So I'm interested in applying to Notre Dame, and I was curious about the music scene there. I figured UG would be the most appropriate place to ask.

EDIT: OK, to clarify.

I'm not looking at Notre Dame or any other college for that matter for the music scene. I just enjoy music, and I was curious what Notre Dame was like.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Last edited by algemar at Nov 18, 2008,
I do!

Well...depends what you mean. The South Bend music scene isn't too bad. Umphrey's McGee went to ND and they do a show every year in downtown south bend, which is pretty sweet. There's a few places in the city that play music, although I haven't been to any concerts yet (I'm a freshman).

On campus...you're kinda screwed. There's one music hall and it's mostly used by music majors. Most kids listen to rap or acoustic indie crap. Not a lot of musicians on campus. I do a radio show on the college-owned radio station which is pretty sweet, and a lot of the people involved with that are pretty cool.

There's a thing every thursday called Acousticafe where whiny emo kids get on stage in front of like 30 people and play Jack Johnson/Taking Back Sunday songs. Most of the kids suck pretty bad but if you're talented it's a good time.

On the plus side, we have a nightclub called Legends of Notre Dame where a surprisingly decent amount of bands play. Check out the website to see what bands/people have come...admission is free and stuff, so it's a good deal. There's also a big concert at the beginning of every year, but this year it was Good Charlotte, if that gives you any indication of the general quality, haha.

Bottom line: if you're looking for a great music scene, I'd go elsewhere, but if you're really into music, there are ways to get involved with stuff involving music in one form or another. And of course the positives of the school far outweigh the negatives about the music scene. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about applying or the music scene or whatever.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
If you want a good music scene you should be looking in Boston or NY.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Wow, that was fast. I was expecting at LEAST 2 pages of spam to be posted before a real answer came up
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by Xiaoxi
If you want a good music scene you should be looking in Boston or NY.

I mean... I'm not choosing the college for the music scene. Music is just one of those things that would be an added plus.

If I had to choose between Notre Dame and Boston Community College, I would definitely choose Notre Dame.

EDIT: Thanks a bunch LedZeppelin.

I actually have some other questions if you don't mind. How's the rock scene? Specifically say... Classic Rock or Hard Rock.

I was looking at the Legends Night Club site and I noticed that most of their performers tend to be almost more of an acoustic nature, nothing loud. I have nothing against that kind of music, just curious.

Also, am I making a correct assumption when I say that since Notre Dame is a catholic school, there aren't many say.... Death Metal Bands.(not that I'm interested in finding a death metal band)
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Last edited by algemar at Nov 18, 2008,
Michigan State FTW
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan
Michigan State FTW

Haha I was waiting for that
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Quote by algemar
I mean... I'm not choosing the college for the music scene. Music is just one of those things that would be an added plus.

If I had to choose between Notre Dame and Boston Community College, I would definitely choose Notre Dame.

EDIT: Thanks a bunch LedZeppelin.

I actually have some other questions if you don't mind. How's the rock scene? Specifically say... Classic Rock or Hard Rock.

I was looking at the Legends Night Club site and I noticed that most of their performers tend to be almost more of an acoustic nature, nothing loud. I have nothing against that kind of music, just curious.

Also, am I making a correct assumption when I say that since Notre Dame is a catholic school, there aren't many say.... Death Metal Bands.(not that I'm interested in finding a death metal band)

Hey, if you have a shot at Notre Dame, then you probably have a shot at MIT, Harvard, Boston University, Columbia, NYU...
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

More like Notre Lame.

BOSTON COLLEGE!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
Quote by zippidyduda
Hey, if you have a shot at Notre Dame, then you probably have a shot at MIT, Harvard, Boston University, Columbia, NYU...

Hm.... MIT and Harvard?
BU and NYU perhaps, Columbia...ehhhh.

I'm only slightly smart, not Asian smart. Apparently I did not inherit those genes.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Quote by djrue211
More like Notre Lame.

BOSTON COLLEGE!

Damn you, Champs Sports Bowl... But Detroit Tigers FTW! Disappointing season this year to say the least
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by algemar

...but you would choose ND over Boston U, MIT, Harvard, Northeastern, UMass? Yea that's what I thought.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by algemar
Hm.... MIT and Harvard?
BU and NYU perhaps, Columbia...ehhhh.

I'm only slightly smart, not Asian smart. Apparently I did not inherit those genes.

BU and NYU are PERFECT for slightly smart people!

Ill sign you up
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

I thought you meant the island in the middle of Paris with the church and I was excited because I used to live there....

Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by msuspartan
Damn you, Champs Sports Bowl... But Detroit Tigers FTW! Disappointing season this year to say the least

Haha yeah man. That was actually a tough game for me, cuz my dad went to MSU and I've been an Spartan fan all my life. Still am though for real. Root them them all the time when they don't play BC. Big game this weekend against JoPa and them Nittany Lions. And oh yeah, Tigers FTW!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
Uhhh TS.... If you want a good music scene. You should look at University of Washington's Seattle Campus.

Also... MSU FTW! My dad went there, and I used to live in Michigan! Were doing pretty damn good this year. Hopefully Izzo and the basketball team can keep it up.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by djrue211
Haha yeah man. That was actually a tough game for me, cuz my dad went to MSU and I've been an Spartan fan all my life. Still am though for real. Root them them all the time when they don't play BC. Big game this weekend against JoPa and them Nittany Lions. And oh yeah, Tigers FTW!

Yeah for real, it's gonna be tough against the white out, and the possibility of it being Joe's last home game. But if my Spartans can pull it out, we're definitely looking at a shot at the Rose Bowl, or at the very least a New Year's Day game.

Me living in Southern Georgia, I love the possibility of playing the *mighty* UGA Bulldogs in a bowl game.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by zippidyduda
BU and NYU are PERFECT for slightly smart people!

Ill sign you up

Haha I appreciate that.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

I'm a freshman at Notre Dame dude you should definately apply!!!! As far as the music scene goes, its pretty damn dead in my honest opinion. No real concerts in the surrounding area or anything because South Bend is a complete ****hole.

BUT

Chicago is only a little over an hour away, and chicago is damn ****ing sweet. Music scene is amazing there being a big city and all. Theres a train that leaves straight outta the South Bend airport, which is about 5 minutes from campus. Or you could drive after freshman year. Anyway, its a great school I highly recommend
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.

"I am Jack's complete lack of suprise"