So i retubed my Hot Rod deluxe literally just now..

JJ Tubes for all:

6L6GC's in the power t00bs

and ECC832, ECC81 and ECC83S in the phase inverter.

The guy at the website told me this is the ideal setup for the tubing setup I was after but...

It's a whole ton quieter! I can get it to full volume in my room, literally no problems on the clean channel... before it would of just blown my face off past like... 3.

I haven't biased yet.. but he said they should sound great (just not perfect) without a bias... is that what im doing wrong?
well if you're maxed and still quite...you've almost reached the treasure of the mythical land people call "Ampagoto11"

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
IIRC, that amp comes stock with ecc83's for the whole preamp, so dropping in an 82 and 81 for the gain stages would drop the gain/volume quite a bit. it wouldnt exactly make an HRD suddenly a bedroom amp but maybe i just misinterpreted your description of the volume drp.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
The ECC82s will drop the volume a fair bit (ECC82 has a gain of 19, ECC83 has a gain of 100!!) but it will not be "bedroom" volume. You sure you've installed the valves properly? Are they all lighting up? Are you able to use a multi-meter?
Who gave you that recommendation? Eurotubes?
And if you can turn it all the way up comfortably one of the tubes isn't working properly. Put your old preamp tubes back in one at a time to see which one's broken.
Quote by Roc8995
Who gave you that recommendation? Eurotubes?
And if you can turn it all the way up comfortably one of the tubes isn't working properly. Put your old preamp tubes back in one at a time to see which one's broken.

thats what i thought - they are all lighting up properly, but i guess that might not mean they are actually working properly?
Yeah, I only mentioned that as a starting point. Lighting up just means the filaments are working ok. The valve could still be faulty.
What tone were you after, this is a unusual combination in a modern amp?
Can you try the old preamp valves, swap each one at a time until the volume recovers, that's yer faulty valve. If this doesn't fix it let us know.
Well I was told its a good combination for maximum headroom and a warmer tone?

I shall try swapping out each preamp valve for the old ones and see if that works, then report back.