I'm going to buy a new amp this christmas... here's the deal. the wish list.

preferably tube or good amp modeling with the essential effects (delay and reverb)
tap trem would be nice.

I play everything from metal to Joe Walsh

I live in a rural area and don't have the luxury of sampling amps very often, but I've been playing and recording for 4 years through a fender champion 300 and I'm sick of striving for a good hi-gain sound from it, because it probably ain't happening. it's amazing clean, but noisy and sterile distorted.. and i'm sick of it!

I'm not looking for an amp with an amazing clean channel, my fender amp and acoustic guitars have that department thoroughly covered.

I'm asking anyone with good experience for suggestions... not "my friend/I have so and so and I like it so buy it!" I'm really looking for good advice.

So far my favorite choices are:

Vox VT30(probably the 50 but it isn't around yet)
Roland Cube 30x
Roland Cube 60
Peavey Vypyr 75
Crate V50
I'm open to others - these choices are mostly based on a few internet searches..

For the record I mostly play an Ibanez Xiphos, all stock.

I have tried the vt30 and like it quite a bit.. but one amp isn't enough to decide on.
I am aware that all of these are possibly great options, but everything's got some pro's and con's. I think a 1-12 is perfect for my setting.

please hit me with some knowledge and suggestions! help me narrow down this list to a couple amps. I can make a final decision, I just have no experience with most of these! Explaining differences in the tone/effects quality etc. would be more helpful in swaying my opinion than just a simple answer to my problems. Thank's UG in advance!
Last edited by SaoSurvive at Nov 19, 2008,
Cubes, Valvetronix and Vypyrs are generally pretty good modelling (built in effects) amps (you'll get that response a lot here) but the effects are digital so that may suck some tone, but these amps are generally pretty good with that, although if you are looking for a more natural sounding distortion, you could go with a smaller tube amp (15watt) and add an OD (TS9/808 or bad monkey) to get more metal tones
The cubes and vypyrs out of those are the best for higher gain stuff, so if you have a clean amp i'd go with either of those.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I recently bought a Vypyr 15 and was impressed with it for such a cheap little amp.
i would like to keep it less than 400 dollars, but i would go higher if it's necessary

EDIT: I'm thinking about getting an OD pedal like a TS9 or something.. and still looking at a vox, a roland, or vypyr.. I'll check out some reviews and videos and see if i can find a place to try em out
there's not much point in getting a tube screamer when your amp doesn't have power tubes.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
can i get some suggestions for an all tube amp that has reverb and delay if that exists?
Not too many tube (all tube) amps come with the effects you want. Reverb and tremolo is about it. No metal amp I can thing of has tremolo, but maybe. You may be better off with a modeler if the effects are that important. Otherwise I'd say try a VK and see what you think too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I could live with just reverb thanks for the input i'll check out the valve kings as well

still deciding....
peavey vk 112 w/ tube screamer (probably least versatile but better metal tones) this is the highest price i can afford i'm still not sure i can afford it without waiting til feb

now with these
vox vt's
roland cube
peavey vypyr
is there a pedal i could use thru them to get a little more versatility in the hi-gain area while having the benefit of their other sounds? this is what i would like to do probably
if you just want a SS amp, the vyper and the cube are both great, ive played each in GC for about an hour.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
You could go for the new tube-powered Vypyrs. I haven't heard anything about them yet.

Although that's mostly because they keep getting pushed back in release. Like the MC all over again.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
You could go for the new tube-powered Vypyrs. I haven't heard anything about them yet.

Although that's mostly because they keep getting pushed back in release. Like the MC all over again.

Line 6 flextone?
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
ok i went to omaha and tried out the cube, vk, and vypyr, spent a couple hours with em i must say that i'm really impressed with the vypyr. The vk aint for me.. the roland lost out to the vypyr imo.
the Peavey Vypyr... or the Vox VT.

I talked to a few guys in a couple stores and they all say the same thing. the vypyr has analog distortion so it leaves more for the effects so it will have a less drain on the tone with effects, but the vox amps have a tube pre-amp that makes them emulate a tube amp a little better. hm.. i haven't had a good experience with line 6s pedals and cheaper amps but I'll try that flextone cuz i saw it there.

this seems to be solved with the Vypyr 60 Tube Amp thats coming out
thanks for the help guys..
Quote by SaoSurvive
ok i went to omaha and tried out the cube, vk, and vypyr, spent a couple hours with em i must say that i'm really impressed with the vypyr. The vk aint for me.. the roland lost out to the vypyr imo.
the Peavey Vypyr... or the Vox VT.

I talked to a few guys in a couple stores and they all say the same thing. the vypyr has analog distortion so it leaves more for the effects so it will have a less drain on the tone with effects, but the vox amps have a tube pre-amp that makes them emulate a tube amp a little better. hm.. i haven't had a good experience with line 6s pedals and cheaper amps but I'll try that flextone cuz i saw it there.

this seems to be solved with the Vypyr 60 Tube Amp thats coming out
thanks for the help guys..

line 6 products are actually pretty good for the most part, the spider III blows though, their pedals aren't the greatest but they are fine.

the flextone is a good amp too, although i still say the vyper
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
thanks dave, Yeah I guess I didn't really give line 6 much cred... i've owned like 1/2 the tonecore lineup and was pretty happy with most of them but the dr. distorto.
my friend had a spider III.. i swear its like the crunchtone and uber metal pedals with less control and sub-par everything.
Last edited by SaoSurvive at Nov 22, 2008,