Hey guys im new here and was wondering if this guitar is suitable to play Metal/Alternative/Hardcore (From slipknot to chili peppers). Jim Root uses a tele but he has a different set up (pickups? im not really sure what really changes a guitars sounds that why im asking).

A telecaster isn't my final decision for my first guitar and im open to suggestions for an alternate guitar that can do the job for under $250.
For metal you'd be wanting an ibanez or jackson but With my strat i can get a decent metal sound using the bridge pickup. Maybe an epiphone SG or LP100.
No telecaster for sure unless it is the jim root signature. way too jangly tone. Epiphone SG or Les Paul would be a good start.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
throw in a single coil made for higher gain stuff in the bridge and your good to go

ive seen pleanty of people use teles stock an get a good decent metal/hardcore tone
Of course a Tele would work, but it's all in the pick-ups, effects, and amp, man. Tele's have a great feel, so put some metal pups in there, get the right effect settings, and a knarly amp and you'll be a metal dude with great feel (like Jim Root). Good luck!
Quote by cromthereaper
throw in a single coil made for higher gain stuff in the bridge and your good to go

ive seen pleanty of people use teles stock an get a good decent metal/hardcore tone

but it's his first guitar, i don't think its a good time to start changing pickups lol. find a used G-400, that should suit you well.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
No telecaster for sure unless it is the jim root signature. way too jangly tone. Epiphone SG or Les Paul would be a good start.

J5 tele or the 72 deluxe don't have too jangly of a sound.
Gibson-only guys never think Fenders can work for anything heavy. But...they are very wrong! Fenders can work for ANYTHING. Don't get me wrong, I love Gibson's (I have a Les Paul and I love it), but Fenders have a magical feel to them. They are both amazing guitars!
Thanks for all the input guys..

For some backstory i've wanted an SG looking guitar for my first for a while but ever since I got a reccommendation and I remember seeing a tele in the psychosocial video I fell in love. Another reason I switched looks to the tele is that I just can't see Sublime or Clapton being played on an SG.. Les Pauls are just not up my alley, even if it is just a starter guitar.

Thanks for the idea crom but im nowhere near knowing what do with all the gimmicks on an electric other than how to change strings and use amps/effects. Necro, your right it's a lil too early haha. And Tommy that's a little too much money man..
Haha cheers B-rock but i've heard so much that fender/squiers can't do the job.. Whats up with that?
I'm not a gibson guy at all, I'm a jackson, Esp/LTD, Schecter kinda guy. Of course with the right amp you can get a brutal tone with any guitar. It's just not what a tele is intended for.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I was in the market for a ESP Viper 50 for the longest time Necro, im going to look through some of those brands again.. Got a favorite model in mind?
Quote by kn0tty91
I was in the market for a ESP Viper 50 for the longest time Necro, im going to look through some of those brands again.. Got a favorite model in mind?

well for the cheaper priced guitars jackson and esp/ltd aren't very good. Schecter makes some good low priced guitars. Check out the omen 6. $299 and really versatile.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Omen-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=518181

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
That is a beast looking guitar.. Favorited it and looking back and forth with the epiphone G-310. If I make a decision tonight i'll repost. Thanks for all the help so far guys!
Quote by kn0tty91
Thanks for all the input guys..

For some backstory i've wanted an SG looking guitar for my first for a while but ever since I got a reccommendation and I remember seeing a tele in the psychosocial video I fell in love. Another reason I switched looks to the tele is that I just can't see Sublime or Clapton being played on an SG.. Les Pauls are just not up my alley, even if it is just a starter guitar.

Thanks for the idea crom but im nowhere near knowing what do with all the gimmicks on an electric other than how to change strings and use amps/effects. Necro, your right it's a lil too early haha. And Tommy that's a little too much money man..

maybe you should look at a low end ibanez then. They'll get heavy and bradley from sublime played them.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120