Page 1 of 2
So I know there are a few threads based on Guitar Hero scores and things which usually result in someone coming in and saying playing the real thing is much better.

So I want to hear all the reasons why people don't like Guitar Hero. The reason is, I'm doing an interactive course and I'm making the controller play like a guitar tuned to drop D/C which then teaches you what you're playing. That way you can play the game and then pick a real guitar and play what you've learned.

Any recommendations or comments on my idea are welcome too.
The only thing that bothers me about is that you can't strum the open string.

Your idea sounds bit useless though.
I play guitar and Guitar Hero and I'm quite good at both. I don't understand why people hate on GH for no reason. It's perfectly fine. I can understand the douchebags who think they can play guitar cuz they're good at Guitar Hero are annoying, but the game itself and most people who play it are fine. It's 5 plastic buttons, it's not that hard. I've been playing guitar for 7 years and guitar hero for 10 months and I'm ranked like 300th in the world at it. I'm probably not even good enough at real guitar to say I'm even among the worst of the best. I just play it for fun.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by offspring_punk
I play guitar and Guitar Hero and I'm quite good at both. I don't understand why people hate on GH for no reason. It's perfectly fine. I can understand the douchebags who think they can play guitar cuz they're good at Guitar Hero are annoying, but the game itself and most people who play it are fine. It's 5 plastic buttons, it's not that hard. I've been playing guitar for 7 years and guitar hero for 10 months and I'm ranked like 300th in the world at it. I'm probably not even good enough at real guitar to say I'm even among the worst of the best. I just play it for fun.

hahahaha

EDIT:

To explain. The last person I heard say that tried to show me how good he was at guitar by playing me an Offspring song. Your name and sentance reminded me
Last edited by boreamor at Nov 19, 2008,
I don't really understand what's so hilarious about that, but alright.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
I don't have a problem with the game itself, it's the fans that ruin it for me. People (not all, but some) think that because they can play the game they are real musicians. They have events and competitions on televison where they play the game on stage for a crowd. I mean we gotta draw the line somwhere.

And there is some guitar game coming out that teaches you how to play actual guitar. It uses a USB guitar with strings and everything.
Quote by offspring_punk
I don't really understand what's so hilarious about that, but alright.

Touche. That went one went right over my head. A bit like an aeroplane.

And TS, I believe the reason that many guitarists hate Guitar Hero is because playing guitar takes application and dedication, whereas anyone can pick up a guitar hero controller and play something they recognise instantly, thus bypassing the application and dedication part. I think it is this that annoys guitarists; I mean how many times have you seen a group of people playing guitar hero, and some douchebag who plays real guitar sits there and informs everyone "I can play that on a real guitar", and expects some kind of respect, which they invariably don't get. They feel that others are stealing their limelight. Personally, I don't see what the fuss is about. Each to his own. When it comes down to it, I think people will obviously respect real guitarists more than guitar hero players.
Quote by Starstorm
I don't have a problem with the game itself, it's the fans that ruin it for me. People (not all, but some) think that because they can play the game they are real musicians. They have events and competitions on televison where they play the game on stage for a crowd. I mean we gotta draw the line somwhere.

And there is some guitar game coming out that teaches you how to play actual guitar. It uses a USB guitar with strings and everything.

Same here. I just play for fun, and to own those fans that think they can play real guitar. And sometimes I like to imagine I'm in an awesome band that's really famous. Who doesn't do that? If you say you don't, you're lying.

And I saw a vid for that game with the real guitar. He was trying to play Sunday Bloody Sunday, and I was just like "...UR DOIN IT RONG".
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by wizards?
God... yet another guitar hero thread? Use the searchbar, there have been like ten or eleven of these,"OmG lIeK Y Do U h8 GH3???"

*reported*

I did use the searchbar thanks, I didn't really see any that covered my course project which is part of the reason I started this thread.
i actually like guitar hero. A. because its entertaining and B. it helps with finger speed and controll and rythm, timing
Thanks guys, I'm used to seeing people slate the game so it's good to see some real guitarists supporting the game.

Any input on my project idea? I can go into a little more detail if people want to know how it works.
Becausae a lot of people look liek totall douches while playing the songs. case and point: My brother.
Quote by craigspyke
Thanks guys, I'm used to seeing people slate the game so it's good to see some real guitarists supporting the game.

Any input on my project idea? I can go into a little more detail if people want to know how it works.

what exactly is your idea??
here is why....

I took a trip to sacramento to hang out with a friend. When i got there he and about 8 other people were playing gh3.... so after an hour of sitting there bored, with no one even offering me a guitar i picked a real guitar up and started playing really low the actual guitar lines.... about 30m seconds later the music stops, i look over and realize everyone is staring at me and his roomate says "what the **** are you doing" to which i reply "just playing along for fun" and he invariably states " you're a ****ing fag" grabs the guitar from my hand and continues playing....... no that's not the end of the story but it's enough to prove my point......

F U CK GH AND ITS FANBOYS

Edit: no GH IS getting young kids into rock and guitar.... but still **** it's dumb fanboys
Don't you try and ask me your expiration date
Plans that forgot me 99 times
you'll be the one who opens the gate.

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Founder of the UG RHPS fanclub....

to join simply amend sig..
Anyone else find the game boring? Not because you can play the songs on a real guitar but because it kinda lacks the number of visuals and overall replay value. Like for example other games in other genres offer different visual/environments meanwhile guitar hero has buttons and several different characters appear on screen. I guess music simulators aren't for me.
I've yet to meet a serious musician with talent and ability that is in a rage over guitar hero, the only place i've even seen people talk down opon the game is this website
Quote by otizzle23
what exactly is your idea??

Guitar Hero plugs into a PC, and hopefully a Mac. Using some specially made software the guitar inputs are detected and it triggers sounds and visuals.

The sounds would be drop-D, and possibly C, power chords. The frets would register just like frets on a guitar so it only registers the highest fret. Open strumming and palm mute sounds are also available. Finally, the select and start buttons change the fret positions, so pressing start moves the frets up one, select moves down one.

The visuals are a bit vague at the moment but I hope to teach the player what they're playing on a real guitar, be that with tab or pictures, not sure yet.

There's some other ideas floating around at the moment like some other sounds and possibly effects.

What do you thinks?

I've already started this, got some recordings that work with the Guitar Hero controller but if anyone has a cool idea I'm pretty open to suggestions.
thats actually not a bad idea. it could help kids or just newbies in general the fundamentals of guitar. especially the importance of power chords. drop d and c are sick but ever consider having a standard tuning option??
Quote by otizzle23
thats actually not a bad idea. it could help kids or just newbies in general the fundamentals of guitar. especially the importance of power chords. drop d and c are sick but ever consider having a standard tuning option??

Yeah I did but I wasn't sure about what the fret buttons would play. I wanted the finger positions to be representative of the real thing too, that's why I chose Drop tunings as they can be played with one finger so it translates well, but if you got an idea let me know.
WHY WHY WHY. just get a real guitar and learn that. it ****ing worked for all of us. if you're too impatient to learn a REAL musical instrument then become a CPA and shut the **** up.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I just think if you pwn at guitar hero and you dont play real guitar, then you dont have bragging rights.
And whenever someone beats me at guitar hero, I take out my real guitar and shred away any false pride that they had.
I like GH because i know its a game.. and I dont give a toss what people think.. I still play normal guitar, and love them both
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I think its fun to play, I still get more of a rush from the real thing though.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by fastlanestoner
WHY WHY WHY. just get a real guitar and learn that. it ****ing worked for all of us. if you're too impatient to learn a REAL musical instrument then become a CPA and shut the **** up.

I have and I do. What I want is to bridge this middle ground between Guitar Hero players and real guitar players. The teaching element is there to encourage people to pick up the real thing and give it a go.
I play guitar hero and rock band...Real drums and guitar too,The games are just entertaining.I'll play the games and then go practice the real things for a few hours...I do notice people seem to be more impressed with great GH skills then real guitar skills...which I lack but thats beside the point.Luckily it does'nt seem like drummers dont have the same problem...Since the skills in both kind of play off each other.
So nobody got any ideas for the regular tuning? I'm kinda set on Dropped tunings as they're going to be the most realistic for finger positions on a GH controller.
I don't like Guitar Hero because it's too hard so I just play guitar.
I'm sorry, that sounds like a terrible idea.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Your idea would be EXTREMELY easy to do. You just need to buy the PC/Mac version of GHIII, which is available all over the internet (to buy, not illegally DL, though I'm sure that's there too). Then look up some tutorials (score hero maybe?) on how to rewrite the charts and replace the MP3s. Then just pick songs in open tunings, and write your charts to reflect a real fretboard. Boom, done! Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I don't hate GH, it actually got me interested in real guitar because I wanted to really be able to play what I was hearing.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
I just dont like guitar hero because people spend $150 on a guitar game instead of the real thing itself why not just learn all the songs on it instead of strumming a plastic strum bar and clicking random buttons. Then they think they are all good and god like.
Quote by Starstorm

its a really simple idea. electric guitars transmit a signal that could have easily been translated into a controller. longggg overdue
Quote by Sid McCall
Your idea would be EXTREMELY easy to do. You just need to buy the PC/Mac version of GHIII, which is available all over the internet (to buy, not illegally DL, though I'm sure that's there too). Then look up some tutorials (score hero maybe?) on how to rewrite the charts and replace the MP3s. Then just pick songs in open tunings, and write your charts to reflect a real fretboard. Boom, done! Good luck!

That's just if I wanted to do the sounds, plus it doesn't really teach you anything. If anyone wants to do a beta test when I got some stable and decent enough software PM me.
u gotta admit it's kind of annoying how obsessed people can be about it, like seriously i saw a show on mtv that was completely dedicated to Rock Band and all the people on it acted like it was their purpose in life , it was sad
founder of the MXPX group, pm me to join

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!!!!

Wii number: 7054 3894 4223 2011
Quote by J.A.R.
u gotta admit it's kind of annoying how obsessed people can be about it, like seriously i saw a show on mtv that was completely dedicated to Rock Band and all the people on it acted like it was their purpose in life , it was sad

Yeah is it VH1 that are making a series about Rock Band bands? That's stupid but the only way they'll know it's stupid is if people don't watch it.
Page 1 of 2