Has anyone actually bought from them? If so, what have your experiences with them been?

I'm tentative from custom-making my guitar there because I have heard that the sound quality can be poor and the action is terrible. They may be lemons. I'm also tentative because I haven't played the guitar I want, so I may end up with my dream guitar or a POS. And I have read that they are great guitars.

I have been looking at the DC145 (HSH). Alder body, maple neck. Green Quilted Maple top. The highest output pickup in the bridge and the standard in the neck position and middle position. Phase switch and coil splitters. Hardtail bridge w/ string savers. If you disagree with this set up, please say something.

This is a huge step for me, so I would like advice. And yes, I used the searchbar and looked at that other Carvin thread on the first page.

And if you are wondering, I play classic rock, metal, blues, and every other variation of rock in between.

All else fails, I'll get a a Schecter Stiletto Classic.

Wow, this thread is really going strong.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
Last edited by ferretface at Nov 18, 2008,
I have a DC 127 (that might be an airplane, so if that isn't a guitar let me know and I'll go look at the paperwork when I'm home for Thanksgiving). Everyone who plays my guitar is jealous that its mine, not theirs.

I believe you can return the guitar within a few days if you don't like it since you don't get a chance to hear or play it before buying it.
I have two Carvin's presently. Great company to deal with for me. As for sound quality I have never heard a bad thing other than about their pickups. You either will love them or hate them. I love them, personally. As far as action. . . One of the selling points for me years ago was the low action. I can't remember but they used to have a guarantee of 1/16 (something like that) on their necks. Their necks are known for extremely low action (or ability of it) becase of their outstanding fretwork from the factory.

As for what you want bro. . .that's on you. I won't disagree.

There is a return period. Call'em up and talk to a rep. Can't hurt.

I would buy another one in a minute. . . if I had the $$$ for the one I want. . . but I don't. . . . yet. . .

'86 Carvin V220
'92 Carvin DC135c
'06 Fender Strat MIM w/Carvin AP11's
'08 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone LTD ED. SG w/EMG 81/85
Schecter Damien FR
'08 Ibanez Prestige RG2610E
'04 Carvin CT4M
'91 Jackson Professional Stealth Pro

Yeah, I didn't mention the pickups. The action on my guitar is amazing and I've never played anything like in in the 10ish years I've played. However, I don't like the clean sound. The guitar sounds great unplugged and distorted, but not so great when played clean through my amp. My amp is good and I recall my electric-acoustic sounding good through it (but it's a Taylor...of course it sounds good!), so I think it's my pickups. The worst case scenario is that you dislike the pickups, buy some new pups for maybe $200, and still don't spend the $1800 you'd spend for a similar quality guitar from a store, more like $700-$800, maybe $1000 if you really splurge with crazy finishes or inlays or real expensive pickups.

I should note that Carvins are or at least have been sold new in California stores; Carvin is based in CA, and their store prices are in the $1500-$2000 range, but about half that online. I like paying $750 for something that would normally cost $1750 (that's the mean of my interval).
I was a bit skeptical at first but when I received mine I fell in love with it. The action was nothing short of amazing, right out of the box to. For 1100 bucks, I could never find another guitar with a neck through build , ebony board, stainless steel frets(which I HIGHLY reccomend), gorgeous finish, and such an awesome set up. I've played 2000 dollar ESPs and Gibsons that werent as nice as it.

Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Last edited by bean-o at Nov 19, 2008,
To that guy above me, that guitar is sex.

I have decided to go with Carvin. However, I'm having trouble picking my pups. I think I may go with a M22SD (the highest output) in the bridge, but I have no clue what I am going to put into to neck position. Does anyone have an opinion on the pickup they used? Also, I don't know if I want to replace the single in the middle with a Twinblade.

Thanks for the input.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
OK, I think I have decided to get the TBH pup in the middle.

What would be a good body and neck wood to use? If you can't tell, I am trying to make this guitar very versatile and I don't want to pick a wood that is too biased to one type of sound.

And by the way, I want a really clean, bluesy pickup for the neck position.

I decided to ditch the quilted top and get a locking FR.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
I didn't end up buying, but i did talk to one of their reps on the phone and they have really top-notch customer service. Answered all my questions very well. I almost regret not saving up that extra bit of money to get it, but extra time to save + the build time is not something im patient enough for
That's good, because I plan on talking with them before I purchase just to go over all of the little details.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
Fortunately I live and work pretty close to their Santa Ana, CA store so I've had a chance to "lay hands on" some of their guitars. While I don't own one, they are high up on my GAS wish list. If I had unlimited space in my place and deeper pockets I would probably already own one.
Quote by ferretface
To that guy above me, that guitar is sex.

I have decided to go with Carvin. However, I'm having trouble picking my pups. I think I may go with a M22SD (the highest output) in the bridge, but I have no clue what I am going to put into to neck position. Does anyone have an opinion on the pickup they used? Also, I don't know if I want to replace the single in the middle with a Twinblade.

Thanks for the input.

What amp do you have? An any case, I'd just get the standard pickups, C22's I think they are. If you don't like them, a set of DiMarzio's is >$200.
Well, today I ordered my guitar via phone. Final specs if you care:

Alder neck/mahogany body
Blueburst
FR with locking nut
Standard C22's
replaced AP11 with a TBH
coil splitters
phase switch
straplocks
tweed case
engraved truss rod cover
black inline headstock w/ white logo
everything else was standard. I'm probably missing something, but it's 1 AM and my head is fried from playing Fallout 3.

And which one's pink, I have a Kustom 30W hybrid, but I rely heavily on my pedals.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
Last edited by ferretface at Nov 23, 2008,
Quote by ferretface
All else fails, I'll get a a Schecter Stiletto Classic.

You, sir, have fine taste. The Stilleto is the sexiest thing in Schecter's lineup.

But good choice on the Carvin. I've never bought one, though I may as part of my hopefully imminent gear overhaul, and I've played several of their guitars and amps. I've always been impressed.
Quote by Flying Couch
You, sir, have fine taste. The Stilleto is the sexiest thing in Schecter's lineup.

But good choice on the Carvin. I've never bought one, though I may as part of my hopefully imminent gear overhaul, and I've played several of their guitars and amps. I've always been impressed.

For $1000, it better be a sexy guitar.

I can't wait. I may not get it by Christmas, but it's worth the wait.

And BTW, their customer service is stellar from what I have seen so far.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
Carvin = specs but don't = playability. Many people can't tell the difference between a solid guitar and a great guitar. Carvin makes very solid guitars but nothing that blows most professional musicians away. In my experience they have been fine. I'd much rather have a Fender Tele or Fender Strat (MIJ or MIA) then a Carvin. I own a Gibson V which has blown every Carvin I have played out of the water. They are fine, but you can find better for the same price.
I have had numerous Carvin's 5-6 only have one now, but I have never had any problems with them. They build great guitars equal to instruments 2-3 times the price. Call and speak to Kevin Wall, he is great to deal with.
Best decision I ever made was to buy my DC-127 sight unseen and unplayed. It was tough to do but definitely worth it.

Get the stainless frets.