The V Series has gotten good to great reviews. For the price of the amp, switching out the tubes is also an option to get a nicer sound. I haven't seen much about the 33 but I have seen good to great reviews on the 50 and the 18 amp models.

I believe that the product line has been discountinued which is why it is so inexpensive- the V18 1x12 combo is hard to come by now, I think it's the first one to begin getting low in stock.

After checking it out, I can tell you that one's on my christmas list- not the 33, but an 18, and only because it's a practice amp for bedroom playing.

You may need to consider new tubes and a pedal to get the most out of the amp, but for the price, you might already expect that.
The crate v series is not the best, but they certainly are a good deal for the price. Takes some real eq tweaking to get good sounds out of most of them. I own the v18 and it sounds really nice with single coil pups, not so much with humbuckers.

As for quality, I don't know. Mine constantly smells hot, but I haven't run into a problem yet after a few months of ownership.
For rock and hardrock its good.

Blues to easy.

All you need is an OD to really dig into hardrock.

And then it sounds pretty damn good stock, alot of people wouldnt like it obviosly compared to other amps its not as good, but for the money what do you expect, just push the tubes a bit and your set with an OD.

Its got that garage sound, its got its own charecter, its not really a rehashed sound ,and ive grown to love it.

EDIT:In the end after you are finished with it, since its so cheap and it dosent sound all that great compared to other amps(but still tons better than SS stuff with pedals) youll come out a better player, cause playing with an inferrior amp is like practicing with waits on, and when you move up to a better amp youll be a seasoned player.

Thats why its not the best to start of with a mesa boogie, or a 5150, or a Twin or whatever, cause people dont know how to EQ properly, and use the amps gain and volume knobs properly and there left very disapointed.

^this guy is right, on single coils it sounds superb on the clean side, but if you want to play heavier stuff humbuckers will be nedded.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 19, 2008,
so you guys would definantly agree that its a step up from a spider III? lol

i have an ibanez with humbuckers, and i do like to play hard rock like metallica, soad, seether, etc... but i also like classic rock like acdc and stuff.

i have an opportunity to get rid of the spider and possibly buy this amp and a stomp box for distortion for about the same price, and i am leaning towards doing this.
Quote by burrit0
Say your friend was high and doesn't know what he's talking about.
so which is louder a v18 2x12 or a v50 1x12
Quote by burrit0
Quote by ibnz
so which is louder a v18 2x12 or a v50 1x12

v50 > v18

More speakers doesn't mean more volume.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
i have the new v100 and its got really good tone for the price
$330 for 8 tubes is pretty damn good
just hope that you get one with alright wiring (my first one shorted)
oh and if youre playing metal, get a pedal
the OD channel is classic oriented
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Quote by sesstreets
v50 > v18

v50=v18

the v18 is crazy loud and its class a which makes it about as loud than the class ab v50.

I've heard the v33 isn't that much louder than the v18, but they both have class a circuitry.

the v33 has 4 tubes the v18 has only 2.
they both have legit spring reverb.

another plus is that the v33 has 2 channels and its only about 50 dollars more then the v18 212. i think i want to get the v33 but i just havn't seen many reviews since they made less of the v33's to begin with.

to the guy witht he 100 watt head. Its new? do youknow when they came out?
Quote by sesstreets
v50 > v18

"HHHHHMMMMM"

Thats total BS, you obviosly havent played either amps.

The Vox at 50 watts is loud, but SS so the sound sounds really shrill when you bust the thigh up and gets alot more bussier than anything, its loud but it sounds like crap with certain models.

The V18 with 112 by its self can easily outpower a AD50 with volume at 4 and gain at 6, and it dosent sound bad at all, compared to the AD50 its 10 times better, better reaction, cleaner more warm sound. And its cheaper to.
Plus it takes pedals way better, trough a V18 my CM-2 TO easily maxes out a AD50 with the level anywhere past 11 clock and gain 8 o'clock or higher, with the amps volume at 5 and the gain at 4.
I also get better clean by putting the gain at 1 or 2 and using the CM-2 as a clean boost.

I dont mind that i dont have all the modeler amps like in the AD50 because the CM-2 or just any descent OD pedal trough a tube amp, even a cheap ass chinese radio tube amp like the V18 sounds better than alot of modelers for hella cheap, better than flextone IMO to.

You just get alot of variaty when you have a good cheap simple set up with a good
OD like the CM-2, i can get nice bold ballsy cleans by using the LO knob and bringing down the HI and adjust it in a way to give the LO a bit of Top End, or do the opposite and get a nice chimney clean sound.

Also on the Dirty side a can get a good range of DS sounds more than on the AD50(no kidding) that like i said before sound tons better than the AD50 for cheaper.

My entire spending was 250 for a V18 and a CM-2 TO, and about 280 for the AD50 when they first came out about a year ago, the V18 isnt a perfect amp stock.Need less to say the endless review about the V18 being overwhelmingly bassy is true and in my opinion makes the amp very hallow and dry sounding, but with an OD pedal, especially with one as good as the CM-2 youll be surprised how much your amp transforms, becomes more livelier, warmer, and offers more dynamics overall.

I can go on and on how much better a tube amp with pedals is compared to alot of SS amps. I think ive actually become a better player now, its just theres so many tonal ranges i can get to now that i couldnt before, I am really happy.

It is true, TUBES>SS.....most of the time, depending on your applications.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/images/icons/icon15.gif
Edit: I just saw the post again, my bad, Im really high, look like a real douche now, this is the kind of stuff they should put on those Anti marijuna comercials.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 22, 2008,
^Wow.

Take another hit, bro, you'll forget about it soon enough.
Quote by THEKID546
"HHHHHMMMMM"

Thats total BS, you obviosly havent played either amps.

The Vox at 50 watts is loud, but SS so the sound sounds really shrill when you bust the thigh up and gets alot more bussier than anything, its loud but it sounds like crap with certain models.

The V18 with 112 by its self can easily outpower a AD50 with volume at 4 and gain at 6, and it dosent sound bad at all, compared to the AD50 its 10 times better, better reaction, cleaner more warm sound. And its cheaper to.
Plus it takes pedals way better, trough a V18 my CM-2 TO easily maxes out a AD50 with the level anywhere past 11 clock and gain 8 o'clock or higher, with the amps volume at 5 and the gain at 4.
I also get better clean by putting the gain at 1 or 2 and using the CM-2 as a clean boost.

I dont mind that i dont have all the modeler amps like in the AD50 because the CM-2 or just any descent OD pedal trough a tube amp, even a cheap ass chinese radio tube amp like the V18 sounds better than alot of modelers for hella cheap, better than flextone IMO to.

You just get alot of variaty when you have a good cheap simple set up with a good
OD like the CM-2, i can get nice bold ballsy cleans by using the LO knob and bringing down the HI and adjust it in a way to give the LO a bit of Top End, or do the opposite and get a nice chimney clean sound.

Also on the Dirty side a can get a good range of DS sounds more than on the AD50(no kidding) that like i said before sound tons better than the AD50 for cheaper.

My entire spending was 250 for a V18 and a CM-2 TO, and about 280 for the AD50 when they first came out about a year ago, the V18 isnt a perfect amp stock.Need less to say the endless review about the V18 being overwhelmingly bassy is true and in my opinion makes the amp very hallow and dry sounding, but with an OD pedal, especially with one as good as the CM-2 youll be surprised how much your amp transforms, becomes more livelier, warmer, and offers more dynamics overall.

I can go on and on how much better a tube amp with pedals is compared to alot of SS amps. I think ive actually become a better player now, its just theres so many tonal ranges i can get to now that i couldnt before, I am really happy.

It is true, TUBES>SS.....most of the time, depending on your applications.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/images/icons/icon15.gif
Edit: I just saw the post again, my bad, Im really high, look like a real douche now, this is the kind of stuff they should put on those Anti marijuna comercials.

xD lol I was laughing at this up until the point I realized he quoted me.

Then I started laughing harder lol. No hard feelings. but... I have played both amps at guitar center and I've turned both up the v50 is louder.

So case in point:

50 watts is louder than 18 watts. Speaker size and quantity affects tone shaping not over all volume. 50 watts tube doesn't equal 50 watts solid state. Regardless of brand or speaker setups.

/thread

Also! Originally the op asked the question why are they so cheap. Crate has either gotten sold out or has been under new management. They are currently working on a supposed high quality all around tube amp for multiple sound characteristics. IE metal blues etc etc.

So they chopped the prices on all of their v series amps to get rid of them. They have officially stopped making them, but that doesn't mean there aren't tons of them in warehouses.

So get one of them while they're cheap.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
xD lol I was laughing at this up until the point I realized he quoted me.

Then I started laughing harder lol. No hard feelings. but... I have played both amps at guitar center and I've turned both up the v50 is louder.

So case in point:

50 watts is louder than 18 watts. Speaker size and quantity affects tone shaping not over all volume. 50 watts tube doesn't equal 50 watts solid state. Regardless of brand or speaker setups.

/thread

Also! Originally the op asked the question why are they so cheap. Crate has either gotten sold out or has been under new management. They are currently working on a supposed high quality all around tube amp for multiple sound characteristics. IE metal blues etc etc.

So they chopped the prices on all of their v series amps to get rid of them. They have officially stopped making them, but that doesn't mean there aren't tons of them in warehouses.

So get one of them while they're cheap.

Did you read into the fact that that he was not talking about Crate in his rant? He said Vox. AD50VT to be exact.

:facepalm
Quote by imgooley

Did you read into the fact that that he was not talking about Crate in his rant? He said Vox. AD50VT to be exact.

:facepalm

He's high he won't know the difference.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
He's high he won't know the difference.

anyways MASSIVE FAIL by me.

Sorry its just im really slow enough as it is and i just got my check yesterday and i got an 1/8 of some really bomb ****, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Quote by SkAsupafly
v50=v18

they both have legit spring reverb.

I use the reverb on a low setting, but I wouldn't call it legit it's really unusable if you crank it past 9 o'clock unless you want wierd extreme spacey sounds.

I think it's a pretty bad reverb, but I can't complain for the price, and I do use it in extreme moderation.
I had a V33 212 but returned it. With no master volume, it was just too loud for my purposes (99% bedroom jamming). I couldnt see spending as much on an attenuator as I did the amp to get the tone and volume I wanted. But it did sound good with an OD pedal.
2007 Fender Mexi-Strat HSS, 1977 Les Paul Custom (under construction), Fender Sonoran AE, 19?? Fender Pro Reverb, Peavey Vypyr 75
when my v33 is on standby the light flashes on and off in a consistent pattern. is this normal? does anyone else have this problem?
lol i meant to compare the v33 212 with the v50 112 and not the v18 versus the v50 lol.

does the v50 only have 1 channel or what? someone said something about no master volume and i am wondering about that.

i will be playing alot in a smaller room, but i have played several 40-50w tube amps before and i do not think they are too loud. i would rather have a amp that has plenty of headroom than get an 18w amp and have to have it cranked all the way just to keep up with a band.

so basically i am debating between the v33 212 and the v50 112.

i am considering getting a 2x12 cab or maybe a 4x12 cab if i get the 50w 112, however i do not really want to just get a half stack (right now). would that be a bad idea?
Quote by burrit0
Quote by twistedLV
I had a V33 212 but returned it. With no master volume, it was just too loud for my purposes (99% bedroom jamming). I couldnt see spending as much on an attenuator as I did the amp to get the tone and volume I wanted. But it did sound good with an OD pedal.

The V33 has two channels, one with a gain control.

Just saying.