heyy, i've got a rugby tournamentt in 2 days ! finallyyy getting a few games again.
any1 got any tips and technique help?

What do you think defines a good rugby player and captain?

thanks a lot =]

start a rugby threadd =]
You've not got much time to work on your technique if the tournament is in 2 days. A good rugby player is a rugby player who excels in at least one element of the game, it will vary for position. A good forward is strong, tackles well, rucks well, etc. A good winger is somebody who is blindingly fast and can catch high balls, etc.

A good captain just needs to know exactly what to do all the time and can inspire people.
Yeah i must say, you've gotta take the fall with the ups....
i think communication is key as well though, like without speaking, the line is broken and everything just deteriorates =/
yeahh, i know the 2 days thing is short, like we've been going to team practices for months now, this is just like last minute thoughts to keep inmind thorughout the game and stuff lol.
yeahh, you've gotta be suited to ur position, it's 7's tournament.
I haven't been playing rugby for too long, it's been maybe 6 months?
less probably, first game...broke my collar bone...what a massive fail =/
i'm pretty sportive, like played football and other sports very often, specially football, i think speed is my key point, but problem is, since i haven't played rugby too often, ball handling isn't too great...can't really catch =/ lol...
Quote by FaisalKaragoly
Yeah i must say, you've gotta take the fall with the ups....
i think communication is key as well though, like without speaking, the line is broken and everything just deteriorates =/

You asked what makes a good player or captain, communication is what makes a good team.

EDIT:
Quote by FaisalKaragoly
yeahh, i know the 2 days thing is short, like we've been going to team practices for months now, this is just like last minute thoughts to keep inmind thorughout the game and stuff lol.
yeahh, you've gotta be suited to ur position, it's 7's tournament.
I haven't been playing rugby for too long, it's been maybe 6 months?
less probably, first game...broke my collar bone...what a massive fail =/
i'm pretty sportive, like played football and other sports very often, specially football, i think speed is my key point, but problem is, since i haven't played rugby too often, ball handling isn't too great...can't really catch =/ lol...
Sevens is the best thing to happen to rugby since Percy Montgomery grew his sexy hair, I played a sevens tournament a few weeks ago, just remember to make your tackles count, don't get involved in rucks if you haven't got a chance of winning them, and keep the game physical. The pitch will likely be smaller than a normal size so you've got to keep it tight, when your side is in possession keep the ball moving and try and avoid rucks, also, don't kick it a lot, grubbers work well but only in perfect situations. Keep people running onto the ball and try and blast holes in the defense, you probably won't have space to run round the opposing line so make sure you get through their defensive line.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Nov 19, 2008,
communication is what makes a good team, but the team captain, imo, should always be speaking and reminding people to hold lines and different runs eg loops, scissors.
I don't think the team would speak much if the captain didn't though....since captain is kind of a 'role model' player with mental attributes, not just physical.

7's, which you prefer? think my fav is 7's
lol, i think it's more than just running into eachother lol....
heyy you've got a Schecter C-1 hellraiser FR, =] i'm trying to get one of them, you like it? i've currently got an EC-1000, kinda want a different shape with a FR
Quote by FaisalKaragoly
communication is what makes a good team, but the team captain, imo, should always be speaking and reminding people to hold lines and different runs eg loops, scissors.
I don't think the team would speak much if the captain didn't though....since captain is kind of a 'role model' player with mental attributes, not just physical.

7's, which you prefer? think my fav is 7's

Everybody should be communicating, not just the captain, but it really depends upon the position, if the captain is a prop then he probably won't get as much communicating done as a fly half or a scrum half, who are constantly calling out back line moves and such.

Sevens is great fun but sometimes a big match is just great.

EDIT: OK you've managed to double post twice now, just edit your posts!
Quote by blynd_snyper

EDIT:
Sevens is the best thing to happen to rugby since Percy Montgomery grew his sexy hair, I played a sevens tournament a few weeks ago, just remember to make your tackles count, don't get involved in rucks if you haven't got a chance of winning them, and keep the game physical. The pitch will likely be smaller than a normal size so you've got to keep it tight, when your side is in possession keep the ball moving and try and avoid rucks, also, don't kick it a lot, grubbers work well but only in perfect situations. Keep people running onto the ball and try and blast holes in the defense, you probably won't have space to run round the opposing line so make sure you get through their defensive line.

oh nooo, percyy montgomeryy lol...your South African ? is he back from that bicep tear or whatever? hasn't he been dropped for it?

yeahhh, 7's are great, loads of action in the 14 minutes. I must agree, the grubbers are great when they do work, but how often do they work successfully without a turnover?.....not too often...

We've been training on that, been trying to break through the gaps in the defense with power/speed, cause our forward line contains a seriously powerful guy, and some 1 who relies on speed more often...me lol....we're trying to push the defence and then draw them towards one player and then offload into the gap.

Where'd you play in the 7's?
just someone who leads from the front, who is not necassarily at every break down, but is there for the team when they need it most. take a look at some of the captains today - jonny wilkinson (england), jason white (scotland), Brian o'driscoll (ireland), Ryan jones (wales) all of them massive players of the game, all good at their own individual attributes - tackling, work rate, determination, and just general presence
Quote by FaisalKaragoly
oh nooo, percyy montgomeryy lol...your South African ? is he back from that bicep tear or whatever? hasn't he been dropped for it?

yeahhh, 7's are great, loads of action in the 14 minutes. I must agree, the grubbers are great when they do work, but how often do they work successfully without a turnover?.....not too often...

We've been training on that, been trying to break through the gaps in the defense with power/speed, cause our forward line contains a seriously powerful guy, and some 1 who relies on speed more often...me lol....we're trying to push the defence and then draw them towards one player and then offload into the gap.

Where'd you play in the 7's?

I'm not south african but I can appreciate Montgomery's amazing sexiness. I don't know if he's going to be coming back, he is getting rather old.

Grubbers work if you've got a good runner, a good kicker and are doing it in the right situation. It doesn't harm if their fullback isn't up to it. Just do it in select situations and it might work, punching through the gaps with quick offloading is a great way to win sevens.

When we played we didn't really have positions, I played sort of scrum half for one team (they didn't have enough players so I had to play for them against my own school, almost scored a try as well) when I played for my school we didn't have positions, we'd just have a line and switch around a lot, I stayed on the wing sometimes, went into the centre some times, it changed.
Yeah, some great captains there....read Jonny W's autobiography, what a nice guy =/ been through a lot, so much hard hours of training, very inspirational.

ahh, but why Montgomery'ss, there are much cooler players lol, yeahh..he's beem out for a while, and yeahh, he is getting pretty old now.

I do agree with your on the grubbers, the right situations, and they could turn the game around instantaniously. I do prefer the moves carried out by players, like the tricky offloads and loops, so on.

Ahh, is that like a club kinda thing?
i'm in the same situation, I usually play for the older age groups but the schools we're playing against didn't wanna play the seniors, so i was young enough to join the U16's, the U18's team is a much better team though, much more experienced players that play for clubs outside school as well as school teams. So i'm kinda worried about this current team, really need a good fullback, although rugby is about trusting your line on carrying out the tackles succesfully against the man in their channels, we are a weaker team now, your team is as gud as it's weakest link...

Where'd you think you exceeded? what position is your best in your opinion?
Quote by FaisalKaragoly
Ahh, is that like a club kinda thing?
i'm in the same situation, I usually play for the older age groups but the schools we're playing against didn't wanna play the seniors, so i was young enough to join the U16's, the U18's team is a much better team though, much more experienced players that play for clubs outside school as well as school teams. So i'm kinda worried about this current team, really need a good fullback, although rugby is about trusting your line on carrying out the tackles succesfully against the man in their channels, we are a weaker team now, your team is as gud as it's weakest link...

Where'd you think you exceeded? what position is your best in your opinion?

It was a tournament with clubs and schools, I played for my school and another school which didn't have enough players. It was an under 18s thing though we had some people who were possibly under 16 as well.

I don't think I have one position at which I exceed, I can't play a forward 'cos I'm small, I'm not really fast enough to be an amazing winger, but if I could pass faster I'd love to play scrum half. I just enjoy playing wherever I play.
im a captain for my rugby team and trust me two days in not enough time to build u technique. ive played for 4 1/2 seasons and i have captained 3 of those. so in reality it has taken 3 years for me to build up my technique and i still wouldnt classify myself as great yet. you could use the tournamnet to hel build u your technique.

good luck.
Ahh, so your kind of an allrounder?
I kinda have the same problem, i'm fairly strong, but lack the weight to play as a forward and i lack the catching ability to be a winger, like if i have the ball in my hands, i usually win 1 on 1's but catching the long passes etc...pretty hard for inexperienced rugby player.

Wow, 3 years of captaining, congrats. great achievement dude. And yeah, i know the two days is way too late, we've been have practices for like 3 months in this new team, but im'just trying to collect like last minute tips and thoughts to keep in mind for the game, a smart loop pass or something to do for eample. Thanks, gonna need it, going up against some tough teams.
best tip: avoid clothelines. If you see lots coming at you, duck and cover.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
lol, yeah, gotta watch out for them...obviously they count as hightackles...right? lol...
what's the best way for winning in a one on one situation when you're attacking? Any certain moves seem to work often? The only one i generally know is the sidestep...and just modify it from there...what else is there to do really?
Quote by FaisalKaragoly
lol, yeah, gotta watch out for them...obviously they count as hightackles...right? lol...
what's the best way for winning in a one on one situation when you're attacking? Any certain moves seem to work often? The only one i generally know is the sidestep...and just modify it from there...what else is there to do really?

On contact spin away from the tackle and hand off the opponent
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero
ahh...so you kinda turn your back towards the defender and then turn him and hand off yeah?
how does the spin away work though =/