Are bested suited for using guitar pedals with? I have a number of boss guitar pedals such as distortion, flange, reverb etc and was wondering which is the best amp to get for them? I've heard valve amps are the key, however, anyone got any actual suggestions as to which amp? I have a budget of around £600-£700??
Thanks a lot.
some kind of tube amp?
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
i'd just get some variation of a spider III line 6... built in effects and plenty of clean channels to add your own
try looking for a Traynor YCV40 or YCV50 or maybe go to the amps Q&A thread for more suggestions.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Quote by Slainone
i'd just get some variation of a spider III line 6... built in effects and plenty of clean channels to add your own

The TS asked for the best amp in his price range, not the worst.

A lot of "clean" amp seem to take pedals well, such as Fenders, but the only problem going that route is that you almost have to use distortion pedals to get a good bit of gain, which alter the sound of the amp and for the most part, the amps aren't voiced well for more distortion-based styles of music.

Modulation effects work well on almost every amp I've used though, as long as it has an effects loop in it. Some only seem to work well with rack effects though or higher end processors/pedals; I've found this to mostly occur with tube driven or buffered effects loops though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Slainone

Nope.

If you are using a bunch of pedals, perhaps something with good cleans like a Fender twin or something.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Plenty of amps take pedals well. You have a decent budget - what type of music do you play? Do you gig or just practice at home?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by jacko_17
Are bested suited for using guitar pedals with? I have a number of boss guitar pedals such as distortion, flange, reverb etc and was wondering which is the best amp to get for them? I've heard valve amps are the key, however, anyone got any actual suggestions as to which amp? I have a budget of around £600-£700??
Thanks a lot.

depends what music you play, definately get a tube amp...

In that price range i'd go for a Vox AC30 (because i have one and they rule ) but there are various other options such as fenders etc.

But that's only for rock/blues/alternative music, if you play heavier stuff i wouldn't recommend them to you.
i play quite heavy Indie/Rock music and gig regularly with a band. It's sort of like an Oasis type sound. Please could you recommend some?
Thanks.
Quote by Slainone

NO!!!1

edit: for that budget i'd consider selling your distortion pedal and buying a good tube (valve) amp. I think the Peavey Classic 30 or 50 sounds good for you. It has a good amount of built in gain and takes pedals very well. I know a used one is about 350 usd, so you'd have money left over.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Last edited by SlappyMcLardfat at Nov 19, 2008,
Traynor YCV40 or 50Blue would be your best best as they have great cleans which would take effects very easily and then they also have a nice classic rock OD channel if you don't want to use a pedal for OD
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
clean amps, single channel amps, vintage amps, bass amps.

ampegs, hiwatts, fenders, traynors, sunns, sovtek MIGs, etc.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
When you are considering your costs, I would take into account the expense of taking the amp head into get "tuned up" and possibly modded. This pertains more to certain amps than others.

For example.....

Ampeg VL-1002 - Great amp head from the early 90's. Designed by Lee Jackson, Ampeg cut some corners however, and in doing so made quite a few of them unreliable. It's cost you around $300 USD to get it modified to Lee Jacksons original specs.

'
Ah, so in a nut shell, a valve amp on clean will work well with pedals?
thanks a lot.
you could prob score an orange rocker 30 used for the price

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
you could prob score an orange rocker 30 used for the price

He probably could, but the Rocker 30 doesn't have an effects loop, which (imo) makes it bad for using a lot of pedals.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ not necessarily.

my sunn doesn't have an effects loop and takes pedals like a beast. i'm running about 13-17 at any given point.

of course it can come handy, but it wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Ah so which of the amps suggested do and don't have an effects loop? e.g. do the VOX AC-30 and VOX AC-15's have one?

What is an effects loop?

Thanks.
Quote by xwearesinking
^ not necessarily.

my sunn doesn't have an effects loop and takes pedals like a beast. i'm running about 13-17 at any given point.

of course it can come handy, but it wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

It really depends on if you're playing clean/using a pedal for distortion or not.

If you're using a bunch of modulation effects like delay and you're using the amp's built in distortion, it sounds really bad if you put it in front imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I do intend on using my own distortion pedals for the sound, is this recommended and what amps would you recommend for that?
Cheers
I personally hate the sound of distortion pedals and wouldn't recommend it, but I know it's a desired tone by some.

If that's what you're wanting to do, I'd just get an amp that has the nicest sounding cleans to you and hopefully an effects loop, and you'll be set.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jacko_17
i play quite heavy Indie/Rock music and gig regularly with a band. It's sort of like an Oasis type sound. Please could you recommend some?
Thanks.

orange rocker 30? should be around your budget. no fx loop, though. distortion/overdrives/boosters/wahs etc. will work ok, not sure how well modulation and delays etc. will work without a loop... they might be fine, or they might not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Crate V-series?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by Slainone

+1241583212

The tone was so great when I tried this I actually thought there was a bee hive inside the speaker cone.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Also just wondering whether it's best to use a distortion pedal for the sound or to use an amps distortion setting?
thanks
The majority of the people here believe that Amp gain > pedal gain.
Personally, I am undecided.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
^ it depends, to be honest. i'd prefer amp distortion to pedal distortion, if that means a pedal run through a clean amp, but if it's just a slight boost from a pedal to an already overdriven amp, that can sound awesome.

plus you can never discount the fact that a certain pedal + amp together might just sound amazing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?