Our bassist just bought a new Ashdown bass amp. The thing has two inputs - high and low. I've only ever seen this on bass amps before (I play electric) so was wondering what the difference is between high and low?
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
high is for passive
low is for active

i think

what bass does he have?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
High will send the signal straight through

Low will -12db?

or, something along those lines...

its so your active pickups/pre-amps don't send too much through the head.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
She's got a Warwick Rockbass 4 string I think - has passive pickups. So she should plug into the "high" input then?
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
yeh that would be right

is she hot?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
yeh that would be right

is she hot?

LOL knew that would be the next question... yes
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
pics or its not true

ok i better stop before i get a warning
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
pics or its not true

Dude... She plays Bass...

Of course she is.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by sonsie
pics or its not true

this is the bass forum, not the pit
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
hahaha
i hear there's a bit of a discussion about me going on here? haha :-P
well you going to give us a pic or just sit there laughing?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I actually have a related question - when you have "active" and "passive" inputs, can you plug in any high output signal, like from a digital pedal etc, Into the "active" socket, just to get a more easy-to-control signal ?

the reason I'm asking is My bass is wired with the pickup going straight to the jack, Which makes it really loud - Is it OK to plug it Into the "active" socket?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The active input is really just a -10dB pad. There's nothing special about it other than that, so if you have something you want to ease up with a little bit, it'll work fine.

thanks jazz rock feel i had a feeling it would be, but I thought there might be some problem with impedences - I don't really understand impedences properly yet, I need to read up on it I think.
My amp has the same (TNT 150). High input means the sound gets a gain boost (Read manual for specs) and the low is normal.

Knowing its an Ashdown, the bass and treble boosts come from switches 'Bright' and 'Deep' (I think thats the correct words printed, could be something else but its the same thing).

Don't get caught up with an active and passive bass.......There are 'active' inputs and 'passive' inputs. The active input bypasses the EQ on the amp and passive doesn't.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Last edited by pandathe3 at Nov 19, 2008,
Hm, I thought "High" meant "This is for a high output (active) bass" and "Low" meant "Low output passives go here". I guess I should have looked into it.
Quote by pandathe3
My amp has the same (TNT 150). High input means the sound gets a gain boost (Read manual for specs) and the low is normal.

Knowing its an Ashdown, the bass and treble boosts come from switches 'Bright' and 'Deep' (I think thats the correct words printed, could be something else but its the same thing).

Don't get caught up with an active and passive bass.......There are 'active' inputs and 'passive' inputs. The active input bypasses the EQ on the amp and passive doesn't.

The active input on my amp doesn't bypass the EQ and I have an Ashdown... :/

And I generally thought:

High: Passive - As the electronics and stuff don't have a battery to run them
Low: Active - Electronics have a battery to do stuff so less power is needed?

But really, just use the one that you think gives off a better tone! If you have an active and the high output gives you the tone you want... USE IT! and Vice-versa.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
High/Low is just how the manufacturer words it. I've seen it both ways. As for Active/Passive inputs being EQ in/EQ out, that's not true. Generally there's an EQ in/out button that allows for you to do that that doesn't have anything to do with the active/passive inputs.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
High/Low is just how the manufacturer words it. I've seen it both ways. As for Active/Passive inputs being EQ in/EQ out, that's not true. Generally there's an EQ in/out button that allows for you to do that that doesn't have anything to do with the active/passive inputs.

That makes sense because not all active basses have amazing EQ controls.