I have faith that I will come to a point of revelation or reward or wow, finally got it on the guitar. I hope it will be similar to other similar things that after practice, it just finally works like twirling a pencil or playing a video game with long complex combos.

How many hours of good solid practice would you guys say it takes before you finally hit that next level of guitar playing? And I am not saying one day you suddenly jam to every song or any song, but that point where you just hit the next level and really feel you are getting somewhere.

Thanks.
Guitar: Ibanez Electric GRG Series
Amp: Ibanez
Experience: Less than 1 Year

Don't sleep on me, I bring dreams to reality.
I don't think there's a set point or time when you start to pick up on things. I think playing different types and styles of music helps the process. I think I've also found 'more' when just picking up the guitar and improvising without any preconceived ideas.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
I think that'd be hard to answer because I believe most people would realize that they really progressed a fair amount of time AFTER they've already mastered the technique and then sometime later they realize that they've done some progress.

For example, I was teaching the basics to a friend yesterday (chrome scale exercise, C/D/G open major chords) and I realized that when I was explaining the technique to him and a bit about the guitar (he knows a little bit of music theory), I realized that I know the major and minor scale pretty well and I can do most open chords reasonably well. I remember when I had trouble myself with muting notes in open chords and such, only been a few months since then.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
for me its like each plateau is followed by an epiphany and then another plateau... i like it that way... once in a while i feel that i have made a significant move forward.
Thank you please.
i think that point you are looking for is the 3 year mark or so.

my friend has seen like 3 people grow from the day they started and to her observation at the 3rd year people started getting to that point where they got it.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I picked up a bass about 4 months ago, played guitar for like 6 months, and never really got "it" on guitar. I've recently started "getting it" on my bass, and understand a lot more about music lately. I wouldn't say I've got it, but I'm starting to get it. I practice about 2 1/2 hours a day though.
It's really different for everyone; some are just more inclined to it. But you'll definitely know when you "get it." Pretty much everyone has that moment where they pick up a guitar (or anything for that matter) and all of a sudden it just seems a million times easier.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Quote by mikecart1
it just finally works like twirling a pencil or playing a video game with long complex combos.

Just don't end up like my friend's dad who got pissed playing Ninja Gaiden (supposingly hardest video game ever), just calmly opened the xbox drive, took out Ninja Gaiden disc, opened the front door, and threw the disc into the street to get ran over by a car lol. Not with your guitar please xD

I've been realizing that I've been getting this "OMG IM SO COOL" moments with my guitar lately since I been practicing for a couple hours per day now, oh and I actually had an "ah-ha!" moment this week to understand circle of fifths and key signatures
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
I find if you can practice for 1 or two days (or more!) for at least 5 hrs it really helps push you to the next level. Spend a weekend only playing guitar with your free time....till your fingers are a bit sore, then see how you play better the next week, keep on doing this, if you can practice 3 or more hrs almost every day it will snowball and you will just get it without thinking. Also like Xeus said, record yourself and watch it a month later. Split your time between excersises and playing with feeling and it comes together better than just trying to be technical or soulful.
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 20, 2008,
every small milestone is achieved in my eyes when the music suddenly slows down. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but every time I'm learning something, it seems so hard because it's all going so fast. I have to struggle to keep up, and because of that I usually make a bunch of mistakes. All of a sudden, usually after I come back to it after not having played for a day or two, it's like the music slowed down, and I've got all this extra time inbetween notes. I get to everything on time and have time left over to anticipate my next move. Once I get to that point, everything I've been working on usually gels rapidly.
Quote by ktlynn84
I picked up a bass about 4 months ago, played guitar for like 6 months, and never really got "it" on guitar. I've recently started "getting it" on my bass, and understand a lot more about music lately. I wouldn't say I've got it, but I'm starting to get it. I practice about 2 1/2 hours a day though.

Thats funny, I had the opposite experience. I didn't really start understanding things until I picked up a guitar after learning bass.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
It's hard to say since people progress differently. It took me like 6 months+ before I picked up the guitar and went "Man I didn't know **** back then." My advice: If you want it to come quicker, try focusing on a few techniques and chords until you get those down, and then play some easy songs you like. Works for me.
I honestly don't remember.
It's all just a blur, really...well, the fact that I have the absolute worst memory known to man might contribute, but still.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I've been playing for a little over four years and I never really felt comfortable with my playing until the 2-3 year mark. Before then, I could never play in front of an audience because I was too shy. At about the same time, though I was playing saxophone in the school band, I got used to playing with a group and we were often individually tested, so... For me it was really just a confidence issue, if you put in the work to improve your technique and playing ability, you will see results. The best way to do it is to directly address the problems that hinder your playing the most.