I was planning on getting a Marshall MG100 HDFX , but after seeing the sheer hatred towards it, made me realise, perhaps , it's not such a good idea. I'm gonna stick with Marshall, but can anyone help me out , My budget is around £400/£500. I play in a metal band, and I guess the only way I could describe our sound would be In Flames/At The Gates/Lamb Of God/Children of Bodom(Without the Keys)

So, quite riff heavy , but still with melody/guitar solo's

Cheers

And i'm quite aware the Marshall MG is about as welcome on here as Gary Glitter is in playgrounds, so , Don't rant about how bad it is.
If you play those styles, I wouldn't be looking at Marshall at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
you dont need a marshall. what you need is some real research. for those styles you need a high gain amp and probably something around the lines of a peavey 5150, or 6505. or one of those bugera clones (6262, 6260). you could even go with something with less gain if your prepared to buy pedals etc. dont go near that marshall. and you dont need a marshall. your sound is more easily achieved with something else in your price range
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Peavey 5150 FTW.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Thing is, I put a £25 deposit on the that head and an MG412A, so, Im thinking, If I tell the guy in the store I just want the cab, would that work with a peavey head?
Sorry guys, complete head and cab n00b, i've used Combo's all my life

Cheers
Peavey 5150

/thread

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
why do you need a halfstack? combo is a better bet in your price range and can be just as loud. if you bought a 5150 combo used it would be about the same price as the combo you wanted originally, sound louder, and sound ridiculously better. no point in a halfstack unless you are a professional touring musician with roadies.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
I do gig quite frequently though, And at some of the venues we play, i'm not saying they're all stadiums and arenas, but a combo just doesn't cut it.
Just listened to the song on your band profile. Are you looking to change your tone a lot? because i'm not hearing the influences from "In Flames/At The Gates/Lamb Of God/Children of Bodom(Without the Keys)".

You guys sound really good, some nice riffs, but your sound is much more post-hardcore than metal. If your trying to keep the same tone you have now you might not need a super high-gain amp.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
The cab does matter. I would forget about the Marshall completely, and never mutter that name again. Go with the Peavey.
Quote by Necrophagist777
Just listened to the song on your band profile. Are you looking to change your tone a lot? because i'm not hearing the influences from "In Flames/At The Gates/Lamb Of God/Children of Bodom(Without the Keys)".

You guys sound really good, some nice riffs, but your sound is much more post-hardcore than metal. If your trying to keep the same tone you have now you might not need a super high-gain amp.

Unfortunatley none of that's our gear, there was an Orange Marshall Half Stack that I used in the studio we went to, and the songs are pretty old,
Not trying to make excuses lol
Quote by ReaperWaits
Unfortunatley none of that's our gear, there was an Orange Marshall Half Stack that I used in the studio we went to, and the songs are pretty old,
Not trying to make excuses lol

Ok, IMO it sounds good but is that the tone your looking for? or do you want something much heavier?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
Ok, IMO it sounds good but is that the tone your looking for? or do you want something much heavier?

Much heavier, not, like, CC kinda heavy, but, just with alot more tone, cuz that just sounds like razor sharp fuzz.
Quote by ReaperWaits
Much heavier, not, like, CC kinda heavy, but, just with alot more tone, cuz that just sounds like razor sharp fuzz.

Cool, a 5150 should suit you well, it has gain out the wazoo

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
Cool, a 5150 should suit you well, it has gain out the wazoo

Any idea how much that'll cost?
Quote by ReaperWaits
Thing is, I put a £25 deposit on the that head and an MG412A, so, Im thinking, If I tell the guy in the store I just want the cab, would that work with a peavey head?
Sorry guys, complete head and cab n00b, i've used Combo's all my life

Cheers

That cab is pretty much crap. I'd get your money back.

You know, I am able to get gig-able volumes with a 40 watt 2x10" combo. Perhaps your problem is that you've been using solid state combos. Tube combos are much louder than solid state combos of the same wattage.
Quote by ReaperWaits
Any idea how much that'll cost?

You can only buy them used and the head is around $500 or $600 from what i've seen. not sure how many euros that is. But I think the combo will more than loud enough. The Combos are around 600 or 700 and THEY ARE VERY LOUD! 60 watt 2x12 could blow a house down.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Nov 19, 2008,
Quote by Necrophagist777
You can only buy them used and the head is around $500 or $600 from what i've seen. not sure how many euros that is. But I think the combo will more than loud enough. The Combos are around 600 or 700 and THEY ARE VERY LOUD! 60 watt 2x12 could blow a house down.

Fair enough

Put another song up if you're interested, Same studio and gear, Just much heavier song lol

Cheers
Quote by ReaperWaits
Fair enough

Put another song up if you're interested, Same studio and gear, Just much heavier song lol

Cheers

I see what your going for now, great song!!!! Awesome riffs.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
randall and bugera do afforable, metal orientated combos
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
randall and bugera do afforable, metal orientated combos

Good options but i think a used 5150 combo is a much better option. Pretty much same price range, but much greater reliability and tone.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
spose so

deffo an option if you cant find a used 5150

i havent come across one recently
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
spose so

deffo an option if you cant find a used 5150

i havent come across one recently

i think one guy here on UG is trying to sell his. jcp42877 is his username.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra