I was listening to this song on repeat today. I was just wondering what key it's in and what scales he uses. Thanks.

The chords in the intro seem to be Amaj7 and E added 9th so I find it really confusing to tell what the key is. If I were to improvise over this chord progression what scales/modes could I use?
Looks like a I-V progression in A major. A major would work over all of it. You could follow the changes and use arpeggios over each chord or play in A major over A and E major over the E. There are a lot of possibilities of different things to use over each chord, look up some mode theory if you wanna learn more.
Last edited by Deep-Sea-Seamus at Nov 19, 2008,
Quote by Gilbert666
play what sounds good ? dont always rely on theory

You filthy animal, get out of here. What rubbish is this? The man clearly has a desire to learn and you tell him to fumble around in the dark.
Naw mate ignore those boring theory books just focus your chi and Play What Sounds good. Heh, you can't do that? Maybe you werent born with every possible musical idea already ingrained in your mind like me, heh *puts on sunglasses* Dont take those classes in archetecture mate just Build Me A Building. Don't study chemistry just make me some freakin acid mate.

*kicks old ass theory professor down a flight of stairs, plays ripping guitar solo*
lol deep sea; did u need to make 3 posts? there's an edit button u know

Anyways to Ts, Both of the answers given will do.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Deep-Sea-Seamus
Naw mate ignore those boring theory books just focus your chi and Play What Sounds good. Heh, you can't do that? Maybe you werent born with every possible musical idea already ingrained in your mind like me, heh *puts on sunglasses* Dont take those classes in archetecture mate just Build Me A Building. Don't study chemistry just make me some freakin acid mate.

*kicks old ass theory professor down a flight of stairs, plays ripping guitar solo*

And make sure to rub your chakras 3 times a day, or your playing will have no emotion.

As for the song, I'm pretty sure the whole thing is in E, with a mix of E major and E minor pentatonic.
Thanks for the help folks, but I'm still not clear about whether its in A or in E. Guess I should actually play over the song to see which sounds better...
If I recall, it's in E major.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.