraiser at the shop, I'd imagine not only a good tool tone but also many other tones. But I have some questions:

-Its the floor model, and its on clearance at 500 bucks, I'd get the two year warranty anyway though =P
-How's the tubes on it stock?
-Whats up with the reliability?
-Does the 3 way rectifier switch on the back really change anything?
-I'm not really able to get the head version, but I see that the combo still has that low end knob to make it have that ooomf (not as much of course); you guys like that knob anyway?
-How much is the footswitch? I couldn't find any...
-B-52 is guitar centers own company? Does that mean its no good?

Overall I'm just a little worried because of my first experience with tube amps failing on me more than I'd like them to.

Any responses are awesome!
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I have one and ive gigged it.
-tubes are fine, no need to switch unless your a crazy tone geek.
-it does heat up pretty crazy but it hasnt caused me any problems
-its nice to have, i just leave it on tube rectifier really
-ive got the combo and i just leave that in the middle and mess with the eq, its got pretty br00t4lz distortion as it is.
-dont have the fs either dunno.
-i love the b-52 its a great hard/rock metal tube amp at an affordable price, with surprisingly nice cleans.

mines fine, 2 year warranty sounds awesome and 500 is a good price.
I think I'm going to pick it up on Thursday and hopefully get some clips recorded somehow. I have a line in on my computer.

Is it loud enough? Lol funny joke. I noticed on the head version they had for display (which I don't think I'm going to buy) it had one of the ax7 tubes (I believe ) and it had no light on it. Does that mean that it was a bad tube?

And if so, I should just check the back of the combo right and make sure they all go on?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
I think I'm going to pick it up on Thursday and hopefully get some clips recorded somehow. I have a line in on my computer.

Is it loud enough? Lol funny joke. I noticed on the head version they had for display (which I don't think I'm going to buy) it had one of the ax7 tubes (I believe ) and it had no light on it. Does that mean that it was a bad tube?

And if so, I should just check the back of the combo right and make sure they all go on?

lol 100w of tube is hilarious .
not sure never had that problem (didnt know it had tube warning lights although my jcm does) my standby light is broken (led to much lulz at a gig) so it may just be the light tbh.
Quote by stephen_rettie
lol 100w of tube is hilarious .
not sure never had that problem (didnt know it had tube warning lights although my jcm does) my standby light is broken (led to much lulz at a gig) so it may just be the light tbh.

Well I mean like, it looks to be preamp v1 and the other tubes are shining bright, but this one is just sitting there all dark.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
If it's totally dark there is probably a problem with the tube. If it's V1 then the amp probably wouldn't make very much sound at all. If the amp sounds fine there probably isn't a problem.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well regardless, I can't really afford the head combo version. Although I'd like to lol. However its a bit out of price range.

Maybe one day I'll save up and get a nice vader or an old school 60's marshall 4x12 for whatever amp head I'm using at that time.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Any other happy b-52 owners?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
I have the 212 combo. my stock 12ax7 tubes were all Russian made Electro Harmonix, except for the FX loop tube (which was made in china). the four power tubes were all russian sovteks, as well as the rectifier. **one very important note: the tubes are cathode biased in the two tube rectifier modes (so bias can't be adjusted), and solid state mode, the bias MUST be adjusted! I learned the hard way, and a resistor burned out, because my bias was set too hot and I used the solid state rectifier.
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
To answer all your question, B52 is NOT a guitar center brand. B52 has been making products for a while now and just recently got into guitar amplifiers. The AT212 is the best amp that you will find for the money. I have mine connected to a 2x12 egnater tourmaster cab and it sounds phenomenal. As far as tubes go, I dont feel comfortable playing a tube amp with tubes that have been sitting at guitar center with 10 year old dimebag darrels craking it up to ten. Therefore when I bought mine, I had my guitar tech do a complete tube overhall. Also, what year is yours from. Some of the older models have had overheating problems due to the cooling system failing. My guitar tech and i sat down and drew up plans for a new tube cooling system and he is actually working on getting it patteneted. I hope all this informaation was useful and you will LOVE your AT212, as long as you use it right =].
hey if you make a tube cooling system, i'd buy it. mine doesnt have a fan or anything
Guitars:

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
Palomino V16...dead
Kasso, if yours does not have a fan, you can call B52 and they will send you a fan kit free. All you have to tell them is your serial number.
Tube cooling system? You mean a fan?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Hey I bet a fan does some good work.

Well I'm gonna just see how the thing works. Who knows. Although it seems as though nobody has really played on it. As in at the guitar center.

I'll see tomorrow when I buy it
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Nov 19, 2008,
Any other thoughts?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Kasso, if yours does not have a fan, you can call B52 and they will send you a fan kit free. All you have to tell them is your serial number.

i always get a little worried after jamming on my at-100 for a while. that things gets super hot.
tell me more of this fan kit.
mine doesn't get that hot. I hear the fan whirring around in there, nothing serious. I've played it in excess of 4 hours straight and nothing very noticable. It just gets warm to the touch.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
mine doesn't get that hot. I hear the fan whirring around in there, nothing serious. I've played it in excess of 4 hours straight and nothing very noticable. It just gets warm to the touch.

Yours Has a fan??
GEAR
Schecter Tempest Custom
B-52 AT-100
Mesa 2x12
Korg Pitchblack
Boss NS-2
BBE Green Screamer
Line 6 DL4
Quote by mindstealer

good to know, but i havent decided if i am going get this thing fixed. all the places i call up around me never even heard of B52 and it's probably going to need a lot more than a bias, because i've put up to a 3watt resistor to replace the burned out one and it still burns out after about a second.
Guitars:

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
Palomino V16...dead
why does the bassist have so many pedals and rack effects. Thats silly. You're a bassist.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Quote by woodsballplayer
why does the bassist have so many pedals and rack effects. Thats silly. You're a bassist.

what?
Guitars:

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
Palomino V16...dead
Quote by intoodeep4182
Yours Has a fan??

Yep.

Quote by woodsballplayer

wat

EDIT: I think thats like a veiled insult directed towards me liking tool lol.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Well I mean like, it looks to be preamp v1 and the other tubes are shining bright, but this one is just sitting there all dark.

Mine has the same little dark tube. If I had to guess, I would say its the effects loop tube (I think it has one hehehe). I'm gonna run some effects through it later and prove my guess....

I love my B52, though. Its been great and I rehearse and gig it all the time.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by woodsballplayer

Are you stupid? Why not have all the effects? If you want them and can afford them, buy them.
Keeping it real since '92