Pretty much what the title describes. I'm mostly looking for good clean jazz settings for small solo gigs and enough punch with distortion to jam with my friends. I will be playing it with a Gibson SG with 490s. Thanks.
SG Special Faded
I have the amp. It has pretty nice cleans, and on the 30W setting, plenty of headroom for a gig. The gain is voiced to be orientated towards blues or classic rock, but you can get some nice overdrive if you push it hard. It's switchable between 15/30 watts, so if you're looking for that nice breakup, you can put it on the 15w setting and push it a bit harder. If you need more drive, you could always add an overdrive pedal to push the amp into heavier territory.

General consensus seems to be (and this is just hearsay, I haven't done this) that the amp is much improved by a change in tubes. The stock tubes (Sovteks, I think) are fairly unremarkable, but they seem to last forever.

All in all, I think it would be a fairly good choice for what you want. I would probably factor in the price of a re-tubing into your budget too.

Is there anything in particular you would like to know?
i tried the grainger version (sound control's rebranded blues custom). my concern would be that i'm not sure if the cleans were really what you'd call "jazzy"... they're very warm, but not really jazzy. could be wrong though, i didn't play with it for that long...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've played it. It's a very good amp. The cleans are warm, rich, and full. I don't really play jazz so I can't say how well it will do for you but it is a decent amp. Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I was very impressed with it. In fact if I did any type of music at all that would benefit from it I would try to justify getting one. The voicing is kind of dark, and the cleans are very dense. I really liked it's "slightly broken up" tones. I didn't really crank it at all...didn't need to.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
To be honest, this would be my first good amp, and I have almost no knowledge of amps. I would probably be getting this around Christmas, because I'm broke as hell right now. I was kind of hoping that it would be a cheaper alternative to an AC30. How does it compare to an AC30? Also, I know it is apples to oranges, but how does it compare to a Line 6 Spider 2?
SG Special Faded
^its not the same.

I dont think you can really compare any other amp to an AC30, other than another AC30 from another decade.

Unless its a laney or JMI.
yeah, i guess it might compare a little to the non-top-boost channel of a vox, but it's very dark and dense-sounding, as THEKID says. a laney vc30 (if you're in the UK) is probably closer to a vox ac30, but it's not exactly the same either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how would this amp compare to a peavey classic 30 or a laney vc30

i want like, classic rock/blues/punk/ alittle reggae - e.g. the who/the clash

i like the price of this amp compared to the others but no were near me sells them
so i cant try one out.

thanks
i'd put it as bottom of those 3, though i'd have to try all three head to head to be sure. also depends on the tone you're after, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What would be a good comparison for the BC? Just something to compare it to in guitar center.
SG Special Faded
I like the amp a lot. Sounds very nice. I'm not sure how the cleans would do for jazz but it's not a high gain amp. So keep that in mind for jamming with your friends
The Blues Custom 30 is a KILLER amp. One of my favorites, personally. I almost bought one a few months ago.

I enjoy the darker, warmer voicing, personally. I think you could pull a great Jim Hall tone from it.

As far as comparing it to other amps, it really sounds like an old Gibson amp. So, about a cross between an ampeg and a tweed fender, but not really.