hello all, ive been thinking about building a neck thru for a while. my first build (a set neck) came out pretty well so im riding that whilst looking at the neck thru idea. any tips /hints when it comes to building them. cheers in advance
A tip is that you take some wooden parts made out of the material youre gonna use, but you just take parts big enough to make the beginning of the neck (where the highest frets are) and a small part of the body. Then you can practise the design without spending too much money on wood and without the guitar looking bad at the end product.
Well, make sure the neck goes through the guitar

I'd reccommend using a laminate neck, for improved strength. Don't focus so much on the tonal qualities of the wood as much as the aesthetic value, because in the end, you won't hear much of a difference (PLEASE let's not start another dicussion on this!).

PICS!
------

Shwiggity.
ok cheers, all sounds good to me, i will get pics up when i get around to building it hehe, and i hate laminate necks, i also hate lacquers as well . anyway again, cheers all
Quote by deftonesordie
Well, make sure the neck goes through the guitar

I'd reccommend using a laminate neck, for improved strength. Don't focus so much on the tonal qualities of the wood as much as the aesthetic value, because in the end, you won't hear much of a difference (PLEASE let's not start another dicussion on this!).

PICS!

Oh dear god no!!! *ducks and covers*

also,
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Nov 20, 2008,
Cool. good thing the wood fans aren't on tonight or we'd have a good old fashioned threadjack going on
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by LP Addict
do maple and a darker wood. like :

good idea I always liked that look.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.