I would like to be able to write music in the style of Pink Floyd from Atom Heart Mother backwards. Songs like Astronomy Domine, Careful With That Axe Eugene, Interstellar Overdrive, Nick's Boogie, Arnold Layne, and much of Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother.

I know they utilize a lot of dissonance, organ, pulsing rhythm, and random segments of improvisation, but I just can't seem to... get it right. I can't write decent riffs or interesting ideas, really.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Become Floyd's guitarist.

Devour his soul and make it your own.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Become Floyd's guitarist.

Devour his soul and make it your own.

So re-animate the corpse of Syd Barrett and steal his soul? Then kill him again?
you cant just, want to sound like pink floyd back when they had barret. you just do. and you cant try too hard to sound like that, cuz then you'll come off as if you're trying too hard. the thing about pink floyd, they just do it and thats what comes out. they dont say okay now we're going to have an improvisation part, they just do it and then the song is made.
/mini rant haha

EDIT: refer to the post above mine. he pretty much sums it up hahah xD
use a ouija board and contact syd barrett. or take a lot of acid. your choice.
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
Quote by metal Lover
So re-animate the corpse of Syd Barrett and steal his soul? Then kill him again?

That or this kid can develope his own style.

Which would you say is both more valuable and more realistic?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
I'm actually quite good at improv, but I can't seem to come up with a good hook. Such as the beginning of Interstellar Overdrive.
Quote by strat0blaster
That or this kid can develope his own style.

Which would you say is both more valuable and more realistic?

Grow up, man. Don't tell me you've never heard something and said, "I wouldn't mind composing something like that." You can't expect everyone to innovate their own genre.
Quote by metal Lover
Grow up, man. Don't tell me you've never heard something and said, "I wouldn't mind composing something like that." You can't expect everyone to innovate their own genre.

I didn't expect him to innovate his own genre, I said he should probably try to develope his own playing style. Don't tell me to grow up because you took the leap from "find your own voice on an instrument" to "Generate a whole genre unique of everything else."

And no, I've never intentionally tried to create something that sounded just like someone else's because there's already a player like that - the original one.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I didn't expect him to innovate his own genre, I said he should probably try to develope his own playing style. Don't tell me to grow up because you took the leap from "find your own voice on an instrument" to "Generate a whole genre unique of everything else."

And no, I've never intentionally tried to create something that sounded just like someone else's because there's already a player like that - the original one.

I am the TS, by the way.

You didn't say "find your own voice on an instrument," you said "this kid can develope his own style."
Yeah, I know you're the TS, and "find your own voice" and "develope your own playing style" = the same thing.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Yeah, I know you're the TS, and "find your own voice" and "develope your own playing style" = the same thing.

When The Beatles came out, every single band wanted to sound like them. I want to play avant garde psychedelic improv, am I not allowed to?
Quote by metal Lover
When The Beatles came out, every single band wanted to sound like them. I want to play avant garde psychedelic improv, am I not allowed to?

You're missing the point, and I'm not going to spell it out for you.

Take what I said however you want - rationalize it to make yourself feel better if you need to, I don't care at this point.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
You're missing the point, and I'm not going to spell it out for you.

Take what I said however you want - rationalize it to make yourself feel better if you need to, I don't care at this point.

What "Develop my own style."? Never heard that one before.

Seems like I need you to spell it out for me.
you shouldn't try to emulate one person. take him in as an influence, but use it to branch out and make it your own.

you don't have to magically create a genre to make something unique.

maybe start by learning a few of his solos or whatever, and writing your own in the same key, or start by playing his but continue adding stuff to it.

and hopefully, you'll find another guitarist or songwriter you'd love to sound like. and you'll mix syd whoever's with his, and suddenly you'll already be on your way to creating something distinct and special.

but this all starts with practicing. learn his solos, and use them as a basis to improvise.
Quote by SilenceEvolves
you shouldn't try to emulate one person. take him in as an influence, but use it to branch out and make it your own.

you don't have to magically create a genre to make something unique.

maybe start by learning a few of his solos or whatever, and writing your own in the same key, or start by playing his but continue adding stuff to it.

and hopefully, you'll find another guitarist or songwriter you'd love to sound like. and you'll mix syd whoever's with his, and suddenly you'll already be on your way to creating something distinct and special.

but this all starts with practicing. learn his solos, and use them as a basis to improvise.

Once again, I'm can improvise in that style fine. I just need more creative hooks and riffs. I hardly only listen to Pink Floyd. Judging by my username, and avatar, I listen to the most primal and minimalistic types of metal primarily. But I'm currently interested in psychedelic and avant garde types of music.

I plan on playing the drums, guitars, bass, and keyboard with this project, and I can improvise with all of these. But you can't just write songs full of jumbled up dissonance. You have to have a hook.