I'm at Sheffield Hallam University, staying in the city centre, interested in playing in a band/starting a band.
I play guitar, I'm not an overly confident singer but I can sing, can kinda growl, play drums too but none of my gear is with me at uni for obvious reasons (plus I'm waaay out of practice).
Play pretty much everything and anything from acoustic to metal to jazz to blues. Very interested in more experimental music too.
I have a bit of recording equipment too, got a toneport for guitars/vox, keyboard for MIDI crap/synths, macbook with logic pro installed, a condensor mic, etc etc.
Anyway if you're in the area and interested in making some ****in' music let's do it.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Last edited by Lewiji at Nov 19, 2008,
Do you have any direction you're particularly looking to go in, any main influencing bands? I'm a bassist also in Sheffield, though at the other Uni there :P
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
I've just started up at the main uni too, would like to get jamming with some people.

Influences:
Cult of Luna
Between the Buried and Me
Tool
Russian Circles
Explosions in the Sky
Quote by Meatball200
I've just started up at the main uni too, would like to get jamming with some people.

Influences:
Cult of Luna
Between the Buried and Me
Tool
Russian Circles
Explosions in the Sky

You like Explosions? into any other post rock, such as Jakob perhaps? I'd like to be able to do some stuff like that
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
I think you have some good ideas going there, i like the sound of what you've got, and if you came up with some stuff that was perhaps a little darker like the Jakob album Solace that would be amazing, i have to say i'm quite interested in what you've got so far, and i also happen to know a drummer into Jakob and other post rock, and could possibly talk to a keyboard player too
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
If you havn't heard Cult of Luna already go check them out, they're very much on the heavier side with growling vocals too. I'm a fan of music which goes from more ambient sections into heavy as hell bits much like Jakob do.

Havn't actually got an amp up here with me so ive resorted to playing through my toneport. Im in the market for a new amp anyway and am probably gonna pick up an ebow for christmas too.

You didn't go to the Maybeshewill gig at the Raynor Lounge a few weeks ago by any chance?
I will check out some Cult of Luna, and i only have a tiny practice amp with me here too, however at home i do have a brand new ashdown, as mentioned in my sig, and no i wasn't at the Raynor Lounge a couple of weeks ago
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Ok i checked out some Cult of Luna, and its good, very dark sounding stuff, i like that, of course i also like mellow stuff like Explosions, and some slightly more proggy stuff like Porcupine Tree, not 100% convinced on the growling vocals, i'd have liked Cult of Luna just as much without them really, but still pretty good stuff
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Okay sounds like we're thinking along the same lines then! Where abouts in Sheffield are you staying? Im in first year halls just off West Street.
Hey, sorry about the late reply, i was at corp for a friends 21st, anyway i live all the way in walkley, but i'll post you my email in a private message, so you can get in touch and maybe we can meet up and discuss as a post rock project
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Hey, this stuff sounds really good, my main influences are Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Tool, etc... Never heard Explosions or Jakob but I'll look into them. Drop me a PM.
I have an EP recorded of solo stuff if you wanna listen but it's not the sort of stuff I want to write now, it was written a while ago when I was depressed as **** haha
I don't have my amp with me in Sheff either but I can probably bring it up somehow even if it means lugging it on the train. I do have an ebow though - we could share?
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Last edited by Lewiji at Nov 20, 2008,
Cool i'll PM you my msn address so drop me an email or msn if you use it yourself. I'm in City accomodation between Corporation and just off West Street.

I know the uni's got a practice room in the union building, not sure if it comes with amps or anything else though.
Cheers for letting me know about this thread meatball. I'm at sheffield uni - tapton hall (so you know what I've got to put up with :P) and I've got an acoustic and my electric with me. I would pretty much list exactly the same list of influences as you guys have as well but I'm into any kind of music really and I'm desperate for some kind of band or some gigs!!

As well as the uni practice rooms there's a place called the attic on ball street which is pretty decent and all their rooms have 2 amps, vocal p.a, full drumkit, 2 mics, a bass amp and a cd player and it's £22 quid for 3 hours at weekends and £20 for 3 hours in the mon-fri. sounds pretty good to me!
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
That sounds really good. I was planning on doing lead guitar but we now have 3 guitarists and a bassist haha (what do you expect on UG) - I could play drums but as I say I'm rusty. We'll see how it goes huh.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
i don't mind sitting back and playing rhythm, could even have a go at keyboard if anybody's got one. i can do solos well enough but not too fussed if somebody else wants the flashy stuff :P
Quote by Jackal58

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
I have a MIDI controller keyboard and Ableton Live/Mainstage on my Mac if that's any use :p
I suggest we all meet up sometime in the week (monday?) and discuss options
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
sounds good. just out of interest, do you know a decent singer? that's always been the hardest part of making a complete band in my experience...
Quote by Jackal58

Quote by Kilty Boxers
I don't unfortunately. I can kinda sing, ie I can sing in pitch, but I have basically no range at all. But that could suit the style, I dunno. We'll just have to see how it goes, maybe go mostly instrumental with a few lyrics?
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
yeah that's the same for me, could work i suppose. instrumentals shouldn't be too hard with 3 guitars
Quote by Jackal58

Quote by Kilty Boxers
Tell you an idea, keyboard/guitarist like Battles haha. Just an idea. We can discuss this soon! I'll PM you my MSN
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Another guitarist? This is quite a response, well in response to the vocals question, i don't know any good singers around, however if we're going a post rock kind of route, we might not need them, more chance for us to show off our amazing talents... or something along those lines
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
could you answer whether i could be rhythm or not?
my main influences are: Rhapsody, AC/DC, Black Sabbath,Slipknot and Jimi Hendrix.
E-adopted by Andrea55

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
sucks to be you

Quote by metal4eva_22
you fail on so many levels it's funny

Formspring

[Insert statement here]
Sorry mate, we already have 3 guitarists as it is - if I meet anyone who's after rhythm though I'll give you a shout.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
im in shef uni n lookin to see if ne 1 wants to have a jam i aint the best guitarest but meh i love playin it... im headin home for xmas so im back in like jan some time th there is exams...

if ne 1 is interested thn u can email me at ryan_sinkinson@hotmail.com or ad me on msn or w/e to chat if u want

i will play any type of music but if any one is interested in j-pop/j-rock thn im up 4 playin tht i dont know many j-pop/j-rock songs so if some one could tell me some artists or songs i can leasrn n listen to its much appreciated

l8az