I'm finding it increasingly hard to try and learn theory. I use a number of different sites and sometimes Youtube. My problem is that I really have a hard time going over lessons again and again. For instance, I think I've done the CAGED lesson about 3 times now. I think another problem is that there's so much to learn I just don't know where to start and how to apply it to guitar.

So my questions are these:

How do you learn your theory?
Where do you start to learn theory?(like beginning at chords, scales, arpeggios etc.)

Thank you so much from a struggling guitarist.
I'm taking an AP music theory class.

We started with basics like intervals and stuff. Learning what all of the intervals looked like written out. Then we learned how to do chords from that. (all of this also had ear training to go with it, musictheory.net is great) We learned major scale, minor scales. Then we started working on like...analyzing progressions. Like say a Bach chorale. What roman numeral are the chords, and such. Then we started learning about tonicization and such. We're into crazy stuff now which I wouldn't want to do without a competent teacher.

I mean it's whatever. Starting with intervals, chords, scales and keys would be good.
Definitely check out musictheory.net they have great lessons and ear trainers.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
To really understand theory you gotta actually get into the classroom, or get an instrument instructor. Im a bassist and i had the same problem trying to get my theory down. It wasnt until i started to do the actual classes in music theory and meet up with a tutor that i actually began understanding theory
yea, the lessons help a LOT, just getting someone to guide/explain to you.

and plus one to intervals
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

Quote by Tier_One
I'm finding it increasingly hard to try and learn theory. I use a number of different sites and sometimes Youtube. My problem is that I really have a hard time going over lessons again and again. For instance, I think I've done the CAGED lesson about 3 times now. I think another problem is that there's so much to learn I just don't know where to start and how to apply it to guitar.

So my questions are these:

How do you learn your theory?
Where do you start to learn theory?(like beginning at chords, scales, arpeggios etc.)

Thank you so much from a struggling guitarist.

Start at the beginning, which is notes - you can't hope to learn any theory if you don't know how to apply it to the guitar, and to do that you need to know where the notes are on the fretboard.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
it's hard to learn on your own because there's such an overwhelming amount of info to learn. THis info needs to be organized into progressive order. SIgn up for a college class, or get a nice, well-organized, book on the topic.

Failing that (but you really should do that), start by learning how to read proper notion in bass and treble clef, then learn what a key signature is and what all the major and minor key signatures are. Once you've done that, return to UG for advince on what to do next. Rinse, wash, repeat.