I'm really not sure what forum to put this on. But I thought I'd give this one a go since I am the frontman/bandleader.

My band Slevren is gonna be going on tour in the next few months and were stocking up on as much of anything as we can. Were planning on living out of this huge van we have that fits everything, and then some. This is gonna be our first tour as a band, so were really excited and a bit anxious. Were planning on trying to carve a path from San Francisco to LA to Austin Texas then up to Seattle. We've booked a good deal of gigs in the small towns we'll pass. But were pretty much touring virgins. Were all really great friends. So while we'll prolly have a few nights where we'll want to kill each other. I really dont think fighting will be that much of a problem.

So any road veterans out there have any advice? Tips and tricks for surviving. Advice for getting as much money as you can out of gigs and such. Were aiming to depart Half Moon Bay with at least 2k in our pockets. Is that enough? We could really use any kind of advice there is relating to being as thrifty as possible and all that.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Quote by ZeBubba!
I'm really not sure what forum to put this on. But I thought I'd give this one a go since I am the frontman/bandleader.

My band Slevren is gonna be going on tour in the next few months and were stocking up on as much of anything as we can. Were planning on living out of this huge van we have that fits everything, and then some. This is gonna be our first tour as a band, so were really excited and a bit anxious. Were planning on trying to carve a path from San Francisco to LA to Austin Texas then up to Seattle. We've booked a good deal of gigs in the small towns we'll pass. But were pretty much touring virgins. Were all really great friends. So while we'll prolly have a few nights where we'll want to kill each other. I really dont think fighting will be that much of a problem.

So any road veterans out there have any advice? Tips and tricks for surviving. Advice for getting as much money as you can out of gigs and such. Were aiming to depart Half Moon Bay with at least 2k in our pockets. Is that enough? We could really use any kind of advice there is relating to being as thrifty as possible and all that.

bring dvds ...
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
this probably isn't the reply you're looking for, but where in seattle are you playing, and when?
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
Quote by Shukman_Jr
this probably isn't the reply you're looking for, but where in seattle are you playing, and when?

Seattle's the last "big" city were aiming to play so it'd prolly be around the end of next year. We already know a few club/bar owners that love letting bands play. Were gonna stay there for a while too, since thats where we can probably make the most money. We'll need to refill our accounts and all that. But yeah, that wont be for a while.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
in accordance to ur post in the pit;

ive never played a gig but
i guess u can do to supermarkets and get ham or watever and a loaf of bread and a woman and have her make u a sammich
and maybe u can call the radio station and ask if they will play ur songs and support u?
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
^ Thats a really good Idea with the radio stations. Were pretty well known locally, But we really want to try and stretch out as much as possible.
Quote by kranoscorp

lots of water bottles and lots of toiler paper, cover the van in sleeping bags so you can just pass out anywhere. If you can try to get away from your band at points, b/c being on the road with the same people for a few months is going to starting getting to you pretty quick, no matter how good of friends you are.
not showerings... gonna be fun...

you gonnaa smellllll

nah try and like.. i dunno find showers? =s
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
^ lol yeh thats priority one for me. I figure you can buy soap and all that for cheap. Than just shower at like a public pool early in the morning. It'd suck, but it beats smelling bad I guess.
Quote by kranoscorp

Take a large bag, if there ain't a toilet in your van, place a p!ss bottle, (if you can't find anything with a wide neck, take a funnel. Seriously, try pissing in a bottle with a narrow neck in the back of a moving van and you'll soon find out why) toilet roll, towel, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste and a first aid package containing paracetamol (for headaches) and ibuprofen (for any other aches and pains) and a selection of sticking plasters bandages and antiseptic cream.
Take a roll of dustbin bags too. (The dustbin bags are VERY important as they have a number of uses, such as for putting your dirty washing in, throwing up in, having a dump in, ect... just don't get 'em mixed up. ) Also take a few changes of clothing including fresh underwear for every day and a sleeping bag.
Take deoderant too, but don't put it on in the van.
After a wild night, make sure whoever is driving is in a good enough condition to drive.
Be courteous to everyone you meet, especialy promoters and sound engineers.
Be on time for sounchecks and all other stage calls.
Don't wreck dressing rooms and hotel rooms.
While another band is onstage, don't be noisy backstage.
Remember, you are now part of a business, so be businesslike.
Take something to ease bordom, games, books, ect. Much of your time will be taken up either in the van, waiting for soundchecks, or waiting for your performance. I usualy use this time to sleep, then I've got plenty of energy for the stage.
Don't be tempted to play practical jokes on each other all the time. This can be funny for the first few times but soon gets old, (especialy when your locked up in a van together all day) and can lead to arguments and stress.
You are about to spend a lot of time locked up in a van with your buddies, so respect everyone else's personal space because personal space will become more and more important to everyone as the tour progresses.
Clean the van out every day, stuff accumulates, empty bottles, food packaging ect.
Most important of all, look after each other and enjoy yourselves.

Be as self sufficient as possible, sleep in the van and don't eat out, go to supermarkets and buy bread and different sandwich fillers, or dried foods that just require boiling water, (in which case you're gonna need to take a kettle) if your van doesn't have any power for boiling kettles, don't worry, the venues will.

As for money.
Are you planning on taking any promotional items for sale? This can quite often be a nice little sideline that can bring in extra revenue.
Don't try getting extra money from venue owners or promoters. You should have already arranged a price for your services at every venue you play at before you play there. The price of your gigs should reflect how much you need for food and petrol money to the next venue.
Save as much money as is humanly possible before you set off, but try not to dip into it, it's there for emergencies only. What if the van breaks down and you need to get it repaired? That could easily make a huge dent in or even completely use up whatever funds you have stashed away all at once. What if a venue stiffs you on your wages and you don't have enough petrol to get to the next venue? (Incidently, if a venue tries this, stick to your guns, ask them if they would stiff anyone else that they had hired to do a job for them, say... a plumber or bar staff) This is what your funds that you take with you is for.

How long is the tour? If it's quite a long one, make sure you have booked regular days off, at least once a week. And on your days off, go and explore whatever town or city you find yourself in, go to museums, art galleries, whatever, DO NOT spend the day getting wrecked because that would be totaly counter productive to the whole point of having a day off. Have a proper cooked meal on this day too if you can and it's also a good opportunity for people to spend time away from the rest of the band if they feel they could do with a bit of space to themselves for a while, but make sure everyone has a mobile phone with them before they set off anywhere on their own.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Nov 20, 2008,
You aren't rock stars. Don't act like them. Everyone you meet at venues are more important than you

Sound guy is god. He has a "Rock" button and a "Suck" Button
Everybody who works at a venue talks to the booking agent. All booking agents talk to each other. You piss off one and you're ****ed.

If you stay in a hotel (which is a bad idea and a waste of money) don't trash it. You aren't Aersomith or The Stones.

If you know anyone in the city you're playing, CALL THEM!!! Get a place to stay for free. Or if you have any fans in that city then tell them you'll put them on the guest list if they will put you up for the night.

Stock up on strings, picks, fuses, anything that you may need to replace. Also familiarize yourself with your gear. It saves a ton of money to fix stuff on your own, especially your van.

If you find yourself in a bind at a show, don't be afraid to ask the other bands for help. Musicians are chill, they'll probably let you use a guitar for the rest of your set if you break strings on all your back ups. I mean, don't ask fo r like an amp, that's ridiculous, but all musicians understand that we're all in the game together.

Talk up the locals, make them remember you. If you tour again, you want a regional fan base.

Lastly, even if you aren't rock stars and don't act like one, Promote like you're the biggest band ever. Since the start, Gene Simmonds has been promoting KISS like they've been rock legends since the dawn of time. Get people to your shows, make them feel like they're seeing the biggest band from your locale. And bring the goods. Don't ever play a ****ty show.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!