So I'm finally going to try to tinker with some sort of rack setup. I'm about to acquire an old Digitech GSP 21 Legend preamp. (read good things about these). I need some suggestions about some good power amps to look for. I'm trying to keep on a small budget, somewhere at or under $250 bucks. I'm more than willing to go used and because of my price that is where I'm looking more. A used Peavey 50/50 Classic is my first thought, but looking for any suggestions.

Thanks
Jonesy
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I've heard that plugging a preamp into the Powerblock would be sending power into power, thus being bad. Would I plug directly into the front input of the powerblock or is there another input on the back I would use. I'm not too familiar with the powerblock.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Ok, well I've been looking at my options.
Crate Powerblock. I can get it cheap, but how does it work at a power amp? Anyone with any experience? It's not rackmount, but it will do if it will sound ok.
Go used. Like I said before, I'd love to find a cheap, used Peavey 50/50 Classic, but I don't know if I will.
Go for a PA power amp. Once again though, not sure how this will work. I am using a digital preamp, so I guess in theory I don't really want too much coloration of my tone from my power amp. Any thoughts on this? Not sure how well it would work.

I can't wait to get this set up and running. I will be using a Bugera 6262 with my GSP 21 Pro in an A/B/Y setup. Should have great sounds.
Quote by Zeppelin71
You wouldn't plug your preamp into the input on the PowerBlock. You would run it into a "line in" (or effects loop return) on the back, therefore bypassing it's preamp altogether and only using it as a power amp.

If you need a rackmount power amp that is pretty solid and not expensive, find a Rocktron Velocity 100.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^ Any experience with the Velocity? I have heard it's not loud enough for live applications, however, my band will be micing everything. I am looking into the Rocktron though.

Powerblock sounds enticing. I think I'm going to go try this setup now. I'm pretty sure the store I'm getting the GSP from has a used Powerblock.

Thanks for suggestions, keep em coming.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Using the Velocity 100 is about like using any decent mid-sized solid state amp. If you can keep up using a 50-80 watt SS combo, you can keep up using the Velocity 100.

The natural advantage of it versus the Velocity is it's rackmountable. The PowerBlock will likely be cheaper and will certainly give you more headroom though.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I tried out the GSP Pro with a Mackie PA Power amp today. Didn't sound too bad. Didn't have the warmth that a tube power amp would have, but still sounded very good, especially the cleans, and I'm sure I could tweak the distortions to sound a little more warm. I might go this route for now, until I save up to get a tube power amp.

Anyone have any pros/cons for using a PA power amp?
Quote by Zeppelin71