Well, I've been using the same acoustic guitar my stepbrother gave me over 4 years ago, that was he first bought when he was 6 (he was 21 when he gave it to me). It's not in good condition at all, and it wouldn't be a great guitar even if it was.

So with Christmas fast approaching, I'm thinking of asking for an Electro-Acoustic. I'm not looking for anything expensive (Anything under £150 would be good). I'm primarily an electric player, so I don't know much about acoustic guitars. As long as it's electro-acoustic, has strap holders and sounds half decent, I'll be happy.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to any guitars I should look at. I know I should try some out, but a point in the right direction would be nice.

Why do you want an electro-acoustic rather than a normal acoustic? Are you planning on using it for gigging? It'd be a far better idea to get a better quality acoustic for that price that spend half your money on fairly low-grade electricals.

Check out some of the Yamahas around that sort of range. Presumably you play standard rock/pop type stuff rather than folk or classical?
Yeah, that's why I want an Electro-Acoustic. I'm not gigging week in week out, but I do a fair amount so an Electro-Acoustic would come in handy.

And yeah, I do generally play more rock/pop stuff, dabble in folk a bit, but no classical at all.

EDIT: I've just stumbled across this http://www.gear4music.com/inventory-detail/index/?int_product_id=9191&gad=COO_5foBEgjUTSM1_6-iXBi0mZL_AyDfv5AR

Anyone know if that'd be any good? Looks right up my street.

I'm a real acoustic guitar noob though and I've just got a couple of questions.

Do all electro-acoustics have the one strap pin on the end of the guitar?

And what sorta strings is an electro-acoustic like the one I've linked likely to come with standard?
Last edited by matt bickerton at Nov 19, 2008,
Most, if not all, will come with a strap pin. I seem to remember that's where you plug in, and all.
I think Yamahas use some random american strings standard. They'll be medium, 12 guage. See if you like them and swap around if you don't. They're pretty good guitars for the price..

although thinking about it, aim for solid top if you can afford it.
Solid tops age better than laminate tops, basically. You'll get a better tone over the years.
Quote by 11yunited
Solid tops age better than laminate tops, basically. You'll get a better tone over the years.

They don't just age better, they also tend to have better tone, volume, and projection from the outset.

That's because an acoustic guitar relies on the vibration of the wood to create sound. The entire body vibrates, but most of it is in the top since that's where the strings attach. That's why you get the most bang for your buck going from all-laminate construction to a solid top with laminate back and sides. Then as you go further up in price you have guitars with a solid top and back, and then all solid wood guitars.

Think about it this way - you have one piece of wood that's basically plywood, a bunch of scrap wood pressed together with glue, and another piece of wood is just one solid piece cut along the grain. Which piece of wood do you think will vibrate more freely and produce a clearer, purer tone?

That said, a well built laminate could still sound better than a poorly built solid top guitar, but given the same build quality, the solid top will sound better and louder. You see, acoustic players are tone nuts because we don't get the benefit of effect pedals and amps - what you hear is what you get.

Also be aware that different types of wood produce different types of tone. Spruce is the most popular wood for tops of steel-string acoustics, because it's stiff enough to withstand heavy strumming without the tone getting muddy. Many classical guitars are made with cedar tops, which is softer and gives better response to fingerstyle playing. Those are just the most common types of wood used, there are many many more and each has its own tonal characteristics that suit different types of music and playing.

It's really quite fascinating. Google "tone woods" to read about all the different types. I'm just rambling now, so I'll stop.
Interesting stuff...seems like acoustic wood can be a touch more important than electric wood.

Only thing is, I don't really fancy going much above my £150 budget, because as I said, I'm more of an electric player.

Well, I suppose I'll just have to try a load out. Thanks for the help guys