I am new to the head and cab thing my current amp is a crappy begginer pack Fender. Anywho, I was wondering if I was to buy say a Marshall JCM 900 or 2000 could i pair that with a Orange Cab? Or would it just be wise to stick with a Marshall Cab?
Quote by Knurlheim
stick with marshall

Ok does it matter what cab i get? doesnt all the sound and stuff come from the head?
it doesnt matter what cab, as long as same power (8ohm etc) but its usually switchable from head/cab

think orange are better than marshall, not sure tho, im more of a metal guy and aint tried either so cant comment, read reviews and yeah just go from there
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
you want celestion speakers, whatever you do.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
Quote by death_metaller
it doesnt matter what cab, as long as same power (8ohm etc) but its usually switchable from head/cab

think orange are better than marshall, not sure tho, im more of a metal guy and aint tried either so cant comment, read reviews and yeah just go from there

well thats what sound im wanting is a metal sound so marshall should be ok?
Quote by CaRveItiNbass

Any reasons why? are they good for metal?
orange are much better value for money than marshall in terms of amps - the cabs on the other hand, would probably be pretty even. If you're using a marshall head, it'd probably look nicer with a marshall cab
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by Knurlheim
stick with marshall

Why? Marshall is not the end all, especially when it comes to cabs.

Quote by CaRveItiNbass

Why? Sure, they're good (my cab is loaded with V30's), but it's not like there aren't other options.

-

The main issue is matching the impedance rating; get this wrong and your amp is at risk. It's pretty straight forward - if your amp's impedance rating is 8ohm's, match it with a 8ohm cab. Do not EVER go below the 8ohm (e.g. do not use a 4ohm cab with an 8ohm head). Same with turning your amp on without a load/cab. I think the heads your mentioned have a switchable impedance anyway.

As for Marshall and Orange, I've heard it's a pretty good combination, actually.
Quote by jeowy
orange are much better value for money than marshall in terms of amps - the cabs on the other hand, would probably be pretty even. If you're using a marshall head, it'd probably look nicer with a marshall cab

well i havent bought anything yet. I have just been looking would Orange be a good metal amp??
Celestions are a well known speaker brand. They make a lot of good (and several not so good) speakers. They're not, however, the be all and end all when it comes to speakers. An orange cab would be fine with a marshall head, assuming the impedance (measured in ohms) is the same. I personally prefer the orange 4x12 to any of the 1960 Marshall cabs.
Vintage 30s are pretty good for metal, and I believe they're available in both.
I know your might be tight, but for a little more, you could get this
http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_CORNFORD4X12B.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_content=allproducts&utm_campaign=googlebaseCORNFORD4X12B

Cornford make amazing cabs (not bad amps either!!) and this would be well worth the extra cost, if you can wrangle it.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Last edited by jimbob78 at Nov 19, 2008,
Quote by Mathamology
Why? Marshall is not the end all, especially when it comes to cabs.

Why? Sure, they're good (my cab is loaded with V30's), but it's not like there aren't other options.

-

The main issue is matching the impedance rating; get this wrong and your amp is at risk. It's pretty straight forward - if your amp's impedance rating is 8ohm's, match it with a 8ohm cab. Do not EVER go below the 8ohm (e.g. do not use a 4ohm cab with an 8ohm head). Same with turning your amp on without a load/cab. I think the heads your mentioned have a switchable impedance anyway.

As for Marshall and Orange, I've heard it's a pretty good combination, actually.

Ok see i had no idea on the ohm thing so that helps and I would like to get all orange but i have just been told that Marshall is better for metal so thats why i threw them in there.
Quote by jimbob78
Celestions are a well known speaker brand. They make a lot of good (and several not so good) speakers. They're not, however, the be all and end all when it comes to speakers. An orange cab would be fine with a marshall head, assuming the impedance (measured in ohms) is the same. I personally prefer the orange 4x12 to any of the 1960 Marshall cabs.
Vintage 30s are pretty good for metal, and I believe they're available in both.
I know your might be tight, but for a little more, you could get this
http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_CORNFORD4X12B.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_content=allproducts&utm_campaign=googlebaseCORNFORD4X12B

Cornford make amazing cabs (not bad amps either!!) and this would be well worth the extra cost, if you can wrangle it.

I have never heard of cornford before. I would want to test it out before i bought it. Im assuming its a good cab for metal?
Quote by Mathamology
^ What kind of metal. Because there are better amps out there in your price range, depending on your style.

Stuff sounding like Bullet for My Valentine or All that remains, Avenged Sevenfold.