So I'm auditioning for a band this weekend and they want me to add a guitar part to one of their originals. Now I haven't heard this song yet and I'm gonna have to do it on the day. I have no experience in improv... Any tips in creating a nice sounding guitar part?
Quote by msuspartan
Only the pit can turn a thread about auditioning for a Christian band, to having sexual experiences while eating a banana. Bravo pit, Bravo.
Figure out the chords and play them differently. Odd inversions, maybe the occasional seventh or ninth, maybe high up on the neck à la Frusciante. That is assuming you're auditioning for a second guitar. If you need to put a riff in, find the scale, stick to it, and bend when you're not sure what note to play.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
Is there any way of doing without scales and all that?
Quote by msuspartan
Only the pit can turn a thread about auditioning for a Christian band, to having sexual experiences while eating a banana. Bravo pit, Bravo.
Figure out the chords and arpeggiate erratically, maybe throw in some phasing or flanging if the song is asking for it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

i'd say your screwed... i'd do what MmmCesium said- stick to the scales... if they have the bass line recorded then ask the bassist what notes he plays and play the same note power chords.
How do I figure out the scale without knowing the song? It would help if I knew scales as well. Oh dear.....

I like the power chord idea.
Quote by msuspartan
Learn theory, that will solve all your problems.

Start here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=the+crusade&w=columns
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It would be rather difficult to learn everything in such a short time, but if you figure out the chords and the band you're auditioning for aren't a bunch of fools who intentionally put odd chords in there just to throw people off, then you can figure out the scale by what notes are in the chords. Takes me about ten seconds unless the song is really strange. And unless it's between you and a binobo, chances are power chords won't get you in a band.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by Bazilisck311

Last edited by MmmCesium at Nov 19, 2008,