Hello all,
I've wanted a new electric guitar and amp for some time now, and have researched a few of them and tried out a few in George's Music (music shop near here) and found one combination I LOVE... but I want to know everyone's opinion.

Ibanez Xiphos XPT700 in Chameleon Blue (or XPT700FX)
Line 6 Spider III 30

the XPT700 has an Edge III whammy setup and (ugh) string locks to stop them from going out of tune or something...

the XPT700FX has no whammy setup and seems a bit smoother playing wise...

The Line 6 amp is just beautiful

Any thoughts? Should I look at a different guitar company? I've no experience with Ibanez... how are they quality and support wise?

Thanks,
Jim
@Swap-Meet: Why's that? It sounds better than my Fender Frontman 15G that came in my strat pack 2.5 years ago...
Quote by jimmio92
@Swap-Meet: Why's that? It sounds better than my Fender Frontman 15G that came in my strat pack 2.5 years ago...

People seem to think they sound too digital...I have no clue how much the 30w goes for, but I'm positive that anything from the Crate V series, will be cheaper and better.

It sounding better than your frontman doesn't mean too much, the cleans on frontmans sound pretty good, but the distortion is pretty fizzy and ****ty.
line 6 amp jsut beautiful? from someone who owns one, its really not. its nice for practicing because i can plug headphones into it at night time and playback audio through it as well, but if your looking for something to actually, you know, play with and sound good... no.

as far as the xiphos, edge III is no good.

edit: to the above, yes they do sound very digital. it sounds "fake" and overly processed to me.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
I practice more on a Line 6 Spider 15 than my other amps. I dont have to deal with pedals or the jumbo pedalbord with my Vox. It's just easier. I see a lot of these guys puttin' down spiders. . . they are just fine for practicing which more guys need to do rather than tellin you you need an awesome amp to play in your room with. It's elitist bull**** that has been going on for longer than I can remember. Someday you'll be able to drop some loot on the perfect amp but learn the craft first. Learnin' on crappy gear makes you appreciate the intricasies of better stuff. If you can make a chinese plywood guitar and a no-name 5 watt amp sound good then just imagine what you'll do with good gear. (I'm a real dick tonight, huh?) Any modelling amp is great for yoy first or second amp. It will give you some idea of what direction, tonally, you want to go in.

'86 Carvin V220
'92 Carvin DC135c
'06 Fender Strat MIM w/Carvin AP11's
'08 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone LTD ED. SG w/EMG 81/85
Schecter Damien FR
'08 Ibanez Prestige RG2610E
'04 Carvin CT4M
'91 Jackson Professional Stealth Pro

Quote by PBI
I practice more on a Line 6 Spider 15 than my other amps. I dont have to deal with pedals or the jumbo pedalbord with my Vox. It's just easier. I see a lot of these guys puttin' down spiders. . . they are just fine for practicing which more guys need to do rather than tellin you you need an awesome amp to play in your room with. It's elitist bull**** that has been going on for longer than I can remember. Someday you'll be able to drop some loot on the perfect amp but learn the craft first. Learnin' on crappy gear makes you appreciate the intricasies of better stuff. If you can make a chinese plywood guitar and a no-name 5 watt amp sound good then just imagine what you'll do with good gear. (I'm a real dick tonight, huh?) Any modelling amp is great for yoy first or second amp. It will give you some idea of what direction, tonally, you want to go in.

QFT
Thanks for your input everyone... I find the Fender Frontman 15G to have great distortion (or that might be because when the power switch went it made a bass port ) and the Line 6 Spider III 30 to have even more balls to it, but I do agree on the factory Insane setting it's a little "digi" sounding...

When I grabbed the XPT700 with the Edge III, it moved so perfectly, easily, effortlessly, I did a whammy with just my hand, no bar needed, and it can go down or up, unlike my crappy first electric (Fender Squier Strat from the Strat Pak a while back)... so I'm still deciding... I think I might just go with the XPT700 as if I don't like the bridge, I can certainly replace it
All 4 channels sound digital. lol
Avoid the Edge III. get the FX version

Edit: Check out Vypyrs, Roland Cubes and maybe Bandits?

They > Spider
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Try the Roland Cube series if you want to get something like a spider with modelled amps and effects on-board. They're much better, imo, and their heavy gain channels don't sound like a tinful of angry bees.
Tinful of angry bees? *Gasp* A Spider's Insane Channel is really a hidden MG Command Center built inside the programming of every Line 6! Warn Obama! Bees are taking over Guitar Center..music is next, and then...the world!
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
had the xiphos xpt700 i just traded it.

I didnt like the trem..no one on here does...it sucks balls
the line 6..to be fair i use one as my peavey is WAAAAAYYY to loud to turn up and sound decent indoors.. so a little bit on that isnt bad, just dont go above volume 3....
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Check my sig.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
If you dont use a trem much i would reccomend just staying away from them all together. And as for the spider, they are an ok practice amp i guess. But for the same price you can get a peavey vypyr, or a roland cube. Both are far superior the to the spider. And if you are just using this amp for bedroom practice, a 15 watt should do you just fine.
As everyone else has said, don't get anything with an Edge 3, and go for a Peavey Vypyr or a Roland cube instead of the Spider. You will be much happier with yourself.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I don't get what the big deal is about the Tremolo... it seems a little too easy to move if anything... And the amp will be fine... My current issue with my 15 watt amp is it being too loud... the band I'm trying to get together uses Roland Electronic drums so their's no reason to be loud... There's just something about the amp I like... simple to use... kinda expensive, but sounds really good...

I'll look at others before making my final decision, thanks all.

-Jim
The spider can be ok at near silent levels but why not go for a better moddeling amp? The vypers seem to be all the rage right now and I find the vox ones to be quite good also.

The problem with the tremolo is that it is made of cheap materials and will wear out quickly, or so I've heard, although mine has worked perfectly for almost a year now. Why not buy a guitar with a better trem to begin with?
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by jimmio92
I don't get what the big deal is about the Tremolo... it seems a little too easy to move if anything... And the amp will be fine... My current issue with my 15 watt amp is it being too loud... the band I'm trying to get together uses Roland Electronic drums so their's no reason to be loud... There's just something about the amp I like... simple to use... kinda expensive, but sounds really good...

I'll look at others before making my final decision, thanks all.

-Jim

Here's the rundown on all tremolos:

+ Extra Tuning Stability
+ Cool Whammy Bar Effects / Divebombs
- Takes A LOT longer to put on strings
- If you break a string, all go out of tune (exception: ZR trem)
- Basically, more work to mantain

The Edge III has the extra con that it is made with crappy materials and won't last more than a year or two, even if you take good care of it. Fortunately, it does swap for an OFR, so when your Edge III dies just take it out, buy an OFR and stick it in.

As far as the amp goes, get a Roland Cube 30X.
Quote by jimmio92
Thanks for your input everyone... I find the Fender Frontman 15G to have great distortion (or that might be because when the power switch went it made a bass port ) and the Line 6 Spider III 30 to have even more balls to it, but I do agree on the factory Insane setting it's a little "digi" sounding...

When I grabbed the XPT700 with the Edge III, it moved so perfectly, easily, effortlessly, I did a whammy with just my hand, no bar needed, and it can go down or up, unlike my crappy first electric (Fender Squier Strat from the Strat Pak a while back)... so I'm still deciding... I think I might just go with the XPT700 as if I don't like the bridge, I can certainly replace it

If you buy the spider you'll probably love it for maybe half a year or so. Then you'll start realizing that you've wasted your money.
If you want a modeler, go with a Peavy Vypyr, same concept as the spider but it sounds a lot better, I'm not going to tell you, hey go buy a tube amp! IF you want a modeler thats okay, just get a good one.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab