I was playing for a good half hour today when tragedy struck.
I had just finished tuning back to standard from Drop D, and I did a downstroke with a pick and my low E string popped out of the nut on my Aerodyne Jazz bass. I put it back into place of course and kept playing. Not a minute later, the string pops out again. I tested it with an heavy upstroke and nothing. Nothing with fingerstyle either. Only with casual pick downstrokes.

It looks like the nut may have chipped a little from the first time the string popped out. But I'll never find the chip (if it even did happen) buried in ivory carpeting. I think I may need to get a new nut made. How much do you anticipate this will cost?
well... I dont know how much it runs for bass but last time I had my low E side of the nut on my jackson snap, I payed about 50 for a new graphite nut to be grinded and put in place.
when i first read the title i thought you were having testicle surgery haha. (that wouldn't be funny though, but since its not the case its funny). anyway i have no idea. it will cost money $
American Fender Strat

Taylor 314CE

Quote by pbiggie
this guy speaks truth
Quote by Micehorns
£3 for a nut, £5 for a set of files. 20 minutes of time.

and unless you really know what your doing, dont do it. This is a good way to really screw up any chances of you setting up your guitars properly
Quote by Rockawocka
and unless you really know what your doing, dont do it. This is a good way to really screw up any chances of you intonating your guitars properly

If you learn now, you don't have to pay the silly prices guitar techs charge.

Sorry if my answer was a little blunt, but just google it and read through what to do (there's an archive of a thread from UG that helps you). It will save you money and gives you confidence to do it again.
yeah that is true, it's a VEEERRRRY nice thing to learn. But I'd always make sure I had experience before I tried it on any of my guitars
I don't think I would be able to file one myself.
I did have testicle surgery, but that's besides the point.
Quote by Mecler

Prices will be different everywhere you look, even in the same city. Get a phone book, phone up all the luthiers and guitar techs (The big companies always have them in the store) and work out which would save you the most money. They will all know how to do it.
Quote by Mecler

they removed them because he was a leading cause of overpopulation.

if you go slow, it's easy. I haven't done a nut, but I have filed. it takes little skill.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
they removed them because he was a leading cause of overpopulation.

if you go slow, it's easy. I haven't done a nut, but I have filed. it takes little skill.

Yeah, just go in alphabetical order by artist then album then....Oh, not that kind of filing

Yeah, i dunno, you need to get some quotes.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Buy... a... slotted... nut... off... eBay......?

And you have ivory carpeting? Christ, how much did that cost?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ivory carpeting, painful?

Also, get it done proffesionally, my friend tried to do it himself but he overfiled and yeah D:

Also, how does that aerodyne play? I've been GASing over one.
i have the same thing, but with my A string. I changed my strings the other day and ever since my A strings keeps popping out the nut. really annoying. no change in the nut. i am gonna file it down a little to see if it stays in.
Quote by thefitz
Buy... a... slotted... nut... off... eBay......?

And you have ivory carpeting? Christ, how much did that cost?

Psst.. Allparts and Stewart MacDonald carry them too. Slotted. And I can't speak for Allparts but if you need help in replacing said bass nut, the helpful folks at StewMac just a phone call away.

And I have never seen so many bad jokes, puns and double entrendres in one thread in my life.
How high up the tuning post is the string? It may be too high up which means the angle over the nut will be shallower so it may be more prone to popping out. Try and get the string near the bottom of the post.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
^ yeah, its at the top. but so are the others and they are OK. i will try and move it down, cheers bro
Quote by indie-bassist
How high up the tuning post is the string? It may be too high up which means the angle over the nut will be shallower so it may be more prone to popping out. Try and get the string near the bottom of the post.

This worked. I adjusted the string placement on each tuning peg and it also eliminated some of the fret fuzz I had on the 1st fret of my A string.

Although I do feel like an idiot because this was such a simple solution.