Poll: Is bass necessary in metal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is bass necessary in metal?
Yes
48 92%
No
4 8%
Voters: 52.
I'm sure this thread will be closed, but while its up please vote on whether you think bass is really needed in most forms of metal music. I mean, bass is almost inaudible in most songs and is sometimes mixed out or so I've heard.
*reported*

Clearly they need them, just because you can't hear it doesn't mean the sound would be the same without it.

/thread
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Listen to Opeth with a good set of speakers and a subwoofer.

Just because you can't hear the bass perfectly doesnt mean its not there. It means you've got a bad download or your speakers are poor.

....Or you're listening to "...And Justice For All"
Sounds like someone's never played in a metal band.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
You're an idiot. Just because it's mixed out doesn't mean it's not necessary.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
You're an idiot. Just because it's mixed out doesn't mean it's not necessary.

If it is necessary why mix it out then?
Guitarist ego, "hey look, I'm loud!" mixing processes, and a very stupid audience who doesn't care. Like you.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
*sigh* Again?

No bass = No heavy

Try playing a heavy metal song on a stereo or something that you can control the bass/treble etc. freely and turn down the bass as much as possible. As soon as you do that, I permit you post here again.
Without the low-end, there'd be no heavy. I don't even like metal and I know that.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Bass isn't necessary, in the same sense that guitar, drums and vocals aren't necessary . Would the metal bands you think you can't hear the bass in sound different if it wasn't there at all? Yes.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

I feel stupid for even voting in the pole and typing this reply, THis guy is obviously, like pulling our pissers or something.
The only time I find bass seems pointless in studio heavy metal (ALL live music needs a bass IMHO) is with the 7 string and 8 string guitarists who just totally cover the low end. I am primarily a bassist, but thats my opinion. Listen to Meshuggah, I can't even hear a bass note in there.
of course you need bass, i think it being taken for granted , bass is one of the back bones to any band it fills out the sound and gives that kick to any band as well as bass riffs totaly being catchy
Quote by Anjohl
The only time I find bass seems pointless in studio heavy metal (ALL live music needs a bass IMHO) is with the 7 string and 8 string guitarists who just totally cover the low end. I am primarily a bassist, but thats my opinion. Listen to Meshuggah, I can't even hear a bass note in there.

yeah, That's a good point actually - I really don't see the point in that kind of death metal stuff where everyone's in the low end - the drummer playing a double bass pedal, The "singer" growling, and the guitars all down tuned,
If you ever looked at a spectrogram of music you would understand. (This is also second to being able to actually listen to music of course.) In spectrogram the bass shows up as a very very bright bar at the very low end of the spectrum (usually, there are obviously cases where the bass is playing higher, but in general it will be on the bottom.) The bass drum shows up as a similar bright bar on the bottom, but for very short hits. This is the difference between the drum and the string sound.

Guitars (playing low and distorted) show up as a brighter line (relative term) above the bass line (no matter what) but they also have a distortion "cloud" of sound that ranges well into the high end (no matter what). This cloud almost can not be seen on an undistorted guitar, but when they are not distorted, they are much higher than the bass, usually higher than or right on the vocals.

What does all this mean? It means that no matter what, if you do not have a bass, you do not have a full sound. (In most cases... lets not get into electro)
Quote by h1117
If it is necessary why mix it out then?

why mix it out. surely that would make it pointless recording it in the first place :S
Quote by Micehorns
....Or you're listening to "...And Justice For All"

yeah

i need to download the "and justice for jason" version to learn the bass for it

and if metal bands didnt need a bassist id be out of the job
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>